No announcement yet.

WORLD CUP (There, I've done it)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got in from watching the match and yes...everyone's a critic.

Comment

• What the ref actually saw:

aka
      Suzie

Comment

• I didnt think we were good enough to beat Germany, and so it came to pass.
        Yes it was a shocking lapse by the officials, but even if we had gone in level at half time, we would almost definitely still have been stuffed by a far superior side. However, when you consider the low base England were playing from, Germany wouldnt have to have done much to be superior side.
        I am totally at a loss to understand why we have the quality of players we do, and yet played so badly, consistantly throughout the competition.

I also think we should have an English manager, not from a xenephobic stand point, just the simple matters of getting your point of view across in "exactly" the manner you want to, plus the passion that comes from managing your own nations football team.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

• In my opinion the problem started many years ago when the Football League dropped the 4 foreigners rule.This was always going to impact on the national team as our own youngsters were not allowed to go through the ranks. I say bring back the 4 foreigners rule for the sake of english football.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• In 20 years time we will be talking about "the goal that never was" against the Germans, we may well have goalline technology by then, but I doubt that we will be remembering just how awful we were in that match. The "hand of God" is mentioned often but few seem to remember that we were pretty much outplayed by the Argentinians, and that the second goal Maradona scored must rank in the top 10 of World Cup Great Goals.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

• Never mind the quality feel the width!
              Last edited by bubblewrap; 01-07-2010, 04:56 PM.
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

• Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                Never mind the quality feel the width!
                What width?.......There wasn't any.......
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                  In 20 years time we will be talking about "the goal that never was" against the Germans, we may well have goalline technology by then, but I doubt that we will be remembering just how awful we were in that match. The "hand of God" is mentioned often but few seem to remember that we were pretty much outplayed by the Argentinians, and that the second goal Maradona scored must rank in the top 10 of World Cup Great Goals.
                  To be fair, whilst our performance isn't discussed much the second Maradonna goal is regularly commented on for it's brilliance.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Something that makes my head shake all the time: The BBC keeps on going about the 1966 final, but never once mentioned the controversial goal by England, which was a fairly similar but role reversed situation to the goal disallowed during the WC Germany England game.

look here: Third Goal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is why I the British news broadcasting (nevermind which channel) irritates me so much. Carefully picked pieces of information, without context is sold as important headline news, while the actual world moving, significant news is hidden in amongst celebs and sports. bah!!! should have posted this in minor rants.
                    http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

• What would worry me most if I was an England fan (when hell freezes over) is not the disallowed goal but the altitude of the players and comentators. They will use it as an excuse to mask all their other failings. Not one sports comentater in any of the English media has apologised for overhypeing the team and raising the fans hopes that a very average team in World terms could win the cup. Neither have any of the players made any apology to the fans who spent thousands of pound to go and support them. the English fans are the only ones that can hold their heads up in the whole sorry fiasco.
                      Now the English press is claiming that Andy Murray is English,What a bunch of W-----s!!!!!!!
                      Jock

O' wad some Poo'er
                      the giftie gie us
                      tae see oor'sels
                      as ithers see us.......Robert Burns

Comment

• I'm not sure about their altitude, but the attitude of the majority of the press is the same as always, one day world beaters next day biggest losers. Its always been the same.
                        I only got home yesterday evening after a few days in England, and I read the press daily, a wide range of them, and I didnt see anywhere claiming Murray is English. He is a Jock, dont know if he counts himself as British or not, but I'm sure most people are aware of his roots, he is Scottish, end of.
                        Bob Leponge

Comment

• So England are out - they deserve to be! Ghana showed true grit and are also out unfortunately.

Most exciting and nail biting game I have ever seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                            So England are out - they deserve to be! Ghana showed true grit and are also out unfortunately.

Most exciting and nail biting game I have ever seen.
                            It was an excellent game Bren, I did feel sorry for Ghana's' No3 when he missed that penalty in the last minute. I think the rule should be changed and goal line handballs as in this case should have been given as a goal cos that's exactly what is was going to be.

Comment

• Not a bad idea that BM although it could be said that it was going to hit the defenders chest/neck area.
                              Penalty taker must be feeling terrible this morning though, he will be absolutely unconsolable, poor fella.
                              Bob Leponge

Comment

• Germany beat Argentina! What were the odds on that?
                                Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X