Volcanic Ash Cloud

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    Yeah, but think of what good all that ash will do for the plants.

Get digging in folks.
    Just what I need - more airborne particulates!

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    No sound on this lappy- but check these out!

Vocaroo | Record and send... - Ubervu social conversation
    Now that's a word I'll never be able to pronounce!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Has anyone actually seen this cloud or is it too high in the sky to be noticed? I got my washing on the line!!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggielover View Post
        Has anyone actually seen this cloud or is it too high in the sky to be noticed? I got my washing on the line!!!
        We've just been yakking about this on the chat thread Veggielover.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post653830

Comment

just been googling latest info,q & a,we may well see a different sunset tonight,a sort of lilac colour due to the gasses and the red setting sun,
          they also say the last time we had such a cloud,it made the climate a bit warmer,but bad air pollution,
          apparently the cloud possible not be seen,

the wonder's of nature
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

There's also widespread shut-down across northern Europe, Scandinavia and Russia.

Trouble is that even when it clears enough to resume flights it will be a day or so I guess before it irons out to usual scheduling as so many flights and crews will be in the wrong place.

Apparently there is unlikely to be any public health issue (yet) as the dust is resting in the upper atmosphere where planes fly. It may be some time before it settles and enriches our soil! Don't know how long this kind of thing hangs around. I think I read/heard that another volcano has started to 'fire up its Quattro' nearby - hope I got that wrong!

Comment

Oh, heck Quark1 - this is what I found by googling.

When Eyjafjallajokull last erupted in 1821 it remained active for a year – and volcanologists fear that its activity could be a precursor to an eruption of nearby Mount Katla, which might much more powerful and disruptive, both locally in Iceland and in its global impact.
              Last edited by Jeanied; 15-04-2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

It's looking more and more like the Mayans got it right (and the scientists wrong ).

With their predictions of more and more volcanic activity, earthquakes etc bulding up to the point when the earth is nearest the sun (winter solstice, 21st December 2012), at which point the earth will start to move away from the sun, towards a new ice age which will develop over the next 1000 years or so . The grand cycle of evolution I think they call it (it's taken about 5000 years to get to this point).

See it wasn't the dinasaurs 4x4s which caused the last one and it may not be our 4x4s which are responsible for this one .

Reet
                x

Comment

Eeeeeeeeeek!

(10 character minimum 'obliged' me to add uber numbers of eeeeeeee's)

Comment

Question

We have patches of blue sky here......if the cloud was above us would we be able to see it?

Comment

Apparently it is invisible to the eye - and very high up where the aircraft are, not at lower cloud level.

Comment

If you can see clouds why not this cloud ( HF has a pea brain )
                        we see very fine high up clouds? would the blue sky just not quite so blue if viewing through said cloud?

Comment

Originally posted by reetnproper View Post
                          It's looking more and more like the Mayans got it right (and the scientists wrong ).

With their predictions of more and more volcanic activity, earthquakes etc bulding up to the point when the earth is nearest the sun (winter solstice, 21st December 2012), at which point the earth will start to move away from the sun, towards a new ice age which will develop over the next 1000 years or so . The grand cycle of evolution I think they call it (it's taken about 5000 years to get to this point).

See it wasn't the dinasaurs 4x4s which caused the last one and it may not be our 4x4s which are responsible for this one .

Reet
                          x
                          True - it's the massive herds of cows in South America. The collective fart will send us off into a distant star.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Whilst we are being told that all flights are being cancelled till at least 6pm, my aunt was told that it would be three days before her flight would probably leave! She was due to arrive in Glasgow at 5pm, both airport sites say nothing next to her flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                              If you can see clouds why not this cloud ( HF has a pea brain )
                              we see very fine high up clouds? would the blue sky just not quite so blue if viewing through said cloud?
                              It is too fine and too high up, Headfry - when you fly you fly above the cloud cover - so it is above that.

Comment

Airports now closed till 7am tomorrow morning. But like someone said better to be safe if you are flying as the fine talcum powder like dust can really mess up the planes.
                                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X