No announcement yet.

Help needed! Anyone good at algebra??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=organic;638713]You obviously don't care whether you get more piza per £1 with the large on the normal menu or a couple of smalls on the specials board.
    I do not need algebra to tell me when buying porridge oats that it is cheaper to buy 2 500gram bags than i kilo bag because tescos have there pricing structure all wrong there is about 6p difference .
    I stick to imperial measure where ever possible still have feet and inches on my ruler.
    And i can do most of the numbers game on countdown in my head so what do i need all the other cluttering up my brain for...jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
      And i can do most of the numbers game on countdown in my head so what do i need all the other cluttering up my brain for...jacob
      It's just not the same since they got rid of CV
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
        We still got it it is our post code please tell me what yours is...jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

That's an easy one Jacob...
          ...I buy my porridge oats by the kg at Unicorn Grocery - cheaper than the supermarkets and organic! Win-Win!

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
            We have 2 sayings for her a mouth like a parish oven the other one she has too much of what the cow licks it's backside with .
            I much prefer Rachel much easier on the eye .. jacob
            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I too love algebra. It makes me think on a lateral plain. In other words it gets rid of all the unnecessary stuff. Just back to basics.

Comment

I had no idea that there would be so many replies to this thread! It just goes to show what a marvellous and varied place the Vine is.

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                *splort*

Sorry, my brain doesn't work with numbers!!

Now, if you wanted help with some english literature, I'm ya gal!
                Thanks OWG, but luckily there's a subject I'm very happy with. The lads were struggling with good 'ole Shakespeare the other day and I got quite carried away. Bring it on!

Originally posted by nerobot View Post
                Caught this thread too late. Was hoping to give a useful answer, but no point now. More questions please

Steven
                Well, I hate to disappoint, so here, especially for you Steven, is another one that's taxing me still (it's those darn squared thingies...)

3x2 + 3x + 5x2 + 6x = Ah. I can't get the little '2's for squared! But that was supposed to be 3x squared plus 3x plus 5x squared plus 6x. Well, you did ask!!

Enjoy!
                Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

3x^2 + 3x + 5x^2 + 6x =

8x^2 + 9x =

8x + 9

Assuming a homogeneous equation, then the equation equals zero at x = -9/8

That was fun.

Steven
                  Last edited by nerobot; 25-03-2010, 06:27 PM.
                  http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Yer, wot nerobot said, now bring on the quadratic equations
                    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Quadratic Equations:

(1)

3x^2 + 2x - 4 = 0

(2)

3x^2 + 2x + 4 = 0

(Note the sign difference before the 4)

Steven
                      http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Ours was "Some officers have curly auburn hair to offer attraction" !
                        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Quadratic Equations:

(1)

3x^2 + 2x - 4 = 0

(2)

3x^2 + 2x + 4 = 0

(Note the sign difference before the 4)

Steven
                          First one is .87 or -1.54 (approx)

Second one has complex roots as the disriminant is negative.

Comment

Interesting all the different mnemonics for Trig
                            Ours was:
                            Some Octopuses Have Children And Husbands To Order About
                            When my Dad was at school he got:
                            Some People Have Curly Black Hair Through Persistent Brushing
                            which might upset some folk....
                            I thoroughly enjoyed Maths, and Further Maths, and I was one of the few in the class that when people still hadn't understood by the end of the lesson (we had a teacher who DID answer questions), the 'still don't get it' folk asked me, or Susan, or Pauline (none of the boys were any good at explaining).
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

So how did your dad's one work then Hilary? Or am I being thick?

Comment

3x^2 + 3x + 5x^2 + 6x =

8x^2 + 9x =

8x + 9

Assuming a homogeneous equation, then the equation equals zero at x = -9/8

That was fun.

Steven
                                Sorry, from here on in y'all lost me . People's idea of fun varies, don't it?!

Steven, I may regret asking this, but how do you get those answers? I can't follow it at all. What do you do with the squared number? Times it by itself, or what? I know, I know, but I am hopeless at maths ....
                                Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X