Help needed! Anyone good at algebra??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the feeling...
    ...it was bordering on "too late" when I started typing it up and that wasn't a quick job!

If it helps, great. If not, at least the earlier posts gave you enough understanding to help the young'uns with their homework.

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
      Jeanied - I did A-Level maths!

Shhh..so did I !!!!...but don't let on you know that or peeps might start taking me seriously!!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by tiachica View Post
        You could translate this 4u+3v+12u-2v as such:

4apples add 3 pears add 12 apples take away 2 pears = 16 apples and one pear
        Brilliant - I understand!! (I say in total shock)

Comment

Originally posted by elsie-scot View Post
          OH had very bad maths teaching, partly because if you didn't understand you got into trouble, still not sure how he got his o'grade (like o'level), failed higher (like a'level) and still pretty much freaks at any maths, and can't get his head around it.
          OMG - it sounds like we had the same teacher. She got sacked for drinking on the job eventually and we had a wonderful teacher after that but the damage was already done. Now when maths is put in front me, my mind just freezes and my eyes don't see anything and I feel sick.

Comment

Yep , our maths teacher also failed to answer any of the questions of his students if he thought they were not good enough. bah!
            http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Just caught this thread and all I can say is Aaaarrrrrrrrrrr!
              Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by tiachica View Post
                You could translate this 4u+3v+12u-2v as such:

4apples add 3 pears add 12 apples take away 2 pears = 16 apples and one pear
                Originally posted by Liza View Post
                Excellent example
                Originally posted by lizzylemon View Post
                Brilliant - I understand!! (I say in total shock)
                Hey! Glad I could help! :-)
                http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
                  Just caught this thread and all I can say is Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrithmatic!

...sorry- it was asking to be changed!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Shhh..so did I !!!!...but don't let on you know that or peeps might start taking me seriously!!!
                    We should probably start a support group. Like AA but for those who were daft enough to take Maths to A-Level... ALMA maybe. Advanced-Level Mathematicians Anonymous.

"Hi, I'm 'Organic' and it's been 12 years since my last Kruskal's Algorithm... I thought about them this week though."

Comment

Reading through all the post's on this thread nothing has convinced me that there is or ever was a need for algebra or logarithms never even thought about them since leaving school work of the devil...jacob
                      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

*splort*

Sorry, my brain doesn't work with numbers!!

Now, if you wanted help with some english literature, I'm ya gal!

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
                          We should probably start a support group. Like AA but for those who were daft enough to take Maths to A-Level... ALMA maybe. Advanced-Level Mathematicians Anonymous.

"Hi, I'm 'Organic' and it's been 12 years since my last Kruskal's Algorithm... I thought about them this week though."
                          I did Maths and Further Maths A level too and really quite enjoyed it....

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                          Reading through all the post's on this thread nothing has convinced me that there is or ever was a need for algebra or logarithms never even thought about them since leaving school work of the devil...jacob
                          I use algebra most days at work and even needed to use a bit of calculus the other week.
                          Last edited by Alison; 25-03-2010, 12:52 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Caught this thread too late. Was hoping to give a useful answer, but no point now More questions please

Steven
                            http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                              You obviously don't care whether you get more piza per £1 with the large on the normal menu or a couple of smalls on the specials board.

As for real world use. It's not a regular thing, but in my line of work (surveying houses and then drawing loft conversions and extensions) I've used trig a good few times.

Even the kids who end up in "tech" subjects benefit from a healthy does of trig - especially if they end up doing metal or woodwork (or any number of other things).

I can't believe I'm defending maths lessons... Haha.

Comment

...and in it's defense..... I have to say that I was the only one in the shop selling wall tiles who could work out how many square metres we needed to buy for our 2 1/2 sided shower with a 45 degree sloping ceiling!!

Took me about 1/2 hr mind...but got there in the end!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X