No announcement yet.

Anyone got a home remedy for scars?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I've heard of the honey too. I've a book called Honey, Mudd and Maggots. Lots of healing techniques going back eons and using natural products as they appear to be just as , or even more effective as todays lotions & potions.

The maggot healing process made me green - they put eggs of the common blue bottle fly (captive bred) into pustular / gangrenous ulcers / scars etc and bind a bandage over the top to keep it all in. The hatching maggots only eat rotting meat so have a feeding frenzy and leaving all the healthy pink tissue behind. Amazingly effective but a bit stomach churning. Apparently you can feel them wriggling.

The honey for healing is a special one this link is good: Scar Treatment for Natural Healing

Comment

No two ways about it, the honey treatment is eerie, it is so fast it is... well, it seems unnatural ! But I never used Manuka or any fancy honey, quite the opposite.
      As for Vitamin E cream, or any other lotion or salve that puts EDTA or methylparaben, any such endocrine disruptors like that onto the scar, I'll bet it would do a power of no good. Bound to disrupt healing.
      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Costco do Bio Oil quite cheaply. My wife used it to prevent strech marks when she was pregnant (it did work too)...

Comment

Am I the only person that found that Bio Oil was totally useless. Bought some just before Christmas to use on a couple of scars on my legs. One of them is a large surgery scar which I didn't expect it to have much effect on and it didn't but the other one is a smallish scar which I got as a result of falling over a tent peg last year. Put the oil on every morning and night for 3 months and it's exactly the same as it was at the start. the skin might be slighly softer but then it would be with any moisturiser. Won't be falling for that one again.

Am guessing it works better for some sorts of scars than others but it seems pretty much hype to me.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
            As for Vitamin E cream, or any other lotion or salve that puts EDTA or methylparaben, any such endocrine disruptors like that onto the scar, I'll bet it would do a power of no good. Bound to disrupt healing.
            Surely - thats why I said to use the pure vitamin E capsules that peeps normally take orally as a health supplements. Plus it's much much cheaper that way.

Comment

I had a malignant Melanoma removed from my neck just over a year ago (wide excision, skin graft, gaping chasm). It has taken quite some time to come to terms with the scarring and everything else that comes with it.

It's been comforting reading this thread just knowing that other's on this forum have the same experience of living with large scars. Having said that I don't think that Bio oil is gonna do it for me

The consultant recommended a make up course (to help disguise the scar site) run by the red cross. I have not taken them up on it as a polo shirt covers most of it and I am not a sun worshipper.
              Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X