Anyone got a home remedy for scars?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
    Well actually that's one scar I won't really be trying to hide. It'll be way too big for any treatment to cover it, and it'll be one I'll be really proud of.
    Actually there are two small scars at the base of my neck and two on my chest (about 5 inches above my...nipples ) where they put a central venous catheter in. They look a bit weird because they're symmetrical across my torso, and the ones at the base of my neck are visible most of the time.

Like I said before, I'm not ashamed of them, but just want to blend them in a little.
    How about becoming a Goth then tell everyone the scars are bites from a analy retentive vampire that likes symmetry
    Thought For The Day
    If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
    Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

Originally posted by enrich100 View Post
      How about becoming a Goth then tell everyone the scars are bites from a analy retentive vampire that likes symmetry
      Or become and Emo and tell people I did them myself!
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

My bro's transplant scars are 13" long each, and he has masses on his chest/neck/arms from central lines, fistulas and various other things he had done to him! His top half looks like a flamin road map

My sis swears by bio-oil she used it on her son after limb surgery, and his skin healed in no time and stayed in good condition.
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

I'd forgotten all about my central venous catheter scars Ollie. Now you've made me go and look for them... which just goes to show how much they bother me (not at all).

Even though you'll be proud of your new scars, you do want to keep the skin supple so you don't get that tightening/puckering effect.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have to admit I didn't bother with either of my scars (1 x tumour removal & 1 x baby removal) as they're both low down & I'm a bit rubbish about that sort of thing.

However I can recommend any of these:

Almond oil - used as a carrying agent for homeopathic lotions / massage oil - see below for rest of guff.

Vitamin E oil is very good - it helps promote new cell growth and is quite cheap, all good health stores stock it in either liquid or capsules. This is actually a food supliment but is exactly the same, if not better quality than face / body specific products and much much cheaper.

Royal Jelly from Bees is also very good but I think very expensive - not sure of sourcing it either. Local Bee Keeper or a larger healthfood shop - it's a food supliment but can be rubbed directly on skin.
            Last edited by lizzylemon; 20-03-2010, 11:50 PM.

Comment

What about Zenmed! There's an ad just below this thread!

'Minimize the appearance of Scars and reduce dark spots'

Great timing Huh!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Is there a cure for the mental scarring caused by Enrich and Brengirl's repartee ?!
                The only way I know of to make scars less visible is pre-emptive, put honey on/in the wound and it helps collagen form in the normal 3D lattice structure that skin has, rather than the parallel line form that scars have (which is why they are less elastic). As a bonus, a cut healing with honey is uncannily quick, like time lapse photography.
                I hear the World Health Organisation uses it in the 3rd World, and you can get commercial wound dressings that use it - but the NHS is not exactly a big fan I don't think !
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I've acquired four neat scars in the last few weeks. I'd offer to do a test using Bio oil, honey, olive oil and almond oil on different sites to see which one is the best, but a). I still think Bio Oil is the best; and b). I'd rather use the rest in salad dressing.
                  I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                    Is there a cure for the mental scarring caused by Enrich and Brengirl's repartee ?!
                    My OH recomends alcohol but she has to deal with me first hand
                    Thought For The Day
                    If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
                    Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

Bio Oil equivalent in my local Poundland - £1.00 I don't use it but have a friend that does and she is a big fan, and it's a bargain too, compared to the branded name.
                      Last edited by mogs; 21-03-2010, 03:31 PM.
                      'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

I have quite a few scars on my head( had an argument with a motorcycle about 30 years ago) I also have a few other ugly bits hence the hair & beard.
                        Last edited by bubblewrap; 21-03-2010, 05:16 PM.
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

Bio oil is quite often cheeper at wilkinsons, it's good stuff.
                          Vit E oil works well too.
                          I find fresh aloe vera is great too, if you want me to send you a plant, PM me.
                          Last edited by lainey lou; 21-03-2010, 05:35 PM.
                          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Forget about the bio oil, just fake tan yourself orange all over - brilliant! lol

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                              Vit E oil works well too.
                              Vit E is often recommended, but apparently it's actually bad for scars.

This study shows that there is no benefit to the cosmetic outcome of scars by applying vitamin E after skin surgery and that the application of topical vitamin E may actually be detrimental to the cosmetic appearance of a scar.
                              In 90% of the cases ...vitamin E either had no effect on, or actually worsened, the cosmetic appearance of scars.
                              Of the patients studied, 33% developed a contact dermatitis to the vitamin E.
                              Therefore we conclude that use of topical vitamin E on surgical wounds should be discouraged
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-03-2010, 06:36 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'd rather use the rest in salad dressing.
                                Yes, but have you noticed - salads are often cut to absolute ribbons, and yet they never have visible scars...
                                Last edited by snohare; 21-03-2010, 08:44 PM. Reason: The wrong smilie snuck in
                                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X