No announcement yet.

twice the electric?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're with EON and they pointed out to us that people who have economy 7 tarriffs usually pay more for their daytime units, so it's actually false economy.

We switched to a tarriff with cheaper daytime units and our bill has gone down, even though the dishwasher and tumble dryer (when we need it) go on during the day now.

Jules
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I phoned up our Electricity supplier to find out what the hours are for Economy 7 and even they couldn't tell me definitely. I did try sitting up to watch the meter to see when it switched over but it got too late and i got bored

Comment

Hmmmm, some vry interesting info. Our house also has super high leccy consumption. We have storage heaters so know one of the reasons, but it doesn't explain the massive summer usage but no one wants to help us at all.

Ive been told the average house uses between 11 - 18 units in 24 hours, our house consumes on average 49 units.

I've wondered if the fruit cakes next door have hacked our power but my electrician cousin says no it's too difficult to hack into a mains supply (they'd have to do it from the outside and we can see the supply cable).

Sorry to be of absolutely no help to you.

Comment

if you have an old eco 7 mechanical time switch /meter it might be out of time if you have been having power outs
          the new meters are controlled by a radio time signal ?

also depending on how your house is wired up some circuits may not be on eco 7
          Last edited by green thing; 13-02-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzylemon View Post
            Ive been told the average house uses between 11 - 18 units in 24 hours, our house consumes on average 49 units.
            lizzylemon - that is a huge figure!! In 2009 my average usage was 9.1 KWh per day, and that includes electric heating in the greenhouse (for frost protection only). Main heating is gas but everything else electric.

I think that you should insist on having your meter changed or,at least, checked.
            Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
              You get the rate from your energy supplier
              I know what my unit rate is. What I don't know is how to work out how much electric each appliance is using.
              eg. my chest freezer is attached to the monitor, and it says 0.14 kW. So what's that in pounds and pence?

Originally posted by Gwyndy View Post
              I have logged my electricity and gas usage every week for around two years. ... You should think about doing the same.
              Er, no, I don't have time for that... I do it monthly already.

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
              We're with EON and they pointed out to us that people who have economy 7 tarriffs usually pay more for their daytime units, so it's actually false economy.
              I did a comparison on USwitch before I went to EDF: the Econ 7 was my cheapest option

Originally posted by leoblackcat View Post
              I phoned up our Electricity supplier to find out what the hours are for Economy 7 and even they couldn't tell me definitely. I did try sitting up to watch the meter to see when it switched over but it got too late and i got bored
              I just got up at 6am and it was on Night Rate, so I quickly put the dishwasher & the phones on to charge ! It went off at 7am.

Originally posted by green thing View Post
              if you have an old eco 7 mechanical time switch /meter it might be out of time if you have been having power outs
              We do. There is no clock on the unit, so how would I know ?

Originally posted by green thing View Post
              also depending on how your house is wired up some circuits may not be on eco 7
              that's interesting ... and how would I know/find out?

Thanks for your input, and everyone else's. This whole thing has led me to conclude that Econ 7 is a bit of a con: because the elec. company won't tell you or doesn't know when it comes on.

EDIT: I just found this buried in the small print: "Eco20:20's off peak electricity unit rate (which applies between 10pm until 8 am BST (or - 9pm until 7am GMT)". We're not on Eco wotsit, but Econ 7 must be the same times surely?

I'm going away now to sit in a darkened room
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-02-2010, 07:52 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                eg. my chest freezer is attached to the monitor, and it says 0.14 kW. So what's that in pounds and pence?
                naff all, its less than 3 60watt light bulbs,but you need an accumilation as the freezer will use more when the compressor is running and less when not

if your electricty costs 10p per kwh you can run the freezer for 7.14 hours or 10p

kw x cost per hour = kwh

If you compare the daytime cost and night time cost, if the problem was the freezer id expect it to raise consumption day and night and use more in the summer than winter

"figures in brackets are day rate/night rate" i suspect they are units used not cost
                I think your leccy usage could well be either an oven or Central heating,i know you have gas CH but it still has a pump which is used to circulate the water it shouldnt use much,are you still using old lightbulbs

high usage items are

ovens and hobs
                certain tvs
                kettles and irons
                washing machines
                dishwashers
                and the worst by along waybeing tumble dryers

Winter 09: £17 pcm 290/170)

Spring 09: £23 pcm (438/101)

Summer 09: £19 pcm (310/80)

Aug 09: £26 pcm (562/118)

Winter 10: £33 pcm 682/151)
                Last edited by zazen999; 14-02-2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

the timer is inside the meter is and cannot be change by the householder .if your not happy with the meter you need to get it checked out . you need to contact the local utility company (it will say on the meter this is the property of ******** ) not the electric supplier, if its a very old meter they may just swap it for a new one (it should be free of charge) ,if not ask for check meter to be put on if you think the readings are out .
                  the timing is controlled by the utility company not the electric supplier
                  if your not using storage heaters and have CH it may be cheaper to have a normal meter fitted and do away with
                  the econ 7
                  most electric supplier have a more expensive day rate if you are on econ 7
                  I would find out how much a normal rate is and if it works out cheaper
                  then you can put your dishwasher on any time you like
                  Last edited by green thing; 14-02-2010, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annacruachan View Post
                    If you don't keep your freezer full, TS, it eats up the lecky. Just stuffing small boxes or crumpled newspaper into it helps to reduce the amount you are using. Not saying that this is the primary reason for your bigger bills, and your freezer may be stuffed to the top, but it could help.
                    Forgot about that!................Bernie (two freezers DDL) goes off to totally empty second freezer that has just garlic bread in it.............unplugs it ready to defrost and give to someone Mr DDL works with.

Bernie (just the one freezer, how on earth am I going to manage? DDL)
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Garlic bread

Comment

Garlic !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Bread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                            kw x cost per hour = kwh
                            ah! that simple!

are you still using old lightbulbs
                            No, we have dim bulbs throughout

high usage items are

ovens and hobs Oven rarely used, hobs every other night
                            certain tvs it's big, but old-style
                            kettles and irons but they aren't on for very long
                            washing machines it's A rated, used twice a week on Econ 7
                            dishwashers used once a week, full
                            and the worst by along waybeing tumble dryers int got one
                            thanks again, very helpful
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

old style crt tv's use more energy than the new lcd tv. but if you don't watch much tv that shouldn't really affect your energy consumption that much.

Comment

I know you say that your central heating is gas but the pumps in those things use electricity and due to the extra cold weather the pump we have had the pumps have had to kick in at least twice as often as last winter. Our electric is showing more usage at the meter as well but it is mostly due to the central heating pump and ignition.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X