No announcement yet.

twice the electric?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is your supplier, do you pay DD, CHECK THIS SITE SEE IF YOU CAN GET IT CHEAPER

Free Virgin Wine Offer

Comment

I have already checked, thanks Paul.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Check the seal on fridge/freezer doors actually seals properly
        Have you checked the readings taken were correct

Comment

There is a known issue with some electricity meters where they are faulty. (Just like water meters. I think many older meters are prone to faults.) And surprise, surprise, usually in favour of the company that does not want to replace them. Try searching for info on that.
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

TS, Didn't you move house fairly recently?If so, is the new house the same size as the last one?

Comment

Does you washer not have a timer setting? If not can you put a timer on the plug so it comes on at the right time?

And can the suitcases go in the loft? On top of the wardrobe? garage?

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
                Do you have a 'modern' meter?
                No, old one

Is it possible your meter has stuck (or is sticking) on the daytime setting?
                No, it isn't sticking

...you need to compare units for day/night.
                I have been

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                Check the seal on fridge/freezer doors actually seals properly
                no faults there

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                Have you checked the readings taken were correct
                yes, they are my own readings, I check all of them.

Originally posted by Incy View Post
                TS, Didn't you move house fairly recently?
                I'm talking about the new house. All readings are for the new house

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                Does you washer not have a timer setting? If not can you put a timer on the plug so it comes on at the right time?
                No, and no. Tried it.

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                And can the suitcases go in the loft? On top of the wardrobe? garage?
                Garage and loft are damp, that's why the suitcases are indoors (they have summer clothes in currently)

Comment

To add insult to injury, I just had a power cut. When I tried flicking the trip switch, nothing happened (the switch moved on and off, but no power came on).

The engineer has just been, and said the trip switch is busted, it's not quite connecting properly. Unfortunately that isn't a problem for the energy company, but for the householder. (he did reconnect me this time though, bless him).

One thing after a bleeping other !

Comment

have you got an energy monitor? We've put one in and it's things that you don't realise that use up more electricity than you think. IT's a good way to test which ones use more electricity by turning them on and off and watching the monitor.

What's your total kWh usage per year? You can then check and see if you're in the low/normal/high range
                    Last edited by Bramble_killer; 13-02-2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                      have you got an energy monitor?
                      Yes, it's currently plugged into the chest freezer. It tells me kWh, but I don't know how to convert that into pounds and pence

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                      What's your total kWh usage per year?
                      No idea

Comment

Electricity Running Cost Calculator | Electricity Prices | Electricity Costs

Comment

If you don't keep your freezer full, TS, it eats up the lecky. Just stuffing small boxes or crumpled newspaper into it helps to reduce the amount you are using. Not saying that this is the primary reason for your bigger bills, and your freezer may be stuffed to the top, but it could help.
                          Last edited by annacruachan; 13-02-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annacruachan View Post
                            If you don't keep your freezer full, TS, it eats up the lecky.
                            Freezer is always full, thanks

Pies, brilliant link, just what I was looking for (but not finding). Thank you

I just found this one too (because your link got rubbished on Money Saving Expert - but doesn't everything?)
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-02-2010, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Yes, it's currently plugged into the chest freezer. It tells me kWh, but I don't know how to convert that into pounds and pence

No idea
                              You get the rate from your energy supplier who should show you the calculations on the bill (mine does, it's with Southern). They work out how much each kWh is.

Just a rough idea, I've just switched to npower and the unit rate (1 unit = 1 kWh) is 9.35p and we've got a daily standing charge of 8.61p

One thing I've found that can be quite useful is to actually ring the energy company (it worked with EDF, old supplier in previous place) and they went through the bills and the rates for each one with me.

Comment

If you are on a day/night tariff then, typically, you need to be using around 20% of your electricity during the 'off peak' hours to make it worthwhile. (You will pay more for daytime units on an 'Economy 7' type tariff.) If the figures that you have listed are actual day and night usage then you are borderline at 21-22%. Check carefully!!

I have logged my electricity and gas usage every week for around two years. (Yes - very sad!!) This enables me to compare consumption year on year and when I am looking at alternative suppliers I know that I have got accurate figures to work from. You should think about doing the same.
                                Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X