X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if it's a revolving door?
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
      This is fun.

Yes, but it alters the odds from 1/3:1/3:1/3 to 1/2:1/2

I agree before a door is shown to you, there is a 1 in 3 chance you have picked the right door. But I still maintain that when one has been eliminated, that elimination does not make your choice anything other than 1 in 2 of the 2 remaining doors. You're left with 2 doors and it's an equal chance the prize is behind either, therefore that must be 50:50.
      I think the best arguement is that:
      Stephen Fry said you should swap doors.
      And the 11th commandment is "Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry".
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
        What if it's a revolving door?
        Then I best watch it doesn't slap me on the ass as I leave
        Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
          Then I best watch it doesn't slap me on the ass as I leave
          Now what are the odds of that happening!?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

By the way, are we talking probability here, or possibility?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

There's a detailed explanation of this on Wikipedia
              Monty Hall problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              One point to be clear about - the host doesn't open a door at random.

So there was a 1/3 chance you picked right, in which case changing looses.
              There was a 2/3 chance you picked wrong - in which case the host always opens the other loosing door and the other unpicked door contains the prize, so changing always wins.
              Last edited by Sheepish; 23-01-2010, 12:36 AM.
              Today's mistake is tomorrow's compost...

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
                As in Numb3rs the cop show? I've never seen it, is it good?
                It's ok if there is nowt else on, and there usually isn't
                WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I can see the reasoning behind both explanations but tend to lean towards Caro's 50/50, although if it ever happens to me I'll make sure I swap doors just in case!
                  It's a bit like the National Lottery isn't it, you'd think if your numbers came up one week there'd be absolutely no chance of the same ones coming up again the next week (& they wouldn't!) but the odds are exactly the same aren't they because each draw is new & independent & the numbers all have the same probability each time?
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I think the only way to prove this is to run a practical experiment.
                    100 instances of sticking with the same door, 100 instances of switching doors.
                    I'd predict that sticking with the same door would return 33% success and switching would return 66% success, however if it returned 50% success then our theory would be proven wrong.
                    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

I'd go with whichever one I am fated to choose.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                        I think the only way to prove this is to run a practical experiment.
                        100 instances of sticking with the same door, 100 instances of switching doors.
                        I'd predict that sticking with the same door would return 33% success and switching would return 66% success, however if it returned 50% success then our theory would be proven wrong.
                        O.K., now who's got 3 doors, a prize, a patient friend to hide the prize ( & open the doors) & lots of time on their hands?
                        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Question is, which door would Shakey choose?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

All you are doing is changing the odds. That the host can eliminate one incorrect option does not affect this. All that happens is that the odds change with the circumstances. With two doors the chances are Even, which is better than they were, but they're still Even odds, so there's no answer.

To think that by the odds being reduced, the probability of the object being somewhere changes is nonsensical. Whilst the fall in odds might indicate to someone that doesn't know a door has been opened that the other door is the best option, the reality is that neither door has an advantage.

Simplest example is this: whenever I go to the dogs, if I'm up I always go 'Sh*t or Bust' on the last race. I also follow a time based system. I was at a small track and a friend and I were about £200 up. In the last race, the time-based system indicated that a rat of a dog would win. We went for it. Because of that (two drunk Londoners in the Midlands putting a few hundred an a hopeless dog at a penny-hapenny track), the odds fell from 6-1 to 2-1 joint favourite. Now, usually that symbolises a significant punt from someone in the know. Because it was a rainy Tuesday night at a track were most bets are a few pounds, it affected the book. In betting shops across the country, people reacted and in seconds the dog was an odds on favourite. Statistically, the fall from odds of 6-1 to 1-3 in less than a minute indicates that the dog's chances of winning are greatly increased. The reality, however, was that the dog was still clowns' shoes, and it came last.

Odds aside, the reality is that the object could equally be behind either door.
                            The Idiot Gardener
                            Five acres of idiocy: an idiot's journey to the heart of smallholding darkness!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              Question is, which door would Shakey choose?
                              yeah thanks for that! any guesses what I'm singing now?
                              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                              Bob Dylan

Comment

After the great mathematical minds of our time have worked on this problem and have universally agreed that switching doors is the best solution, i'm inclined to agree with them.
                                That said, it goes against one of my lifetime philosophies:
                                "It makes no sense to agree with the majority, by definition there are already enough people doing that"!
                                Last edited by OllieMartin; 22-01-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X