Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you put your central heating on yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our heating went on in the first week of October. Hate the feeling of a cold house.
    Years ago we knocked our sitting and dining room into one very big room and while it is lovely space wise it can be hard to heat, so we make sure the heating goes on early to make it feel cosy.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
      I don't mind the house being cold, but I can't abide getting into a cold bed. Call me pusillanimous (twice in one day!), but it went on the first time getting into bed wasn't a nice way to end the day (about 2 weeks ago)
      Fair point, well made (as my mate Paul always says!). I have had my electric blanket on for a couple of weeks now - can't bear to be cold in bed. I have that many layers on when I do go to bed, OH says its like peeling an onion!!!
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

My heating went on last night and its been on tonight, I've even got my jim jams out...roll on the summer.

Comment

We never actively turn ours off, it's on a thermostat and when the temp gets below about 17deg first thing and in the evening (or frost protection at other times of day) then it comes on. OH sometimes flicks it on during the day at the weekend but if you're doing stuff then it never seems to need it to me even in deep winter.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            Ours is also on a thermostat and was only off in 'high summer'. Can't see the point in being cold and then paying to heat a very cold house when you can keep an even temperature more efficiently. Oh and we've an open fire going too, cos it's loverley!
            That's a common myth. Keeping a steady temperature isn't more efficient. Although if you have very good insulation, it may not work out much more.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
              I don't mind the house being cold, but I can't abide getting into a cold bed. Call me pusillanimous (twice in one day!), but it went on the first time getting into bed wasn't a nice way to end the day (about 2 weeks ago)
              I know what you mean, but heating the whole house to warm your bed seems a bit OTT.

Electric blankets are very cheap to run. Alternatively you could put a Duvet or fleece blankets under your sheet. It's the bed that's cold.

And breathe under the covers for a minute or so of course.

Comment

Originally posted by BFG View Post
                I know what you mean, but heating the whole house to warm your bed seems a bit OTT.

Electric blankets are very cheap to run. Alternatively you could put a Duvet or fleece blankets under your sheet. It's the bed that's cold.

And breathe under the covers for a minute or so of course.
                Did I mention I have two duvets on the bed as well as my "security" 1960s duck down quilt? Now you know what my OH means when he talks about peeling onions!
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Mine's not on yet. I try to leave it until December, but I don't really feel the cold too badly. 10ish is about my comfort limit.

I do use a dehumidifier though if necessary, so it's not damp.

I do put the heating on, or light a fire if I've got visitors. Although I forget sometimes how varied peoples "normal" temperatures are. I'm thinking 18-20 is lovely and snug before realising that's cold for some people.

Comment

Ours is like Sarz, never actually switched off but the thermostat is turned right down in summer.
                    We turned it back to 17 in the day a couple of weeks ago and usually turn it down at night.

Comment

Ours is on, and has been for a couple of weeks. We have each room and floors on separate controls, so we can leave the rooms we don't use so much and concentrate the warmth where we really want it.
                      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Our heating has been on intermittently for the past few weeks. We've had the electric blanket on to heat the bed as we sleep with the bedroom window open (all year round), so have a toastie bed and cold bedroom - bliss

Comment

Mine is set to ON all the time between 6am-11pm, but I have the thermostat set so that only when the house temperature drops below 15 degrees do the radiators come on automatically.
                          When we feel cold in the evenings we whack it up to 18degrees, and I have to try to remember to turn it back down again when I go to bed.
                          If anyone is ill, we turn it up a bit for them.
                          Other than that we leave it to its own devices; it works well.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I've had mine on for 2hrs about a week ago, and two hours two nights ago, as me and OH were staying in. Normally we just sit under the duvet. Bed isn't a problem. If it's freezing up there, I just catnap the kitty and he curls up next to me. I go to sleep like that and he leaves when it's too warm for him. Everyone's a winner! I also have two duvets on the bed, which is nice until the morning, when I can't get out!

Comment

We try to never turn ours on (well, Jim is Scottish!) Rayburn in the kitchen, log burner in the living room, freezing bedroom but warm bed, and a bathroom you don't want to linger too long in and that does us and, more importantly, the dogs!

Comment

Daughter had a friend for a sleepover last weekend and she was cold so the heating went on but only for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. OH last night turned it off as he was hot but I was freezing, so it stayed off.
                                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X