Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you put your central heating on yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ours has been on but only becuase we dont have gas in our house so its those storage heaters that heatup during the night and Im terrible at predicting whether its gonna be cold or not. Otherwise we stick to the fire
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
      if I could only afford to heat one room I would live in one room, I would never live in the cold and the damp. That would be just miserable.
      Of course, some people don't have the choice. Before I met Mr Sheds, I lived in a one-bed flat, without heating (I couldn't afford to turn it on).

Now that I can afford heating, I still don't feel I can abuse it
      I only turn it on if I'm really frozen.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by BFG View Post
        heating the whole house to warm your bed seems a bit OTT.
        Hot water bottles?

Comment

Originally posted by BFG
          That's a common myth. Keeping a steady temperature isn't more efficient. Although if you have very good insulation, it may not work out much more.
          Prove it - its a myth its not more efficient surely? Concrete block houses are quite toasty, esp with the CH on! But we moved in there was none only a parkray in the kitchen & an open fire, house was still very warm.

I'm not doing cold for anyone, I'm with Alice I'd get a smaller house if we couldn't keep this one warm...
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Been having the heating on for an hour or so in the evening for about two weeks now( can afford it now I get the £200 winter fuel allowance)
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
              Been having the heating on for an hour or so in the evening for about two weeks now( can afford it now I get the £200 winter fuel allowance)
              How old do you have to be to get that, Bubblewrap? I will be sixty next March, will I qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                How old do you have to be to get that, Bubblewrap? I will be sixty next March, will I qualify?
                Got mine because I'm on pension credits.
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

No heating on here yet but I don't think it will be long. I have just today got out my winter slippers (they are slippers that look like ugg boots). We used to live in a very cold old house so we feel quite pampered here in this modern double-glazed place. We still make sure we have a couple of layers on before its allowed though.
                  I just like to scrimp.... Now that I can do it out of choice its a challenge.... if we really couldn't afford to put the heating on - well that would be depressing.
                  The goal is to get to November. But bedtimes are hardest, especially as I keep forgetting to close the windows.
                  Last edited by Marthaclematis; 25-10-2009, 09:57 PM.

Comment

We haven't put the heating on here. It's a 70 built townhouse with no insulation and the landlord is not interested in getting any in soon so it costs a fortune to heat.

We have had the fire going a few times when it has been really cold.

The central heating will probably go on in November, luckily it has been quite mild lately.

Comment

Our CH has gone off again (no HW either) cause we're getting a new boiler fitted this week.

I am so cold already: the plumber's have had the front door open all day, in and out

Comment

Other than one evening last week...Daisy got her school coat soaked & muddy & I needed to dry it...ours won't be going on until at least November....and actually,if it stays as mild as it is now I might try to put it off a little longer!
                        Although I don't enjoy being cold,I hate the way a centrally heated house makes me feel...really lethargic & headachey.I use it just to take the chill off a room & the rest of the time use extra layers & fleecey blankets.
                        As for the bed...we finally managed to get Daisy & Ash sleeping in their own beds,however they've recently had a turn around on the idea....they make the most perfect bed warmers & don't even seem to mind me resting my cold toes on them so I may put off encouraging them back into theirs until Spring!
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Our CH has gone off again (no HW either)
                          Was I supposed to be there?

Ours is never switched off - it's on timer/thermostat control so there's no need. All radiators are also on thermostat valves so can be adjusted further.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm

Ours has just kicked in.

Today - I need it

Starting Spag Bol for tea any minute now. YUMMY!!!!!

Pumpkin pie for afters.....Piglet Willie - you are right - the Sugar Pie Pumpkin is IDEAL for pumpkin pie.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              Was I supposed to be there?

Ours is never switched off - it's on timer/thermostat control so there's no need. All radiators are also on thermostat valves so can be adjusted further.
                              I think TS may be referring to hot water wayne

Comment

Ours has been on then off ,

Zaz - I made pumpkin pie yesterday got it again tonight used winter festivals
                                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X