No announcement yet.

not being a nagging wife

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put down some other tiles in a rectangle/square pattern with some sort of border so it looks like they're supposed to be different.

Comment

I'd go for wait for same tiles and get tiler back later.

Though I'd be tempted to go for similar black and have them laid so they spell out 'foolish man' under certain lighting conditions!

Comment

I don't suppose you've still got a note of the measurements that he took in the first place? It is possible that he got them right, and the shop got the order wrong... They did used to do it, and then try and blame me (distributor sales office), the customer, the tiler, the house-builder for not making the bathroom size the same as the last house...

The tiler should be able to work out how many tiles you need from the measurements if you still have em, and then from his own measurements to double check, or I could if you like? The general rule is to always order 10% more for breakages and spares as well. Point is that if the shop has cocked up, then they will need to reeeally put themselves out to find your extra tiles (pull their display to bits in the shop for a start) and, it might not be MrSheds fault?
        Last edited by SarzWix; 01-08-2009, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          I don't suppose you've still got a note of the measurements that he took in the first place? It is possible that he got them right, and the shop got the order wrong... They did used to do it, and then try and blame me (distributor sales office), the customer, the tiler, the house-builder for not making the bathroom size the same as the last house...

The tiler should be able to work out how many tiles you need from the measurements if you still have em, and then from his own measurements to double check, or I could if you like? The general rule is to always order 10% more for breakages and spares as well. Point is that if the shop has cocked up, then they will need to reeeally put themselves out to find your extra tiles (pull their display to bits in the shop for a start) and, it might not be MrSheds fault?
          5 boxes short is quite an error, I wonder if OH and shop were thinking in different scales, one perhaps feet and inches and the other this new fangled metric system.

Comment

Well, at least here Mr TS and His Lordship are not the same person, HL does our tiling And then he makes sure I remember it for the rest of my life when I moan about him not cleaning said tiles........
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by TEB View Post
              5 boxes short is quite an error, I wonder if OH and shop were thinking in different scales, one perhaps feet and inches and the other this new fangled metric system.
              It's a possibilty, 5m is a lot to get wrong but it's possible that a lot of them will be cuts, so it probably isn't a whole 5m out. If that is the mistake that's been made, then it's definitely the shop's fault

Comment

This is the second Spinal Tap moment this week.

I hope you get it sorted Two_sheds, it sounds like the problem is finding more of the same or making other tiles look like it was all part of the plan in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post
                  Maybe the tile shop (if it's a chain) could see if there are any at the stores outside of East Anglia and get them sent over for you.
                  They could, but they'd take a week, and they still can't guarantee that they'll be the same batch, just the same design (there are 3 different batches, all with slightly differing marbling on them)

I don't suppose you've still got a note of the measurements that he took in the first place?...The general rule is to always order 10% more for breakages
                  No ... I looked everywhere I will ask him if he remembers what the room measured, before he realises the error and starts backtracking
                  We did have 10% extra, but were still 50 tiles short.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Now, can anyone help on my next problem? The tin of "ochre" paint has come out Hi Viz Orange ... it's quite nice, quite zingy, but might burn my eyeballs after a while
                    I seem to remember that orange and lime green were all the rage in the very early 70s, so they must be due for a return to fashion by now.
                    I would think that at long as you don't use a very contrasting colour in the same room you will probably get used to it quite quickly.

Good luck with the tiles!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I talked to the man in the shop. He sounded very adamant that he hadn't made an error
                      In my experience, whatever the product, the man or woman in the shop is always absolutely sure they didn't make a mistake.
                      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

ooh! nasty!!, always keep a record of what details/information you give to shops, tradesmen and contractors, the beggars will always try to say it was your fault! as they are proffesionals!!, as for the Hi Viz paint!, I was under instruction from OH to paint the bathroom in our first house, not remembering the exact colour I popped into the office where beloved was working, brandishing m' colour chart!, the colour was chosen....... "?" , so off to the paint shop, the "Kerry Green"!! was purchased, taken home and applied, OH returns from office and "Totaly Freaks"!!, "Get it off".... "sorry love?, m' kit or the paint?"... "the paint it hurts my eyes"!, " you chose it dear, and I've been seeing yellow!! this stuff is so green!!, as for getting it off! its mid summer and this stuff is dry!!!!!!", the bathroom was eventualy, after a few coats of white!, painted a nice safe "mushroom" colour, complimenting the rather nice mahongany matchboard panelling installed around the lower walls and bath panel, sort of Victorian'y, y'know mahogany edged bath(yellow originally, dropped hammer oops!, replaced with white!, courtesy of house insurance) with soap dishes built in ( have you ever tried to scoop out soapdishes from mahogany!!!), (had a find!!, a whole heap of matchboarding covered in bird poo, took me several weeks to clean, install and varnish), result was stunning m'dears, always go with your own judgement, you just have to!, as "Father" said let them think it was their idea!, oh! you can get away with soooooooooooooo! much!
                        Last edited by ohbeary; 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM. Reason: more little thoughts!
                        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
                          ooh! nasty!!, always keep a record of what details/information you give to shops, tradesmen and contractors, the beggars will always try to say it was your fault! as they are proffesionals!!
                          I suspect that it often is 'our' fault (although not always!) - you don't stay in business for very long as a proffessional making basic size/quantity/measuring errors.

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
                          .... to paint the bathroom in our first house, not remembering the exact colour I popped into the office where beloved was working, brandishing m' colour chart!, the colour was chosen....
                          see what I mean!
                          Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 02-08-2009, 01:17 AM.

Comment

If this bloke in the shop was any good at all, he'd have been onto the distributor finding out who else in the country stocks them, tracked your tiles down and had them sent overnight carrier. He'd have apologised for having to charge you the shipping cost, but sure you'd understand that that would cost him his profit. You'd have probably agreed, got your tiles monday morning, job's a good 'un...
                            Last edited by SarzWix; 02-08-2009, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Oh, more dimellas.
                              The cream paint I got to go with the Hi Viz Orange (2 walls of each) looked like tippex once I put it on.
                              Off to the shop again ... and the Pale Primrose looked awfully like lemon in the shop, not like the paint chart at all.
                              So I got "warm" Something Or Other. Next mistake: I bought own-brand Wilko paint not Dulux. OMG ! I actually ended up in tears of frustration. It managed to be really thin and really quick drying, so I was painting on blobs because it was drying so fast in the tray

... and as for getting a straight line between the orange wall and the cream wall ... oh Bob, you feel my pain! I don't use masking tape as it tends to take off the paint... so I ended up sticking 2,000 Post Its up and down the wall and along the skirting.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end...

Comment

If this bloke in the shop was any good at all, he'd have been onto the distributor finding out who else in the country stocks them, tracked your tiles down and had them sent overnight carrier.
                                We aren't talking 'proper' tile shop here, we're using the chain store one. The bloke was as helpful as he could be, but it was basically "this is what we got, take it or leave it".

Me and the tiler sorted through 7 boxes of Very Similar tiles, picking out individually the ones that best went together.
                                My new best friend (the Nice Tiler) then realised why they were different batch numbers ... they were slightly different sizes (millimetres different) so he had to do a lot of cutting and grinding y'day.
                                He's done a stunning job, I wouldn't have been up to it. He's worked 2 solid days 8-4, no lunch break, lots of patience and good humour. I don't resent paying him a penny of Mr Shed's money. Top bloke.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X