Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you get hassle for eating healthy veg?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get their thinking. I'm overweight, eat loads of fruit and veg and grow virtually all of it myself, I rarely eat sweets or have dessert. BUT I do love to cook and use butter and/or cream with just about everything and take sugar in tea and coffee and that, I'm afraid, is where the weight comes from. Would I find someone talking about veg offensive? Of course not. As I've mentioned before, my best mate is vegan what I don't think I've said is that she's at least two stones heavier than me and she lives on nothing but veg. She does eat vast quantities of bread and crisps though, the bread spread with a 'healthy' marg. It might be healthy, but it has the same high calories as any other form of fat. Weight has little to do with the amount of veg you eat, though I suppose someone who ate very little veg might lose weight if they replaced some of their more stodgy foodstuffs with veg and filled up that way.

As for recycling, a neighbour once called me an 'eco-fascist' because I offered to compost their lawn-mowings????????
    Last edited by bluemoon; 11-07-2009, 04:04 PM.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
      I don't get their thinking. I'm overweight, eat loads of fruit and veg and grow virtually all of it myself, I rarely eat sweets or have dessert. BUT I do love to cook and use butter and/or cream with just about everything and take sugar in tea and coffee and that, I'm afraid, is where the weight comes from. Would I find someone talking about veg offensive? Of course not. As I've mentioned before, my best mate is vegan what I don't think I've said is that she's at least two stones heavier than me and she lives on nothing but veg. She does eat vast quantities of bread and crisps though, the bread spread with a 'healthy' marg. It might be healthy, but it has the same high calories as any other form of fat. Weight has little to do with the amount of veg you eat, though I suppose someone who ate very little veg might lose weight if they replaced some of their more stodgy foodstuffs with veg and filled up that way.
      I doubt 'thinking' has much to do with it.
      I am overweight, very much so, but that is my problem, not anyone else's (apart from OH who keeps trying to get me to eat as much as he does, whatever I say!!!!!)
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleB View Post

We were alarmed when we popped into Aldi for some 49p fruit and veg. A young mum in front of us at the checkout had a trolley full of boxed and tinned food, frozen pizzas etc and tins of savaloy sausages but we could not see any fresh ingredients. We only noticed because her trolley was piled high but hopefully her shopping in other shops may have compensated. We read a local article saying that there is an obesity crisis and many of the younger generation do not cook much if at all and rely on takeaway food.

Each to their own.
        I was once behind a woman with a similarly laden trolley, all fizzy drinks, crisps and cakes. 'Ooh, are you having a party?' I said trying to get a smile out of one of the kids who was giving me that disconcerting blank kiddie stare. 'Nah, it's just me shopping' the woman said, obviously confused.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
          ...bread spread with a 'healthy' marg. It might be healthy, but it has the same high calories as any other form of fat ...
          I read somewhere that most so-called 'healthy' or 'low calorie' and 'low fat' food products are full of hidden sugars. Most of these are just a nasty bunch of chemicals that prevent the body from actually absorbing the good stuff.

As soon as I read it I went straight back to Butter and proper milk, and poured all the diet drinks down the sink. Apart from the diet C*ke, which is great for getting the bugs off your windscreen!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            I read somewhere that most so-called 'healthy' or 'low calorie' and 'low fat' food products are full of hidden sugars. Most of these are just a nasty bunch of chemicals that prevent the body from actually absorbing the good stuff.

As soon as I read it I went straight back to Butter and proper milk, and poured all the diet drinks down the sink. Apart from the diet C*ke, which is great for getting the bugs off your windscreen!
            I agree. Lots of the WW cakes have a lower fat content but higher sugar content compared to 'ordinary' cake brands.

But a 'little' of what we fancy and 'variety' is the spice of life.
            BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
            Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X