Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you get hassle for eating healthy veg?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    I think it would have been more insensitive to go on and on about cream cakes and chips, tbh.

btw, I was in the chippy today, and every other customer was .. well, extremely obese. There's no polite way to put it. Bellies hanging down over their knees
    Maybe its the norm now !!! maybe we are a minority group lol
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

hahaha - its so silly.

I do hope you can laugh at it - I bet if they could hear themselves saying that they would laugh too.

Perhaps, should the occasion arrise and you wish to discuss the contraversial subject of vegetables again you could add a disclaimer so as not to offend eg:- "Im growing carrots as I really love them, though there are many other equally valid food groups to choose from etc "

heheheh.

Comment

I would bin 'em, find new mates!

Comment

Perhaps the blokes had said to their partners how good you were looking, perhaps they have the hots for you

Comment

Too many people judge others by their appearance, rather than their personality. I think they're only jealous of you being a skinny wotsit LOL! As am I, but at least I can admit it!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

With friends like that, who needs enemies?
              If they are that 'sensitive' (read 'self-centred', thinking everything is about them) haven't you got any REAL friends? (OK that is a bit OTT, but so was their reaction to you).
              there is one unanswerable argument about recycling. What is not recycled goes to landfill. Sooner or later all the suitable land will be full.........
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                Too many people judge others by their appearance, rather than their personality.
                Too true!

And sadly that goes for people being judged for being fat or skinny!
                http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I'm still bemused; I suspect their interpretation is that you are talking about veg because they are fat when you actually talk about veg because you like it.

Fascinating insight into other people's perceptions.....

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    I'm still bemused; I suspect their interpretation is that you are talking about veg because they are fat when you actually talk about veg because you like it.

Fascinating insight into other people's perceptions.....
                    Yep. Seems their problem was our healthy food choices and our healthy lifestyle of veg growing etc. The result being that we look well and slimmer. Maybe they were a little 'green' with some envy. But they 'saw' how it was achieved but were not prepared to put the changes into their own lifestyle to have the same result. On reflection of some of the comments made when I chose a lighter option foods as if I was 'sad' or 'obsessive' not to want to eat piles of chips or battered scnitzel and preferring a ceasar salad. If it was reversed and we had commented on their choices we would have been guilty of gross rudeness but somehow it was ok for comments to be made against healthy food.
                    I have heard of people being 'fat ist' but never of being anti healthy ist.
                    I really am not a skinny at all, just pleased to be a stone lighter for my health and OH eating healthy too. We do indulge in treats and desserts etc but to our taste and constitution - I could not digest huge meals even before I lost the weight. I have envied slimmer persons before when they have looked good and I have felt fat. But if ever it bothered me that much I would do something about it rather than have a pop at the person concerned.

My OH has just said - Its the only thing we have control of and can change. We cant change our height or many other things about us.

I will indeed wear a fat suit the next time we visit!
                    BumbleB

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleB View Post
                      Seems their problem was our healthy food choices and our healthy lifestyle of veg growing etc. The result being that we look well and slimmer. ...they 'saw' how it was achieved but were not prepared to put the changes into their own lifestyle
                      Hmmm. Some people will try and sabotage your efforts rather than put in the required effort themselves.

I don't eat cakes, pastries and biscuits. Yet when I go round MiL and FiLs, they are pressed on me, persistently. "no thank you, I'm not hungry" is met with bemused looks, so last time I said "I don't eat doughnuts".

I was looked up and down like I'd said something really, really offensive.

I didn't say 'I don't eat doughnuts because they make you fat'

I get the same kind of flak for riding my bike. It's an endless refrain of "why don't you get a little moped/car?"
                      Because I like the freedom of my bike, I like the wind in my hair and to see/hear the birds, and other people, and because it keeps me slim & healthy. I feel I'm not allowed to say the bit in bold type though, because I get "looks".

Sometimes I feel as if because they can't/won't lose weight, they feel the need to make me put on weight
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you DO want to get the friendliness back...then what about texting or emailing them back with something along the lines of....

'Yeah, perhaps we are a little obsessed with Veg - we love our garden/lottie and can go on and on about it a bit - we didn't mean to upset anyone but it really has changed our lives, but we will try not to 'talk veg' next time'...

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          If you DO want to get the friendliness back...then what about texting or emailing them back with something along the lines of....

'Yeah, perhaps we are a little obsessed with Veg - we love our garden/lottie and can go on and on about it a bit - we didn't mean to upset anyone but it really has changed our lives, but we will try not to 'talk veg' next time'...
                          Nice one, how about adding that you've made these changes for the sake of your health, that your constitution can't deal with the unhealthy choices - perhaps they'll feel guilty then, instead of trying to make you feel bad.
                          Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                          So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I think TS has hit the nail on the head exactly. Which brings me back to the original 'Are vegetables a swear word'

Great suggestions from Zazen and Comfreyfan, will try these if we ever get a chance to explain our thoughts. Madness when we need to defend being healthy!

I am just amazed that healthy eating choices and 5 a day is not regarded as the norm. No wonder there is government health drive schemes and the NHS are so stretched. I really thought that our lifestyle was normal (well it is on this forum) but obviously their is a large per cent population who do not follow the healthy guidelines.

We were alarmed when we popped into Aldi for some 49p fruit and veg. A young mum in front of us at the checkout had a trolley full of boxed and tinned food, frozen pizzas etc and tins of savaloy sausages but we could not see any fresh ingredients. We only noticed because her trolley was piled high but hopefully her shopping in other shops may have compensated. We read a local article saying that there is an obesity crisis and many of the younger generation do not cook much if at all and rely on takeaway food.

Each to their own.
                            BumbleB

Comment

There's nowt as strange as folk! I too am amazed at the amount of my neighbours that throw away recyclables into their normal bin and they laugh at me putting cardboard into the composter! But these same neighbours told me the other day that they don't believe in global warming!

Comment

sounds like a case of 'green' combined with 'prodded consciences'. If your friends are overweight then you don't have the pressure of being compared. As soon as one starts being successful at losing weight the group dynamics change!

I am a fatty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X