Fuming!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
    All this said, I have to agree with Piskie. While this is an annoying situation for Wayne, I'm sure it's an unusual case. The British Police are respected as being one of, if not THE, best police force in the world.
    You've only got to watch one episode of Police Camera Action to see the difference in the by-the-book method of our PCs compared with the gung-ho attitude of some US officers.

I'd like to think that a complaint to the relevant constabulary wouldn't be ignored either.
    There is also the point that neighbour disputes are actually only the business of the police if there is a crime committed. In a lot of instances they 'aren't interested' because it isn't their business!
    I agree they can sometimes 'brush off' legitimate issues, and that is not good enough (eg Two Sheds, cycling accident), but at least half the complaints I read about police 'not doing anything' there was nothing they COULD do in that instance!
    If you meet a copper who really is going the wrong way about things, report that incident to his superiors (and perhaps your MP). otherwise, try to consider that maybe they have done all they really can.
    The cops with the camera at night may well have been using ANPR, which is not a 'speed camera', but vehicle identification device. They catch a fair few 'real criminals' that way!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
      Hi
      Is it because
      a) there is no legislation to deal with these minor but hugely important local issues
      b) they're not exciting to deal with so get put to the bottom of the pile
      c) the police have decided to not bother with minor crimes
      d) the police are seriously understaffed
      e) the current set up of targets set by government means there's no "win" in tackling difficult to deal with crimes like harrassment, disputes and burglaries.
      I think it's all of the above Sue

After having our garden vandalised in the middle of the night last year (trees sawn down etc), the police were powerless to do anything and just didn't have the time.

There is only 1 full-time officer at our local police station. All other actual officers are drawn from neighbouring towns on a rota system. There are more PSCO's on the street than actual police officers.

This means that the chances of actually speaking to the 'real' police are slim; and the chances of seeing the same officer about a case are even slimmer.

Comment

Wayne, I think the officer involved was wrong to divulge that he had received another complaint (he could have said 'we happened to be driving past and noticed...'), however, if the campervan is only obtructing your access, then the neighbour probably would have put two and two together anyway.

I would certainly write a complaint to the chief officer at that particular station, this situation could escalate very quickly and this particular officer has exacerbated it with his comments to the other party...I don't suppose its possible the officer knows your neighbour personally is it? But that would be highly unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
          Hi
          Is it because
          a) there is no legislation to deal with these minor but hugely important local issues
          b) they're not exciting to deal with so get put to the bottom of the pile
          c) the police have decided to not bother with minor crimes
          d) the police are seriously understaffed
          e) the current set up of targets set by government means there's no "win" in tackling difficult to deal with crimes like harrassment, disputes and burglaries.

And surely if we are to have a safe and sane society these petty matters (which are not petty at all to those who suffer from them) should be dealt with firmly.

Sue
          a) (which may well apply pretty often) means that it really is not a police matter!
          b) is not acceptable, but IMO almost never applies alone (it may be a 'second reason' along with one of the others)
          c) is a matter for senior officers, who have largely taken this approach (again, not acceptable, but almost inevitable in the light of d and e) then there is
          f) so much paperwork involved in every incident dealt with that the problems of d are doubled and redoubled!

Give the ordinary cops (most of them) a break, and place the blame where it belongs, GOVERNMENT!
          Of course the government created issues mean that the best cops are taking early retirement, and potential 'good cops' are declining to join in the first place, because they do not believe they will be allowed to do the job properly......
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Ok, on reflection I may have over reacted by saying "police" instead of "a certain policeman", but allow me to explain myself.

I grew up in an area that was - shall we say, not exactly sympathetic towards police in general, but my parents raised me to have respect for the law despite the fact that my parents (and me) were subject to criminal behaviour on more than one occasion and we were let down by the police (use "system" if you will) every single time, I have mainained this respect and shall continue to install the same belief in Hayden as he grows up.

However, I am not a fan of having my trust misused or being lied to.

I quote (names omitted to protect the "innocent":

Dear Mr. *******,

All points noted, and firstly details of your Email will not be disclosed to any other residents as the basis for any approach to a problem.

Parking issues for us are so often the unsolvable problem from police attention alone. The only time a long term parking issue in a location seems to change is when something like a traffic restriction order goes in (Yellow lines or parking permit schemes) but that's something the parish council would have to look into.

The recording of the parking issue in *location omitted* is down to reflect what has generated complaints or a high number of concerns for the area, but the truth is that the most the neighbourhood team can do is make a chack when we are that way and address any serious obstruction.

We also have the added confusion with people who may believe there is a serious obstruction or an illegal act, but we find is it more inconvenient parking that we cannot penalise for.

I assure you these are not excuses to say we can do nothing but clearly you have highlighted one issue with one location so perhaps it best if we have a look at this one issue and make an assessment on what we can do.

I gather that this vehicle will be fairly easy to spot in *location omitted*, so when one of us is free to pop down there we will take a look. If we need to speak to people we may have to mention that we have received a complaint, particularly if the path is blocked, but as said, we will not disclose any details.

By all means keep us updated with any changes or other such issues.

Regards

Pc *** *****

Given the fact that my neighbour quoted things that I had said in this email to the PC in question only illustrates that details were indeed disclosed, and an issue has been made of something that could have been dealt with entirely differently.

On that note, yes I have approached my neighbour directly regarding the issue, but nothing came of it (over a year ago).

Since then a number of complaints (not by me) have been received by the Police on the same issue (not just this dude), in the same area - which in turn generated action by the Police to issue letters to all residents in the area requesting that we report any cases of inconsiderate or dangerous parking.

Given the fact that pedestrians are completely unable to use the footpath and are forced to use the road - I, and a number of other neighbours did what we were asked to do and reported those cars that were causing obstructions.

A good friend of mine is a Policeman and I know exactly what they have to deal with on a daily basis, and as said maybe my wording was wrong, but I hope you can understand my frustrations.

This Policeman friend of mine did however say that it's a common known theory amongst the Police community that those who apply to work in the force in village locations are looking for the easy life and don't like to do much in the way of "active policing". His words, not mine.

I have requested that the issue is closed by the Police, and that I will deal with it myself. Pains me to say it, but I've lost faith in our local constabulary and shan't contact them about the matter again for fear of more apathy and inaction. Needless to say, I shall remain a good boy and stay within the law.

Case closed as they say.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

*tells hired car thief to stand down
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                *tells hired car thief to stand down
                As you were!
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

My sympathies Wayne

How about asking the local paper to do a piece on 'illegal' parking in your area- so that other people can step forward and point out any problems they have- (such as parking on pavements...)

I used to park half on the road, half on the pavement thinking it would make life easier for passing cars- not really thinking about cyclists nor peeps with buggies/prams squeezing round ( shame on me)...sorry folks!

..I learned the hard way by parking outside a friends house in the same manner and heard a small scraping under my car- went out to have a look and all seemed OK until I went for my MOT when they asked when had I scraped the underside of my car....cos it had twisted my subframe ...it cost me over £700 to repair!!

Needless to say, I just won't do it anymore.( and quite right too)
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just thought about including parking on double yellows too...back in the UK- there are loads of ridiculously wealthy peeps driving expensive cars and they just stop outside the shop they want to go into, yellow lines or not...the fine is well worth the convenience to them

Comment

Sorry to hear about that problem, Wayne -it's so frustrating that you went about it the correct way and your enquiry was not kept in confidence - it would seem it could have been sorted easily enough by the police, if they'd gone about it the right way.
                      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        They are really busy, sitting on roundabouts watching for drivers who may potentially cause an accident, rather than dealing with those that have caused an accident.
                        Funny you should say this. There's a noticeable increase in this dangerous behaviour in my area. On the Dorking Deepdene roundabout I've seen a police car on three different occasions, parked between exits, so obstructing the view when you're trying to see if it's clear - yesterday was one such time and I had to pull ONTO the roundabout to see if it was clear, as did everyone else. Utter numpties. Won't go into all the things which have eroded my confidence in them over the years (they do include emergency situations and personal safety being very much at risk), but let's just say the words 'chocolate' and 'fireguard' come to mind.

I think it's very much a postcode lottery, like health. In the SE, I've had nothing but negative experiences. Back home, in Bolton, I remember them being a bit more active, but I left there 14 years ago.

Hope you get it sorted out, Wayne. Funny you should say that about your friend and village policing. I live in a rural area and have noticed the appalling lack of action here more than anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          I used to park half on the road, half on the pavement ... not really thinking about peeps with buggies/prams ...I just won't do it anymore
                          you deserve a

People who block our pavements get a

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

why thank you 2sheds!!!

Comment

saw this on FB, m8, its disgusting, ya know there is always the nails on the road issue, nudge nudge wink wink!
                              Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I know someone who scratched a car parked on the pavement as she squeezed past with the buggy, drivers fault for parking on the pavement, that driver didnt do it again.
                                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X