No announcement yet.

Swine flu

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out this link, brought to you by the same media people who introduced it......

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Swine flu: mapping the outbreak

Don't add up in my books? How many people live in these countries, Mexico in particular? % of deaths from swine flu, WHO confirmed this, don't add up to a Level 4, threatening Level 6 pandemic in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
      Hi Capsid, I understand the Tamiflu etc, 'will treat all flu strains' except this one? but what I don't understand is that if they have 'confirmed' cases of 'swine flu' then they can make vaccine, can't they? Yes, it will take time to make, but why does it have to go to level 6 as previously mentioned by another poster before doing anything?
      Yes the vaccine can be made now and preparations are underway to do that. What do you expect to be happening now at level 4? There are a limited number of cases which respond to treatment.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Check out this link, brought to you by the same media people who introduced it......

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Swine flu: mapping the outbreak

Don't add up in my books? How many people live in these countries, Mexico in particular? % of deaths from swine flu, WHO confirmed this, don't add up to a Level 4, threatening Level 6 pandemic in my books.
        Threatening but not actually happening.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Hi Capsid, I understand the Tamiflu etc, 'will treat all flu strains' except this one? but what I don't understand is that if they have 'confirmed' cases of 'swine flu' then they can make vaccine, can't they? Yes, it will take time to make, but why does it have to go to level 6 as previously mentioned by another poster before doing anything?
          Because it may mutate once it has been in a few people. They want the AV to be as specific as posable.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

The big pandemic problems are:
            1. The Phasing. the Pandemic could last 2 years and there may be three outbreaks of infection. I could get it in the first phase and get AV. Then I get it again in Phase two...no the AV will not be as effective the second time and my immune system will be dammaged....I survive but get it again in Phase three and pop my cloggs.

They are worried because unlike normal winter flu, it will be the 18-40 age group that will get it and not the young and old.
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
              Because it may mutate once it has been in a few people. They want the AV to be as specific as posable.
              Influenza doesn't mutate. It reassorts by a mixing of several viruses, in the present case it is a mixture of human, pig and avian viruses. The antivirals are working and people are responding.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                Threatening but not actually happening.
                My point threatening, not happening, 'IF' is a big word. The whole media hype is wrong. If they were that worried about a 'global pandemic' they would stop travel wouldn't they? WHO actually admits that ain't going to do it, so that's how 'threatened turning to reality' that they feel about this, after all it's human life at risk according to the media?

Comment

1. The Phasing. the Pandemic could last 2 years and there may be three outbreaks of infection. I could get it in the first phase and get AV. Then I get it again in Phase two...no the AV will not be as effective the second time and my immune system will be dammaged....I survive but get it again in Phase three and pop my cloggs.

They are worried because unlike normal winter flu, it will be the 18-40 age group that will get it and not the young and old.
                  If you survive then you will be immune and unlikely to get re-infected. Influenza won't damage your immune system. Unfortunately, a good immune response in the young adults is possibly your downfall. The chemical mediators of the immune system are produced in excess and these lead to irreversible damage to the lungs.

Cytokine storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Last edited by Capsid; 28-04-2009, 08:43 PM.
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

My point threatening, not happening, 'IF' is a big word. The whole media hype is wrong. If they were that worried about a 'global pandemic' they would stop travel wouldn't they? WHO actually admits that ain't going to do it, so that's how 'threatened turning to reality' that they feel about this, after all it's human life at risk according to the media?
                    Yes the media are hyping for all its worth.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

How can a virus like this discriminate between what age you are? Sorry, don't buy that one lol!

Comment

How can a virus like this discriminate between what age you are? Sorry, don't buy that one lol!
                        See my link on cytokine storm.

Cytokine storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Well if it does become a Pandemic it will spread a lot faster than the Spanish Flu one in 1918 because of the way we are able to jet about from country to country.

That one killed up to 100 million people!

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                            Can you explain in 'laymans terms' what that page means?

Comment

Anyone stocking up on food in case there is a pandemic?

The NHS website suggests stocking up with at least two weeks supply of food.

I would think most people have a lot more than two weeks worth of food in the house anyway.

Best we get growing more fruit and veg then.

Last edited by 21again; 28-04-2009, 09:09 PM.
                              Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Geo..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X