Swine flu

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
    Can you explain in 'laymans terms' what that page means?
    Think (if I understand correctly) is that basically young healthy adults are more at risk in certain cases as their bodies immune system goes into overdrive and causes a potenially fatal reaction in the body. The young and the old's immune systems are not as strong therefore the reaction is far less likely to be fatal as the strength of the reaction depends on how strong the immune system is to start with
    Last edited by RedThorn; 28-04-2009, 09:00 PM.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Can you explain in 'laymans terms' what that page means?
      I'll try. When we get infected by a virus or bacterium, our immune system responds in a number of ways. One of them is to produce cytokines which are chemicals that make our immune cells respond effectively by attracting them to the site of infection (nose and lungs for flu). These cells can accumulate in the lungs and produce fluids and block the airways (drowning effectively). In healthy young people with a vigorous immune system, this response can go into overdrive.
      Last edited by Capsid; 28-04-2009, 09:01 PM.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
        I'll try. When we get infected by a virus or bacterium, our immune system responds in a number of ways. One of them is to produce cytokines which are chemicals that make our immune cells respond effectively by attracting them to the site of infection (nose and lungs for flu). These cells can accumulate in the lungs and produce fluids and block the airways (drowning effectively). In healthy young people with a vigorous immune system, this response can go into overdrive.
        Why can it go into overdrive in the young? I understand how flu works my Dad was 68 when he died from it. Sorry, but it don't answer my question of why it affects people between the age of 18 to 40, not posted by you Capsid I understand, but referred to in your reply. Thanks for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
          Think (if I understand correctly) is that basically young healthy adults are more at risk in certain cases as their bodies immune system goes into overdrive and causes a potenially fatal reaction in the body. The young and the old's immune systems are not as strong therefore the reaction is far less likely to be fatal as the strength of the reaction depends on how strong the immune system is to start with
          What I don't get, and not having a go or anything, but '5 a day veg' and a strong immune system has been promoted has it not, don't make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
            Well, I'm 47 so I guess I may fall into the 'old' category, hopefully!

So there are some benefits to being older then.

Cheap car insurance and less chance of getting swine flu!

Last edited by 21again; 28-04-2009, 09:13 PM.
            Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by 21again View Post
              Well if it does become a Pandemic it will spread a lot faster than the Spanish Flu one in 1918 because of the way we are able to jet about from country to country.

That one killed up to 100 million people!

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi, according to that link it's the same strain in 1918 that the WHO has identified as happening now. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, A type H1N1?

Comment

What I don't get, and not having a go or anything, but '5 a day veg' and a strong immune system has been promoted has it not, don't make sense?
                Allergic anaphylaxis is another example of an over reaction by the immune system. The immune system is very complex and the mechanism by which it is controlled can go wrong. It's unclear why.
                Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Hi, according to that link it's the same strain in 1918 that the WHO has identified as happening now. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, A type H1N1?
                  It is H1N1, the same as the 1918 virus, but H1N1 is a group of virus strains. This swine flu is a completely new version made from the H(aemagglutinin) and N(euraminidase) virus proteins recombined from those of human, pig and bird flu viruses.
                  Last edited by Capsid; 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM.
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Allergic anaphylaxis is another example of an over reaction by the immune system. The immune system is very complex and the mechanism by which it is controlled can go wrong. It's unclear why.
                    Yeah I know, I suffered that in 1995, understand anaphylaxis to be an 'allergy' though? I wear a SOS badge for the drugs I am allergic to! Don't understand how having flu and anaphylaxis are the same tho?

Comment

It is H1N1, the same as the 1918 virus, but H1N1 is a group of virus strains. This swine flu is a completely new version made from the H(ayluronidase) and N(euraminidase) virus proteins recombined from those of human, pig and bird flu viruses.
                      It's A type though, does that make a difference?

Comment

Yeah I know, I suffered that in 1995, understand anaphylaxis to be an 'allergy' though? I wear a SOS badge for the drugs I am allergic to! Don't understand how having flu and anaphylaxis are the same tho?
                        It's another example of how the immune system can get out of control, in other words it is not unprecedented.
                        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It's A type though, does that make a difference?
                          All pandemic viruses are of avian virus origin which are A types. This swine flu has avian virus mixed in.

Maybe keeping chickens is not such a good idea.
                          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It's another example of how the immune system can get out of control, in other words it is not unprecedented.

Mark, what I don't understand is how, I can suffer 'allergic reactions - life threatening' to drugs and yet people can have the same affect at the age 18 to 40 with a flu virus? Sorry, but that can't be predicted, like my reaction couldn't and what, on a scale that is being predicted re - flu virus affecting 18 to 40 year olds? Know you didn't post that but we're talking about it. How can you predict that this 'flu virus' is going to attact a certain age group?

Comment

Mark, what I don't understand is how, I can suffer 'allergic reactions - life threatening' to drugs and yet people can have the same affect at the age 18 to 40 with a flu virus? Sorry, but that can't be predicted, like my reaction couldn't and what, on a scale that is being predicted re - flu virus affecting 18 to 40 year olds? Know you didn't post that but we're talking about it. How can you predict that this 'flu virus' is going to attact a certain age group?
                              It's quite a large age range so it isn't precise is it? And there have been deaths of children in Mexico. There was no way that the effect on the age group could be predicted and maybe it is too early to say that this is the case now. The cytokine storm is a recognised medical condition and it could explain the 1918 pandemic. It's not confirmed that this is what is happening now.
                              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It's quite a large age range so it isn't precise is it? And there have been deaths of children in Mexico. There was no way that the effect on the age group could be predicted and maybe it is too early to say that this is the case now. The cytokine storm is a recognised medical condition and it could explain the 1918 pandemic. It's not confirmed that this is what is happening now.
                                A virus is not 'age specific' It's only being around for what 7 days - and they can predict the age range it will affect, no I don't think so
                                Last edited by MrsC; 28-04-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X