No announcement yet.

Central Heating?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like you Squirell I don't know what central heating is! Two wood burners and they heat the whole house. It even gets too hot at times We have just had 12 cubic meters of wood delivered so guess what I will be doing in my spare time. Hope the chain saw still works
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Hi roitelet, sounds just like my folks when they had the house in Brittany. We spent Christmas there the first year they had it with no CH, only the open fire and the kitchen was in the garage, whose doors were draughty, as the floor in the kitchen wasn't finished let alone the units etc. It was cold but good fun. The next time we did Christmas there was soooooooooooo different as it was all finished. Although admittedly we tended to spend summer there and Mr E and I spent our honeymoon there. They had a great veg plot. We'd have bought the house if we could have but funds not there so it went to a parisian couple.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
        PS yep, I would give up the CH for an open fire and back boiler, oooh, while I'm thinking, an aga as well......if the christmas fairy is listening!................ DDL
        Think of all the cleaning DDL and ........ the dust, heaving in the coal, always having the fire laid, getting rid of the ash, continually having to get up to stoke the fire, waiting for the room to heat up, chilblains (sitting too close to the fire), burnt rugs ...... I could go on!
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie - that's no problem! a few years ago (mmm. crikey! 13!) we stayed in a cottage (in July!) for our hols....guess who got up and did the wooden stove everyday? Happiness! DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Jennie - Open fires are quite messy - when we moved into this house it required gutting from top to bottom and we only had open fires, no central heating at all (not to mention no kitchen ) but with all the building dust and debris, and a 6 month old baby, we didn't notice. Now, with the woodburning stove there is no mess, no dust, one annual clean and the heat is phenomenal for the size of stove.

Roitelet - what does 12 cubic metres of wood look like - three of us clubbed together and bought a timber lorry full of logs - 28 tonnes - we reckon we've now cut and split about 20 tonnes and my share should last me at least three years.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hate to rub it in, but I was gardening in t shirt and shorts today and OH had just shorts on, and we've both caught the sun.
              Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Oh dear Squirrel, you take me back to memories I would prefer to forget! - the fireplace with the back boiler. You ran off a bath, got in it, and until the fire had heated the tank of water again, you had no means of topping up the bath. The water in the bath seemed to go cold long before the tank hotted up.

It also reminds me of frozen windows, inside and out. Very pretty patterns, but soooo cold. The morning flit across the lino to the bathroom. Chilblains. But there were no dust mites in them days. It took us all a lot to survive. When I look back at the conditions in our (me and my sister) bedroom, I think in winter it could have been rented out to Birdseye.

I have been told that central heating softens you, and for many, many years I have been quite happy to have been softened.

Winter weight (15 togs) duvet gone on today. CH won't be many days after!
                I feel a depression coming on!!

Roll on Christmas, when we will have passed the winter solstice, and it will be getting light again, and we can start sowing seeds and planning for the 2007 crop of 'home grown'.

valmarg

Comment

Yes,central heating on for few hours yesterday for first time!

Comment

last year we had no electric and no gas, this year we have double glazing and central heating, we put the autum duvet on today, wont get the winter one out till december, we put the heating on but cant remember how to use it, it was june when it went in!
                    Yo an' Bob
                    Walk lightly on the earth
                    take only what you need
                    give all you can
                    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Ours kicked one morning earlier this week.

Not been on since and it is quite warm in here at the moment. My job gets me involved with the forecasted weather during the autumn/winter so I am keeping an eye on it.

Looks to be quite mild for the next few days so no CH.

Comment

CH goes on only at bath time our bathroom is long and narrow & on the outside wall of the house - it gets a tad nippy! The winter quilt is on & the fire laid just waiting for the mearest hint of a stay-in-doors day..!
                        How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Heating has been on for a few hours a day for 2 weeks now, heavy jumper also on!

What happened to that lovley sunshine

Comment

I spent a couple of hours at the weekend with my OH bringing in some of the peats we cut in the early summer for our multi-fuel Rayburn and collecting logs, we've had it fired up now for a few days and it's lovely to come home to a warm house. The only trouble is you can't regulate the temperature very well. Never mind, my Christmas cake turned out rather well all things considered! SO glad I'm not on oil.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

hi everyone,

made the mistake of putting on my central heating last night for the first time, and was late for work this morning... sooo warm n comfy, i just couldn't get out of bed!!! nice through.

Comment

Hi LR and welcome to the Vine! as you can probably tell we are all a bit mad here, but very friendly and helpful! know what you mean about in a morning, especially with the heating on - and the dark mornings - nothing like wanting to snuggle back down into the duvet! DDL
                                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X