No announcement yet.

Central Heating?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have one fireplace open here, with a really cool living flame gas fire in it (it was fitted when we moved in and was an expensive one), which does throw out loads of heat when its working, trouble is it needs servicing every year, and is currently out of action, so Mr Dobby is really keen to get a real fire fitted, which I can recollect as being wonderful when I was a kid! May just have to let him take a crowbar to the one that fitted, when we eventually finish putting up the greenhouse and getting the plot sorted out....
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by multiveg View Post
      What central heating!? We only have two gas fires. Many people in the area have open fires.
      Hi Multiveg,

Pardon my geographical ignorance, but which bit of Wales is North West? Spent my honeymoon in and around Caernarfon - would that be about it?

Have had heating on here for the last week as the sprogs were grouching about getting up with the house a bit cooler. Personally, I don't feel the need for it yet but an hour in the morning makes a difference to the offspring and makes it easier to get the little bleepers up and moving!!! Now just need central heating in my plastic greenhouse to make sure my chili's last the winter! LOL
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        Hi Multiveg,

Pardon my geographical ignorance, but which bit of Wales is North West? Spent my honeymoon in and around Caernarfon - would that be about it?

YES. That's where I live
        My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
        Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Hi all. Have resisted the CH so far, not difficult the boiler isn't working and fixing it costs £. Have had to rely on immersion for hot water, about one hour a day if I remember and need to do a lot of washing up. Shower preheats it's own water. Miss E only needs a bath if mud has featured (or perhaps a lot of paint at school).

We have now had to succumb to calling someone out to fix the boiler. It hasn't been too bad the towel rail in the bathroom is heated and I've made a point of baking and doing casseroles in the oven. Finally got crimbo cake done because of that. We were very toasty warm that night.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Central Heating - what's that? The winter duvet is on but the only form of heating is a small fireplace with a back boiler. I am in the process of nagging the landlord half to death to get some central heating in as I went through last winter with the temperature on average at between 8 - 10 C Not a pleasant experience. If I use the wood fire, half the heat goes up the chimney and costs in the region of £15.00 a week to feed. That is a lot of food money going up the chimney!

Comment

I know it must be time to turn on the heating when the hubby complains of my cold feet in bed!!!

Came home last night to find the MIL sitting in front of the ancient electic heater but with only the light on. (it has a light that illuminates this plastic fake log arrangement.) Mind over matter I guess!!

Comment

I'd love to put our central heating on, as its freezing (sea winds and all that), but our CH is broken

We have the winter duvet on the bed and I've just been layering up at night in the house (2 pairs of socks, large cardigan etc)

We'll have to wait until next payday to have it fixed (providing it's not really expensive), so at least we're saving money/the environment...

Comment

We had oil delivered on Monday: £294 for 1000litres - in Wiltshire.

Haven't put CH on yet, but having the hot water on heats around 1/3 of our radiators, which takes the chill off a bit.
                  Lit the wood burner for the first time last night and a 'funny story' ensued (one of those deemed to be funny after the event): doors closed on wood burner in lounge, OH and I preparing dinner in the kitchen. As the smoke drifted through the dining room and in to the kitchen we went to investigate. Smoke filled the room, smoke alarm in hallway (behind closed door) going like the proverbial, us opening windows and choking... Examined the fire: everything seems ok; it's drawing etc. Anyway, it turns out that a log from the pile next to the woodburner, is leaning on the WB itself and is smouldering away nicely! OH picked it up (at which point flames were present), and rapidly followed me out as I opened the back door and we extinguished said log with a bowl of potato peelings in water (potatoes, indidentally that I had forgotten to get in the day light and went out with a torch to dig up with my hands!)
                  Needless to say, it still smells a little smoky today. It could've been so much worse, what with us living in a thatched house!

Earthbabe - you've made your Christmas cake already! WOW! The recipe I use says from Nov onwards. Is yours a particularly special recipe, and could it may be find it's way on to the Grape Vine? (Pretty please!) Don't worry if it's a secret family recipe handed down through the generations.

Comment

Not a secret family recipe just an adaptation of a Marguerite Patten one. It has traditionally been made in our family from end of Sept/beginning of Oct to mature. It won't be marzipanned and iced until nearer the time to prevent discolouration. Also this year we are travelling to Jersey for Christmas with my folk (first in 9 years) so although I may marzipan it I will probably leave the icing for Miss E and my nephew to do when we get to Jersey. My sister will love me for that - haven't told her yet!
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Oh dear that is a bit organised, the only thing I have done in prep for Xmas is the sloe gin. As for the central heating, well it went on for the first time last night.... how depressing! I am a bit of a softie though 13.5 tog duvet even in mid summer right up to the neck. Can't stand the cold, you wouldn't think my ancestors were Vikings!

Comment

We have gas CH. it has gone up in price twice this year. Its now 69% dearer than it was this time last year. Our electricity has also risen in price. We are being fleesed in this country as we are SUPPOSED to be well off. Fat chance with the price hikes we are having constantly.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Open fires! well, that takes me back to my childhood! fabulous! I spent hours staring into the flames - getting a burnt face, and making pictures with the flames, coal and logs! Making toast and crumpets! Aaahhh! Happy days! No chance where we live now, unfortunately! DDL
                          PS yep, I would give up the CH for an open fire and back boiler, oooh, while I'm thinking, an aga as well......if the christmas fairy is listening!................ DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Wow Waffler, your oil supplier sounds cheap - wonder if the prices are dropping with the petrol!

I was surprised yours was cheaper than ours Jennie, but I wonder if it's the quantity you're buying in - we only ever buy 1000 litres a time give or take.

No central heating on here yet anyway - hubby and I hate being too hot (we're wierd like that). In fact we still have the Summer weight duvet on too. It is starting to get chilly here at night though and I noticed the windows upstairs are shut every night (even though I open them every day!). I love this time of year - sunny, chilly starts, lovely colours everywhere, blowing the mothballs off the woolies...not really a summer person at all. I think my perfect holiday would be in Alaska
                            If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
                            Cicero

Comment

We've not needed the fire yet in Angus,rain today but sheltered from the worst of the winds by the Angus hills(bottom of Cairngorms) when it's off shore,on shore comes straight from the Baltic so the multi-fuel stove will be on then,off to get some wood and peat.

Comment

CH went on earlier this week, mind you, OH believes that you should be able to sit in the house in shorts even in January so it's a bit of an issue in our house - maybe I'm just tight but my I prefer to put on a jumper, I've paid spend enough on clothes so I want to get good use out of them! Oon the medium duvet now but only since the weekend after having to get up in the night to find some socks. Mind you listening to the rain and wind tonight I'm happy to be curled up in the warm on the sofa - actually must be getting old, am sure I used to be partying on a Friday night..............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X