i have a problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
    i planted it in the ground next to the yucca that got too big for the house, that's been out 3 years now, and surprisingly it's still green and alive even in this weather lol ...... the banana grew to about 2 foot before an early unexpected frost hit it ..... but anyway, if one frost kills something, it's no good in my garden, i'm useless at pampering things lol ...... though obviously i shall try to be more careful next time. ....... i bought it as a seedling, and was surprised it lived as long as it did ...... anyway, i think i might have another one on my windowsill ..... i say think, cos i somehow have something banana looking growing in a pot i'd given up on, and that had no label.

If you can't pamper plants you would hate my garden. I have to go round 3 times a night with a bottle of Vick and rub it on their ickle stems and stamens in case they get a cold.

Maybe your other 'banana' is a canna? They look just like bananas until they suddenly throw out the most beautiful flowers. One of my favourite plants (apart from the insect eaters) are the Puyas which are beautiful but have the most horrendous spines. OH thinks I'm weird so she has her own flower garden area and I have my little shop of horrors. One day I shall feed her cat to it if it doesn't stop poohing.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Mine has been completely taken over by buttercups, planning to clear it, put the plants I want to keep in pots. (roses and herbs)
      Lay down mulch fabric and make raised beds before re-planting what I have kept.
      Also want to put a tree in memory of Steve's dad out there. I fancied an ornamental cherry, but he wants to put a palm out there (the hardier the better) as Dad loved the palms he had in their garden in Spain.
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
        If you can't pamper plants you would hate my garden. I have to go round 3 times a night with a bottle of Vick and rub it on their ickle stems and stamens in case they get a cold.

Maybe your other 'banana' is a canna? They look just like bananas until they suddenly throw out the most beautiful flowers. One of my favourite plants (apart from the insect eaters) are the Puyas which are beautiful but have the most horrendous spines. OH thinks I'm weird so she has her own flower garden area and I have my little shop of horrors. One day I shall feed her cat to it if it doesn't stop poohing.
        nope, think it's some kind of tropical palm, i did have a few different seeds, and i know some of them were freebie bananas, deffo not canna's, oh well it could be any number of things cos i haven't got anything to compare it to lol ..... i'm not very good at labelling things, theres about 4/5 differnt things came up last year, and have no idea what any of them were lol ...... think the snow has probably killed them off now, so will never know ....... i do like weird things, especially weird things with black flowers, i'm just not very good at growing them.

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
          Mine has been completely taken over by buttercups, planning to clear it, put the plants I want to keep in pots. (roses and herbs)
          Lay down mulch fabric and make raised beds before re-planting what I have kept.
          Also want to put a tree in memory of Steve's dad out there. I fancied an ornamental cherry, but he wants to put a palm out there (the hardier the better) as Dad loved the palms he had in their garden in Spain.
          I'm looking at the veg as soil conditioning ..... when i eventually get a lottie, the front garden soil should be fab, so i can grow pretty flowers in it, i don't want a lawn at the front any more, just have no real idea or plans what to do with it ...... i do love palms too

Comment

Lynda, I seem to remember you recently had problems with money, and your central heating, no wonder you're feeling a bit tired/jaded/unenthusiastic. It's also pretty damn cold at the moment Just relax, look after yourself, do another interest, and get back to the allotment in a couple of weks or so

Comment

i still have problems with money lol ..... and me and the heating have come to an agreement ..... if it's really cold it is allowed an hour .......

i think it's mostly the cold .... and snow just doesn't seem to be saying ...... grow veg ........ so yup snuggling up in front of the fire ...... and ignoring all the motivated people and thinking about how much chaos the chickies will cause when they start flying over next doors fence

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                Well, you can join me in starting late It'll make me feel better too

DITTO!

Add me to that late start list as well please!

My poor greenhouse is freezing, I need to replace 6 bits of glass. Have not had the money, time or help I need to do it! Most of the broken glass is in the roof, I can't reach to replace them. I hate heights makes me quite dizzy so climbing a ladder and handling glass at the same time scares the wotsits out of me!

I also have no compost apart form that I'm itching to get started! LOL
                Can't wait till payday, still got another week to go! that last few days between monthly paydays are always so slow!!! (sulk sulk)

When I get my pay, I think I'll be off out to look for a small heated propagator to put in the spear bedroom. That room is quite cold but is about the only room that I can shut off from the cats to stop them jumping on the windowsill so my baby plants should be safe in there!

Thinking will also start some chilli seeds off in the airing cupboard, when I get some compost "HURRY UP PAYDAY!" she screams in her head! lol

Oh well, cmon peeps.... all us slow boats can give each other some support

Have a great day everyone!
                xxx Jan
                Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well I haven't sown anything yet either. Some time this week I shall sow some onion seeds in a little pot on the kitchen windowsill. In another couple of weeks I shall sow a few chilli pepper seeds - got 2 types from the HSL this morning. After that it'll be March before much happens. I don't worry about keeping up with people, or getting down to some hard work in the cold. I have this problem with guilt, you see. I don't have any!
                  Last edited by Flummery; 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM. Reason: sp See me!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Irie Jan View Post
                    My poor greenhouse is freezing, I need to replace 6 bits of glass. Have not had the money, time or help I need to do it! Most of the broken glass is in the roof, I can't reach to replace them. I hate heights makes me quite dizzy so climbing a ladder and handling glass at the same time scares the wotsits out of me!
                    Where in Essex Irie? I could perhaps come over and fit 4 you if you want.... also what size panes? There's a place near me who sells them at a reasonable price per pane. I think they were about 4 panes for a tenner
                    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      Well I haven't sown anything yet either. Some time this week I shall sow some onion seeds in a little pot on the kitchen windowsill. In another couple of weeks I shall sow a few chilli pepper seeds - got 2 types from the HSL this morning. After that it'll be March before much happens. I don't worry about keeping up with people, or getting down to some hard work in the cold. I have this problem with guilt, you see. I don't have any!
                      I'm not gonna waste any of the seed you sent! must be the yorkshire blood in me (mum's a yorkshire lass)
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I havent started yet but am itching to do so, I sorted out my seeds yesterday and found a few I could start off but before I do I will have to clear out the spare room as I have a kitchen worktop in there that I could use to put them on, the room gets the sun if any, first thing in the morning and if I put the radiator back on it will be nice and warm.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

I'm considering putting in some chillies to get earlies but everything outside is out and nothing I can do inside as there's nowhere warm enough I'm gonna have to find a window for the chillies in a room that is currently heated
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I was bought a heat mat recently - t'was on one of the shopping channels. I'm tempted, but light levels will mean leggy plants - I fell for that last year.

I've onion sets and garlic in pots in my mini greenhouse - that's it. Oh, and my chilli plants (1 of each jalepeno, purple tiger, cayenne and twilight) over wintering on my window sills.

Potatoes will likely be the first thing I plant proper.
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I haven't sown anything yet, either! I did pot up some small shrubs, but that's because they were frozen solid and I figured that wasn't very healthy for them! I did bring in a bag of compost to thaw out on MONDAY, but so far, I've looked at it, made a cup of tea and sulked on the sofa - seems to be a regular theme, here!

I find I 're-awaken' when the light gets better. At the moment, arriving home in the dark, I just want to eat and then sleep!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                                Where in Essex Irie? I could perhaps come over and fit 4 you if you want.... also what size panes? There's a place near me who sells them at a reasonable price per pane. I think they were about 4 panes for a tenner
                                Awwww that is soo sweet of you Red Thorn!!! Thanks so much I might just take you up on that! I will have to get back to you with the size of the glass. cant think at the moment! Perhaps If you could make it, we could wait till it warms up just a little! will PM you more info in a few mins Thanks!
                                Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X