No announcement yet.

i have a problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm watching my onion sets and garlic through the window, (well it's freezing, and we only got our central heating boiler mended last night after 10 days!) The radicchio is too far unless I stretch into the corner with my nose pressed against the glass. So I have all my seed and plant catalogues out, and I keep making lists.
    Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Im not planting anything now either. Like you I was getting a bit panicked with all the early sowing go on around here!
      Im gonna wait till its a bit warmer, follow the instructions on the packet and use the greenhouse I just dont have the room indoors.
      Last edited by FionaH; 31-12-2008, 04:20 PM.
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'm not sowing any seeds for a few weeks yet. I have onion sets and garlic I planted back in November on the lottie, and some broadies I hopefully planted then too but they succumed to the cold weather... and made me realise just how cold and early it is yet.

Dont worry Lynda, when the time is right for you you'll be raring to go, enjoy having your feet up off the cold wet soil for a wee while longer - and remember, you're not the only one
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

well i was thinking about getting broccoli seeds so i guess theres some hope lol ...... too much snow to do anything yet, might get some compost next week though ...... just in case

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
            i can't get motivated to join in with the early planting, mostly cos it's too much effort to go get a bag of compost ....... still haven't pulled up last years plants or spread my home made compost, or actually done anything in preparation ....... just have no interest in it yet

and everyones starting to talk about gardening again
            lol my allotment is being prepared nicely but I just keep closing the curtains on my garden! Its closed down as I have a lot of exotic plants that have been covered up for winter, so it looks pretty barren........i need to put down mulch, homemade compost, tidy it up and make it look bearable again, probably wait till March lol......
            Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
              lol my allotment is being prepared nicely but I just keep closing the curtains on my garden! Its closed down as I have a lot of exotic plants that have been covered up for winter, so it looks pretty barren........i need to put down mulch, homemade compost, tidy it up and make it look bearable again, probably wait till March lol......

Know how you feel Lady. My tree fern looks like my dish cloth and my 3rd year (should flower this year) Echium pininana is like a floor cloth. My Eremurus robustus are fast asleep under the soil and my bananas and cycads are refusing to come out of the greenhouse.

Can I set an alarm call for March please?
              Last edited by sarraceniac; 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

i didn't get to my banana in time with the unexpected frost we had, in november and it turned into brown goo ...... so looks like i'll have to be getting another one this year.

Comment

Chop the gooey top off Lynda and put it in a cold greenhouse keeping it dry until spring. You never know, especially with Musa basjoo or sikimensis. It may come again.

>

Comment

it's just a big lump of brown goo though lol ..... if it survived would be a miracle, ...... i figured the brown goo would keep it warm lol ...... had a poke a while back and it's all brown inside too ...... and grounds too frozen to dig, was supposed to be winter hardy, but maybe thats when they are fully grown ....... the good news is my yucca isn't dead yet
                    Last edited by lynda66; 07-01-2009, 09:10 PM.

Comment

it's just a big lump of brown goo though lol ..... if it survived would be a miracle, ...... i figured the brown goo would keep it warm lol ...... had a poke a while back and it's all brown inside too ...... and grounds too frozen to dig, was supposed to be winter hardy, but maybe thats when they are fully grown ....... the good news is my yucca isn't dead yet
                      Oh you mean it's in the ground not a pot. And you didn't even mulch and fleece let alone lifting it. No musa is fully winter hardy even when large. They all need a bit of TLC from straw and fleece in winter. Some nurseries will tell (sell) you anything. I cut my big yins down to about 1 foot and cover them with straw and hessian. And I'm still a bit worried this year. The babies are in pots and go under glass.

>

Comment

i can't get motivated to join in with the early planting... .... just have no interest in it yet

and everyones starting to talk about gardening again
                        Glad i am not the only one! The only things i have growing are onion sets & garlic planted in pots in the greenhouse last Oct/Nov.

Even getting part of my garden done & my veg plot doubled in size with nice new raised beds hasn't motivated me to get out & do anything yet - its just too damned cold! Even in my greenhouse which i did manage to insulate with bubblewrap (with a bit of help from OH & Daddio) it was reading -8 degrees And everything is just frozen solid.

I have managed to get three bags of compost whilst we were at B&Q getting other stuff, and my seed box if full to bursting. Perhaps if i have a real ruthless sort out in there it may spur me on...
                        Jane,
                        keen but (slightly less) clueless
                        http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Did not have anything overwintering except some leeks, which I can't even get out of the ground now.
                          Ground too frozen to dig, but have finally built the first proper raised bed on my plot and I am going to get some manure from a local farm at the weekend via freecycle. Have found out rent is going to be requested at end of Jan, so I can make plans now.
                          Front garden however, is horrible. May be asking for help in completely re-doing it when the weather allows!
                          Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                            Oh you mean it's in the ground not a pot. And you didn't even mulch and fleece let alone lifting it. No musa is fully winter hardy even when large. They all need a bit of TLC from straw and fleece in winter. Some nurseries will tell (sell) you anything. I cut my big yins down to about 1 foot and cover them with straw and hessian. And I'm still a bit worried this year. The babies are in pots and go under glass.
                            i planted it in the ground next to the yucca that got too big for the house, that's been out 3 years now, and surprisingly it's still green and alive even in this weather lol ...... the banana grew to about 2 foot before an early unexpected frost hit it ..... but anyway, if one frost kills something, it's no good in my garden, i'm useless at pampering things lol ...... though obviously i shall try to be more careful next time. ....... i bought it as a seedling, and was surprised it lived as long as it did ...... anyway, i think i might have another one on my windowsill ..... i say think, cos i somehow have something banana looking growing in a pot i'd given up on, and that had no label.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                              Perhaps if i have a real ruthless sort out in there it may spur me on...
                              tried that ...... didn't work, though it did make me think about buying broccoli seeds ...... i still have loads of veg in the ground, carrots, parsnips, onions, swede, turnips, beetroot,leeks, cauli, romanesco, but they are currently all under 4 inches of snow, and kinda wilted ..... except the romanesco, thats in the polytunnel, as seedlings were only planted just before xmas
                              Last edited by lynda66; 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                                Front garden however, is horrible. !
                                mines horrible too ...... but full of veg lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X