Clear All

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
    Ahem, I play front row (No 3) for Aylestons St James
    Now why am I not surprised that you is a prop
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge
      ...They pay foreign players as a route to quick success. A young home grown player will take 5-6 years of coaching etc before becoming the player his manager wants him to be. If someone else has already done the work, and he can be bought, he will be bought. Chelsea under the first 2 years of Abramovich is a case in point.
      But buying players isn't a guarenteed way to success. Still if the home grown talent was there it would be played. It isn't - where are the players that are the equal of some of the foreign players? Thats the point, if there weren't foreign players why would our own players necessarily be individually or collectively any better? Just cos they're playing for (name a top club) doesn't mean they're good enough to beat (name a top international team) does it?

There is no one reason why we are poor at international level and no one 'easy answer'.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I would agree completely that buying players doesnt guarantee success, and would also agree that there is no one reason why we are poor at international level.
        There is homegrown talent, but my point is that the talent we have is being stifled by slightly better talent being brought in from abroad. Thus the homegrown talent doesnt get to play at the level required to improve him and so when he does get to the international scene, the gulf in class is more evident.
        I shall now bow out of this thread in case I offend anyone, I have said my piece. PW every year in English football, the SA Cup is not played for. The FA cup, however, is. Association football is indeed football.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I'm sorry boble that is a pretty arguement, but there is no proof to back it up. If we had swept all before us prior to the 'influx' of foreign players then maybe...but the gulf in class that is so apparent at international level is there long before they play at that level.

Also there are plenty out there that put playing for their club above playing for country, same goes for fans.

Do we have to ban foreign coaches/managers too?

Comment

Also there are plenty out there that put playing for their club above playing for country
            Yes but who pays their wages(too much to for my mind)
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

I just cant leave that last one. I am not saying we swept all before us, before the flood of foreign players arrived, but most definately in football, except for 1974 we were always there or thereabouts when it came to international competition. We just arent these days. Its not the only reason, I'm not suggesting for one minute it is, but it is (imho) a contributory factor.
              The foreign rugby players have only relatively recently come to England in great numbers. I watch with interest the fortunes of our national side.
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge
                ...but most definately in football, except for 1974 we were always there or thereabouts when it came to international competition...
                We won it once - as host nation - since then?

Comment

Regularly quarter finalists and even semi finalists.
                  Last time round we couldnt even qualify for the European championships.
                  Bob Leponge

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                    Ahem, I play front row (No 3) for Aylestons St James
                    How's the "Jimmies" doing these days?,I'm ex Wigston second row myself,long since retired but keep an eye on how Leicester Lions are doing as well as the Tigers.Did get to see them last year at Murrayfield in the Heineken Cup hope we fair better this year,then I can watch them in the final.TIGERSSSSSSSSS............TIGERSSSSSSSSSSSS

Comment

Plough up the footie pitches and turn 'em into Allotments...

Use the footie players' wages to grow food to feed the starving...

But leave Rugby alone!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                        Regularly quarter finalists and even semi finalists.
                        Last time round we couldnt even qualify for the European championships.
                        When we won we only qualified as host nation, 1970 qualified as winners, 1974 - oops! These things aren't as straightforward as you suggest. Also its terribly British to celebrate 'not winning' isn't it. So one win....

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                          Don't do Rugby - you need edjumacatin!
                          I know, I know, my occasional OH is a fanatic, I don't mind watching, ( thighs) just don't 'get' it.

comes from living so far darn sarf i reckon.
                          Vive Le Revolution!!!
                          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                            We won it once - as host nation - since then?
                            you are playing a blinder as we speak/type
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                              I shall now bow out of this thread in case I offend anyone...
                              I'm totally offended, this was a thread about the mighty Leicester Tigers RFC, why are people discussing Wendy Ball?

Mark
                              http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
                              http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by littlemark View Post
                                I'm totally offended, this was a thread about the mighty Leicester Tigers RFC, why are people discussing Wendy Ball?

Mark
                                I have no idea Mark and I share your horror
                                aka
                                Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X