This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornin n’alln’all
    Late start for me - rubbish night’s sleep….OH has a cold and was snoring his head off all night
    Could you hear him ?…might have come across as distant rumbling thunder

Hibou has improved enough to catch a mouse for her mid morning snack. Still on antibiotics , seems back to normal with her paw now but I know she must finish the course.

Some domestics then attack some paperwork whilst the weather is rubbish.
    We have gusty winds and rain and it’s very dull. 5C overnight and now only 4C. Feels like there might be hailstones or sleet due.
    I can’t stop looking at the lush green lawn in desperate need of cutting. This sit on mower we bought last year can cope with lush , long grass apparently so long as it’s dry. This will be a real test for it as it’s another week until we are forecast a few dry days giving it a chance to dry out. Fingers crossed it can do what it said on the tin!

Anyone fancy a brew?…I’m just about to pop the kettle on.
    Thinking I might make some flapjacks for OH later, but I’m afraid I’ve nothing here to munch with the hot drink…..unless anyone has anything spare to share?

Enjoy your day peeps. I’ve not seen the smiles yet- did they pass by earlier or are they hunkered down somewhere?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Really windy here…the electricity keep flicking on and off

Comment

• Good afternoon all.

I went out earlier and it was CHILLY🥶. There was a light frost in the early hours but we're now back to grey. While I was out I went and bought some jars of coffee. In the same shop they had some fresh peaches that actually feel ripe and ready to eat. I can't stand hard unripe fruit. I bought peaches and 🤫 some clotted cream ice cream for a treat.

Jay, your granddaughter sounds like a typical 3 year old. Little girls learn naturally how to charm their male relatives at a very young age.

Rary, I am so happy to only vaguely remember the pre bathroom era. I remember visiting one set of grandparents as a little girl and my uncle, a teenager, being in a tin bath in front of the kitchen fire. The other set of grandparents had a built in bath in the kitchen that was covered with a formica worktop most of the time. I know that happily my parents moved into a modern house when I was two.

Comment

• I don’t recall my grandparents with a tin bath but they must of had one still when I was a tiny nipper as I recall their landlord building an extension over their kitchen specifically to create a bathroom for them. I guess the tin bath must have been stored in the coal shed.( which sort of defeats having a bath!!!!)
          I do recall being given a bedpan for ‘wee wees only’ pre bathroom as the alternative was to go to their outhouse in the dark .

Funny how this has jogged my memory.
          I also recall people going to the local swimming baths to have an actual bath rather than going for a swim.
          It must have been a similar service over here too as there is a disused bathhouse in the centre of one of our local towns.

Comment

• I know a lot of folk in Yorkshire hung their tin baths on a hook outside the kitchen door. The reason I know this.....when I was a small child my dad (and grandad) were coalmen. They had a business delivering coal in Yorkshire. When my mother had had enough of me she sent me out in the wagon with my dad. We went down the "backs" of lots of houses and as a little girl, "helping" her daddy, I was treated like a little princess and learned an awful lot about life.
            Last edited by greenishfing; 26-02-2024, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• ....I also remember that the local swimming baths had " slipper baths". That meant normal baths. As for the bedpan, my grandma called it a "guzunder" as it goes under the edge of the bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                Rary, I am so happy to only vaguely remember the pre bathroom era. I remember visiting one set of grandparents as a little girl and my uncle, a teenager, being in a tin bath in front of the kitchen fire. The other set of grandparents had a built in bath in the kitchen that was covered with a formica worktop most of the time. I know that happily my parents moved into a modern house when I was two.
                gf evidently the modern houses must have been built a lot earlier in your area than they were built here in my area
                Last edited by Nicos; 26-02-2024, 09:05 PM. Reason: Fixing quote
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good evening, a lovely sunny day here today, on to really enjoy, which of course I would have one if I hadn't needed to take grandson to work, fallowed by going to Glasgow to pick up granddaughter who was dropping her car off for repair, once I had dropped her of at her home I then picked up OH and headed down to Ayr to pick up a table for son, once back home a quick bite to eat and a check of inside of eyelids before heading back to Glasgow again with granddaughter so she could collect her car and this happening during the busiest time of day for traffic on the road, back home on time to make the tea, and now busy looking for a job so that I can get sometime to myself 🙄 tomorrow it will be shopping visit to our friend then back home to take the dogs for a walk then a full two hours to myself, oh boy don't know how I am going to fill that amount of time in have a good evening and if you get a day like I have had, be grateful as it's nice to know they still need you .
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Rary, you deserve a medal.
                    But, as you say, it's good to know you're needed...
                    Sleep well. 😏

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning
                      Brew anyone?

More heavy rain forecast Hope it brightens some point later though. Who has the sun?
                      Northern England.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                        Love a brew please CG…mmm…ta muchly!

Funnily enough I’m thinking we’re going to be sharing a bit of someone else’s sun today. The very strong northerly winds have dropped and it’s stopped raining!….and…. we have small patches of blue sky - but don’t mention that please incase we scare it away!

We lost a hen when we were away - our neighbours found her dead in the field. It’s strange how some last 8 years whilst others just drop dead after a few months. I guess they are inbred? Most small farmers/ locals here who keep hens buy them in as large chicks early Spring , let them lay all summer then slowly eat them all over the winter period then start afresh the next Spring. So I guess inbreeding wouldn’t matter so much as far as longevity is concerned.
                        Ah well….so we’ve decided to get a couple of new ones this week so they’ll be in full lay by the time we have guests again. Thursday is Market Day so watch this space!

More paperwork for me today, but if it stays dry this afternoon I’ll be outside doing something for sure!

Enjoy your day peeps.

Comment

• Good Morning All No sun here it's very gloomy. Have a good day
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.

No sun here either. It's just stopped raining but looks as if the next downpour is imminent. I'm sure we've got other people's share too this year.

I'm going out shortly. I'll deliver some banana loaves I've made and then a glory hop.

Although the peaches I was tempted to buy yesterday were sort of ripe they just didn't have that luscious sweetness and juice I was hoping for. I'll wait for Summer before I let myself be tempted again.

Comment

• Good morning g all,
                              I will own up...we have the sun here.
                              Its 8 degs at the moment so a nice day for a walk in the park.l
                              GF, I think you have been getting our share of the rain.
                              It hasn't rained here for the last 10 days or there about,

Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Right , come on everyone. I've got the bus out, clean, warm and ready to get over to the Brambles for some sunshine.
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X