Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's 1°C here now and keeps stopping and starting snowing. Even though it looks really grim outdoors a couple of the local pigeons decided to get amorous....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230309_145532.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	2559179
    They started getting very friendly and eventually.....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230309_145510.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	2559180
    they got rather more than friendly.

I suppose it took their bird brains off the weather.

Comment

• Great pics GF.
      Bet that put in your afternoon watching that carry on. 😃

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Pre- Mornin n’alln’all

Just been woken by very high winds whipping around the house and through the trees. I imagine there will be quite a few broken branches on the ground by daylight.
        At least it’s good for drying and then starter wood for the fires.

We’re off on a grory hop tomorrow - the first thing our friends asked was could we go and get some tomatoes!
        It’s funny how you suddenly start to desperately ‘need’ foods when they are in short supply. We got snowed in in central Cardiff many years ago and things like milk, bread, eggs didnt get through for three days by which time I couldn’t stop thinking about wanting eggs on toast, egg butties, Yorkshire pudding, bread and butter pudding with custard…

Lets see if I can get back to sleep…..that nice cuppa is now sitting lovely and warm and soporific in my tummy, so that should help!

Snoop, best warn the smiles to check my local weather if they were intending to pass over later , having said that, I bet flying sideways and being blown up and down could be quite good fun?
        Last edited by Nicos; 10-03-2023, 05:28 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.
          Still in the grip of snow though the big flakes have diminished to sleety stuff now, and the wind which was whipping the snow into a bit of a blizzard has died down.

The extra wool I need to finish my knitting arrived yesterday and the buttons came the day before, so I can get on and finish it. I needed extra wool because I altered the pattern a bit, plus added pockets and increased the length. I did have 100g more wool than the pattern suggested, but still not quite enough.

Stay warm and cosy everyone
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning

Still snowing here, schools and some roads closed we’ve got 6 inch in the garden. Glad I’ve got no plans to go out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	753F3D7F-D7F6-4403-8AA9-32C35E31CA16.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	346.7 KB ID:	2559200
            Last edited by Bren In Pots; 10-03-2023, 09:56 AM. Reason: nipped in garden to measure snow
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all. Have been away for a bit at the family down south but have obviously missed all the snow down there. Love the snow too. Had a wonderful break and thoroughly enjoyed the time we had with our granddaughter. What a change in her in just the few weeks since we had seen her!
              Off for a catch up, hope you are all well. x
              sigpic

Comment

• A white morning to you all.

Eventually the snow started settling yesterday evening and the world is now covered in a out 3 inches of whiteness. It is still snowing, but only lightly. It feels really cold. I feel sorry for man or beast that HAS to go outdoors today. I can't see me going far unless it's an emergency or it thaws.

I got a delivery from T & M yesterday. It was the hanging basket blackberries for my niece's birthday present. I unpacked them and they are now on my bathroom windowsill until I can get them to her. She lives up in the pennines where I have a sneaky suspicion there will be much deeper snow.

I was deciding what treat to make for Mr GF next. I've suddenly remembered that one of my grandmas used to make lovely raspberry buns when I was a child, so I have put out an SOS to my sisters to see if either of them have got the recipe.....no reply yet. Then, I found my mother's recipe for coffee buns so I might have a go at that today. I'll have to modify it a bit as I know I've no currants so I'll use either raisins or sultanas.

I've got BBC news on now. I've just been watching footage from the "Motorway that will never close" as some moron called the M62 when it first opened. It was, of course, closed .....as expected.

Keep warm everybody and take care!

Comment

• Morning all.

Well, it's blowing a gale here, but no snow. In fact, bright sunshine. Sorry about that. Looks like it's due to be quite warm here today. Doubly sorry about that. Not... We could do with a bit of sunshine to dry up all the puddles from the storm the other day.

The smiles set off all topsy turvy, Nicos. Looked like they were on a very windy roller coaster. Not my idea of fun, to be honest, but they looked like theyk were enjoying it. Might be a bit dizzy, though, by the time they get further north.

Made a birthday cake for a friend in the village this morning (Mary Berry chocolate fudge cake - topping was yummy, though the cake itself seems a bit soft, hope it gets there in one piece, as the dirt tracks are extremely bumpy).

Loads of work, as per. But manageable. The bank manager will be pleased, all the money I've spent recently...

Right, better get to it. Have a great day, everyone.
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 10-03-2023, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Hope you find the recipe GF you can't beat some of those old ones, I've got an old 'Regulo New World Gas cooker' recipe book mines the updated 1940 issue. Its a nice read and I've used a few of the recipes.

I nipped into the garden to take a small bay tree into the the GH and measured the snow while I was out its 6in and 9 to 10 in drifts and still falling. Won't be making a snow man though.

Comment

• Good Morning All
                      ​​​​​Happy Friday Same here Bren, but sunny now so seems to be thawing. More snow forecast! Have a good day All
                      Last edited by Florence Fennel; 10-03-2023, 10:25 AM.
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.
                        We have a light covering of snow but the sun is shining now so no doubt it will disappear soon.
                        Bren, you can definitely say you are snowed in, it looks so pretty.

We are off to the airport shortly so, scratch you on the other side.
                        Have a good day all and stay warm.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Happy travels, Bramble. Bit blowy in Spain today if you're coming this way. Weather forecast is for very warm for the next few days down south too. Hope you have a lovely time, wherever you're going.

Comment

• Well I changed the coffee bun recipe a bit more because I didn't have any demerera sugar either. I used soft brown. They're okay but not awesome.

The sun is shining now and the snow is starting to melt in places.

Enjoy your holiday, Bramble.

Comment

• Afternoon

Forgot to say earlier enjoy your holiday Bramble.

I’m baking a sourdough loaf and some apple/sultana/cinnamon scones while the ovens on.

Comment

• Good evening I have been quite busy the past couple of days, with the weather being so good, though we did get some snow overnight, last night, but when I got up this morning it was clear blue skies, there are still some patches of snow on the ground, I have been sawing up some logs that I have stored, in between sowing seeds in the greenhouse, which actually reached 34c with the sunshine, I have also sown some onion seeds outside under a sun tunnel, which I hope will keep the soil warm enough for the seeds to germinate, though this is more a trial than anything else.
                                And what do I get when I came on tonight, pigeons being very friendly with one another and reminiscences of cakes and buns along with longing things you couldn't get (sounds too close to home, that🙄). Enjoy your weekend and keep warm and safe and remember to smile. Goodnight
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X