Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop the violin ref was my feeling sorry for myself,not playing one,heaven forbid,even local cats would complain
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Morning all. Special hello and a big cyber hug to you, LD.

Lots of hazy cloud here at the moment. Night time temps dropping. Should be well below zero in a couple of days by the look of the forecasts. And there was me looking at the pepper plants wondering if they might make it through winter this year, which so far has been much, much warmer at night than usual. Still not sure what to do about them though. They've even got burgeoning fruit on them. There's no room indoors for them whatsoever. What about if I pruned them to, say, 6 inches or so and gave them a multilayer of fleece? How soon could I expect to see signs of life next spring, assuming they do make it through?

Plenty to do today, so better step on it. I'm pleased to report that there was quite a gathering of smiles for the off this morning. Unless they split up, you should see quite a flock of them.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

Heavy rain again hopefully it will stop later.

Snoop i've only ever over wintered peppers on bedroom windowsills those I'd left in the GH died. I suggest asking advice in 'Vegging out' someone there will have the answers.
        Enjoy your day

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all.

It was freezing when I went to bed last night. I awoke at 4am and it was starting to defrost. By 8am driving rain on the bedroom window woke me up. It is utterly miserable here. Hibernation until Spring sounds quite appealing.

Nicos I hope you actually went "Darn Sarf" yesterday. It's not fit for man nor beast here today.

LD I'm glad the violin is back in it's case....as you say give the cats a chance.

Snoop I hope you manage to do something with your peppers.

Comment

• Good morning,at the mo we got a bit of sun shinny,but chilly,we have been so spoilt by the warmer times,no idea about your peppers,only to try and see what happens,if it is just 1 plant,i still have a tromba plant growing in the poly,with at least 2 fruits growing,i also dug a sweet potato plant tother day,athough not fully developed,i did get a 1,enough for me,earlier this year i managed to get a shop one to sprout,but too late to plant out,so i will be trying my luck again in the new year,they are in the poly,i remember something on here in past years about a candle under a pot at night,to help keep the chill down,maybe a smaller poly in the poly as well,just for them peppers,look up on google,the smiles have stopped over and now waved them of,stay safe everyone and remember to Bgood2yourselves,have a lovely day
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Morning, it’s been blowing a hoolie and pouring rain since the middle of the night. It woke me up but I rolled over and went back to sleep. Was woken by OH saying, oh heck it’s 10 o’clock! We’d both slept through, couldn’t believe it. We are always awake early.
              Well today will definitely be an indoor day so domestics it is. Enjoy your day folks, whatever the weather. x
              sigpic

Comment

• Good morning all,
                The sun is shining g and the sky is blue, I am off out for a walk before the weather changes its mind,

Snoop, the smiles came by here earlier this morning.
                Regarding ovedwintsfing your peppers, I think they will struggle to survive overwinter.
                I have a few in the greenhouse and have pruned them down and they are sprouting well,
                I will fleece them at night over the winter

Lotty, it's hard to stay upbeat at this time of year.
                Glad to hear about your parth, should've fun,

Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Just reading back some posts. Lottie hope you get that spring in your step back soon!
                  Snoop, after consulting Dr.Google, I think it’s my rib muscles I’ve pulled too. Once I get going it’s not so bad but certain ways I turn it sit…ouch.
                  Sorry to see rary leave for a while, hope all is well.
                  Hope you’re enjoying your holiday Nicos.
                  Last edited by Jay22; 23-11-2022, 10:45 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Well, I'm feeling quite pleased with myself as I do on the rare occasions when I find an easy way of doing something.

I was trying to think where would have the lightbulbs that I need at a reasonable price. They are not rare but not bog standard either. I didn't fancy trekking around a big supermarket or DIY shop. I would have popped down to Argos once upon a time, but the Argos near me closed and the nearest now has no free parking and is in the city centre.

Lightbulb moment!💡 I've ordered online at Argos and can pick them up for free after 5pm at my Sainsburys local (less than a mile away with parking).

Even better the rain has stopped and the sun is trying to poke it's head out.

Comment

• Oh dear back again. Argos have let me down. They evidently don't have what I need and are refunding the money (b******s). They better!!!! They don't exactly inspire me to order anything ever again from them. Supposedly, upon further googling, I can find the bulbs in two different stores where I don't have to park in the town centre and pay either parking or delivery.

Yes! We are "tight" here in Yorkshire. On a lighter note a "friend" of my husband had the nickname "Jaffa". Why? Evidently because he didn't like sharing and could peel an orange while it was in his pocket.
                      Last edited by greenishfing; 23-11-2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Morning, have been wide awake for the last few hours so thought I’d come and say an early good morning. Dark still, contemplating whether to get up or not. If I go to sleep now it will be mid morning before I get up!! I’m turning into a moaning insomniac!!
                        Nothing on the cards for today other than our daily walk. Got caught in the showers yesterday but managed to shelter under the trees.
                        Anyhoo I’m rambling now so will sign off. Catch you all later. Enjoy your day. x
                        sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.
                          Grory hop this morning, and a trip to the recycling with a sackful of grape hyacinth bulbs I dug out of the flower bed. Already I can see more coming up that I've missed. I must remember next spring to remove all the flowers before they even think of going to seed.

Half the mushroom made a nice lunch of mushrooms on toast, and the rest has been turned into soup. Wonderful flavour. I hadn't seen one of these platers for many years, the sort my grandpa called horse mushrooms.
                          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Another moaning insomniac here. I just could not get to sleep despite the fact I was warm and cosy. Tired this morning but I don't want to sleep all day or I'll be even less likely to sleep tonight.

It isn't raining yet but the local weatherman said this afternoon would be pretty horrible.

I shall try again today to get light bulbs. I remember the days when the only option was 40, 60, 100 or 150 watts ....bayonet fitting only.

About 30 years ago I saw a wonderful chandelier type light fitting, very OTT, still boxed, at a car boot sale and sent Mr GF to haggle for it. He bought it very cheaply for me but it was only when I got home that I found it took little continental type screw in bulbs. They were not easy to get hold of back then.

If I can convince Mr GF maybe a care home visit later........ I seem to be losing my powers of persuasion these days. The last time we went he stayed in the car and read his newspaper.

More coffee required now.

Comment

• Morning all.

Well I am bright and bushy-tailed this morning. Had the most absolutely marvellous sleep (apologies to those who didn't). New down quilt and amazing down pillow... The bedroom was distinctly chilly (by modern standards) but I was nice and cosy. And more to the point, my feet weren't weighed down and uncomfortable. I got up in the night for a pee - as per - but didn't even dither to put another log on the fire. Straight back to bed and out like a light again. Even Mr Snoop managed to stay in bed all night.

Got plenty to do today to make the most of this wide-awakeness. Need to find a bit of time for the garden as well, though. So better step on it.

The smiles were in two minds this morning about heading off. They were thinking of hopping into our bed and trying out the new quilt too but between me and Frankie, we managed to shoo them out. Hope they find you on good form. LD, I think they were talking about a piano recital round at yours...

Good luck at the care home, GF. Whenever I went to visit my dad in hospital with my mum, she would take refuge in the coffee shop. Can be a distressing time.

Have a great day, everyone.
                              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 24-11-2022, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Morning

A good nights sleep here as well, our borrowed dog must have got used to the milk man's early morning call he didn't bark, oddly that's been the only time he has done while here been here.
                                Day started with a Dog walk then Grory hop, not many in the supermarket for some reason so a quick in and out. My sort of shopping.

Mothhawks homemade soups the best.

Leaf raking next not sure after that, but its coffee time just now.

Enjoy your day

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X