Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like you've got plenty on your plate to be getting on with, nick the grief. I'm longing for retirement, but looks like early isn't going to happen. So, I'll just go on a self-declared go-slow (I'm self-employed).

Why would you get rid of a greenhouse? I'd love one. Two would seem a tremendous luxury. Better even than two food mixers and definitely better than concrete mixers.

Comment

• Morning

Not a good a weekend here MrPots yesterday tested positive for Covid, no idea were he picked it up from with the hot weather we've been staying at home.

NtG taking of mixers MrPots has a cement mixer its been really handy over the years for us and our friends, it must be 40 years old and still going strong.

Enjoy your weekend especially now its a bit cooler.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Good to see you NTG

Sorry to hear about your OH Bren - hope it’s not too bad for him 
and you!

*hands up as another cement mixer owner
        If OH just needs a bucket or two of cement he mixes it in a large bucket - he uses his drill with an attachment which looks like a spiral equivalent of a cake/ dough hook/mixer
        It’s actually very handy as it really takes up no room at all.

No idea what I’m doing today. Too much to choose from At least it’s cooler. Dull and cooler.

Enjoy your weekend peeps
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning all.
          It's raining here at the moment.
          No plans for the day but st some stage I need to go to the floritvto get some flowers for my mothers grave.
          It is her anniversary tomorrow,

Bren, sorryvto her your Mr is down with covid.
          I hope he gets well soon.

Enjoy the day especially those who have the good weather.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon all.

Hope Mr Pots makes a speedy recovery, Bren. Hope you're OK too.

Spotted your news over on the what makes you happy thread, Bramble. Are you able to go and visit?

Weatherwise, it's sunny here but I don't think that would classify as good, as we're back to heatwave conditions. Should be cooler middle to end of this coming week. So at least it's only a short spell this time.

Done the watering. The mole is making serious inroads into my leeks, so I decided to at least disturb the tunnels. I think they must be a bit further down than I managed to dig, as I didn't want to do any further damage to the leeks. But what I did discover is that the seep hose works even better than I realised. There's next to no evidence of water on the surface - just a wet line under the hose - but the soil below is perfectly moist to at least a spade's depth. Definitely an incentive to get at least one more bed ready for overwintering carrots. Though doubtless the mole(s) will just head over to them too.

The dogs got in my veg patch up by the house in the night. I picked three melons yesterday and they could obviously smell the others that are nearing readiness. But they clearly got distracted by the red pepper plants. Two uprooted and lots of peppers half eaten. Clearly the gate needs yet more reinforcement. The smiles didn't spot the damage before setting off, fortunately. I wasn't best pleased but it's pointless telling the dogs off hours after the crime. Best to take more preventive measures.

Lots more paid work to clear this weekend but mid-week I should be back to a normal routine. Just in time for slightly cooler weather so perfect for a bit of gardening.

Hope you all have a lovely rest of the day.

Comment

• Afternoon.

Thanks for the well wishes MrP's asleep just now and up to yet I have no symptoms fingers crossed it stays like that.

Snoop those mole sound a pain and from what I've heard there's little you can do to deter them

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                Sounds like you've got plenty on your plate to be getting on with, nick the grief. I'm longing for retirement, but looks like early isn't going to happen. So, I'll just go on a self-declared go-slow (I'm self-employed).

Why would you get rid of a greenhouse? I'd love one. Two would seem a tremendous luxury. Better even than two food mixers and definitely better than concrete mixers.
                I've got a 12 x 8 that sits on a dwarf wall so the sives are about 6ft 6" and an 8x6 an I hardly use the 8 x6 and if I keep the allotment on I may put a polytunnel down there so either way I don't need it now I don't grow all the Chrysanths and Dahlia's like I used too. the 12 x 8 is more than enough for my needs.

Yes I was lucky that the company I worked for was going thru a re-organisation (i.e. job cuts) so I took the opportunity to jump ship and now I just have to do what Mrs G says and no damn meetings

If I decide to get rid of the small one I'll let you know Snoop you're just over the border from me
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

• Good night all.
                  It was a shower but very humid day.
                  Spent time in the garden deadheading the sweetpeas and dahlias.
                  Cant believe how quick they are going over.

Snoop, yes, I got a quick visit (masked and protective clothing) with my sister.
                  She has come so far but still a way to go.

Have a peaceful night all and hope Mr Pots feels better tomorrow.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all;D

Rubbish night’s sleep - just stuff going round and round in my head so I got up around 3am and did a couple of hours ironing
                    Well, I clambered back into bed afterwards expecting to crash out and then have a bit of a lie in , but nope
just couldn’t get back to sleep
                    Seeing that nothing else has to be done today we’ve decided to head off in the camper for the day.
                    We think we know a quiet fishing spot
.but it’s Sunday, and its summer holidays , so I doubt it’ll be very quiet
If not, there are plenty of small lanes we can just pull off in the middle of nowhere.

Bren - his is your OH doing?
.fingers crossed you are ok. Have you worked out where he might have caught it from?

So glad you have finally seen your sister bramble. It must have been so uplifting for her after all she’s been through poor lass.

I best shake a leg and grab a few things for the camper
                    Enjoy your day peeps!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

I'm glad things are looking up Bramble.

Bren, I hope Mr Potts is okay ...and hasn't given it to you.

Nicos I hope that you have a nice day out....it sounds as if you might fall asleep at some point.

I think it's time to get up....coffee is calling out to me.

Comment

• Morning all.

The smiles came back quite late last night and went to bed in a really good mood after seeing the veg patch tour de force we had for supper last night. Amazing salad, three different types of toms and lovely lettuce, loads of basil dressing and another cob of sweetcorn. I wasn't convinced earlier in the season, and I don't have two good cobs per plant. But the weather conditions have been terrible (very cold early on, huge downpours just as the males were pollinating the ladies, plus the desiccating heat and wind). The cobs I do have are really good. It's Damaun, not as tender as Lark and need to be cooked for longer. But not F1 so saveable seeds if I can work out how to do it. Not expensive and have been amazingly quick to harvest (sown in modules on 14 April). Might work well in the UK given that our spring and early summer were so rubbish.

Done the watering, had a cup of tea and a cup of iced coffee. Time to settle down to work now. The smiles came and kept me company while watering and left in a good mood while I was admiring the aubergines. Going to have to work out something for supper with them tonight that isn't a huge amount of work. Imam bayildi?

Glad you got to see your sister, Bramble. Must have been wonderful for the both of you.

Hope you're doing OK, Bren, and that Mr Pots is doing well. Have a nice day, Nicos. Are you going to try baking with your Omnia while out?

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

Bramble its good you got to see your sister, hopefully these visits will give her a boost xx

Enjoy your outing Nicos sounds like there'll be plenty of places to pull over and enjoy your tea and cake.

Thanks everyone MrP's improving and up to yet I've no symptoms, hope it stays that way but there's only so much you can do when you share a house.

Enjoy your day.

Snoop you nipped in while I was making tea, congrats on your sweetcorn homegrown tastes the best.
                          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 24-07-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Good morning all and thank you for your kind words about my sister.
                            Yes, it was wonderful to see her and the fact she is home in her own house is a real boost for her.
                            The physiotherapist and speech therapist are coming to a couple of times a wee

Bren, glad to hear Mr Pots is no worse and hopefully you will be lucky and not catch it,

Nicos, I admire you for ironing during you're sleepless night, I would probably have read a book,l

Snoop, the smiles have been here quite a while, I think they like the cooler conditions.

Have a good day all,

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

Up early to get some work done. Will be off out to water shortly. The smiles set off a few moments ago after admiring a hoopoe in one of our almond trees. There used to be lots of hoopoes about, but they're a relatively rare sight these days. They like very exposed spots and the population was decimated by a truly atrocious hailstorm a few years back. Taking them a long time to recover. Anyway, a lovely sight which set the smiles chattering. Might actually be the first time they've seen one. It flew off south and the smiles were in two minds as to whether to follow it, but in the end opted for northwards. I think you're right about them appreciating the cooler conditions, bramble. We had a high yesterday of 42.3ÂșC in the shade yesterday. Looks like today will be about the same. Temperatures start to drop in a couple of days, by the look of it. Thunder and even rain currently forecast for Friday. But as per usual, I'll believe it when I see it.

Masses to do today, so better get on with it. Wednesday is now looking like the day I finally get over this hump.

Have a great day, everyone. Thoughts and hugs to everyone as feels the need.

Comment

• Morning

Cooler here with bits of rain gardens looking good for it.

No plans just hanging around the house mostly reading then popping out between showers into the garden.

enjoy your day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X