Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weather here is atrocious, non stop pouring rain since before I woke up. I have to go to the allotment soon as the greenhouses will need water and I need some salad stuff: lettuce, rocket, radish, tomato and cucumber and probably some courgettes. Then I've booked a care home visit as I want to check on a relative who has had another bad fall (bad enough for a trip to A & E).
    My husband started going through boxes of ancient photographs this morning. So many people and places we'd almost forgotten. I wish we'd written names and places on the back while we could remember. One of these rainy days I must get my dad's old cine films out.... mostly from the 50s and 60s. There is a big box full somewhere and an ancient projector.

Comment

• This has amazed me. We applied online on the afternoon of the 27th to renew my husband's driving licence. Today, the 30th, it arrived in the post.
      The rain also actually stopped for half an hour while I went to the allotment.
      I also found a lottery ticket in the bottom of my handbag and won a free lucky dip and £5.

Comment

• Just back from an 11 mile cycle ride, now covered in those thunder bugs as the farmers are cutting the autumn sown barley, what is unusual is that the oil seed rape hasn't been cut first, it usually is.

Comment

• Just back from collecting a trailer load of bagged horse muck and lifting the heavy bags out at the lotty in the rain. Saw a muntjac on site, no doubt having a field day with all the available food and no one about to disturb it..
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Afternoon,snoop that cake sounds nice,but i am a naughty person,good luck with the water feature Nicos,and me to gone to specsavers here,i have lots of things within walking distance,or a very short car ride for heavier things,found wilko's they do all the usual spring stuff for the garden,i did ask,they must have thought me nuts,i now need to learn how to go out and investigate,son is decorating my sewing room now,such a lot has been done in the last 6 weeks,each room is being bottomed and brought back to life as is now,have a lovely evening everyone
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Good evening all.
              We have had heavy showers throughout the day.
              Its 60 years today since we met so we had a lovely lunch to celebrate.

Christmas Nicos,,,, not just yet please.
              I think our Christmas this year will be eclipsed by my sons wedding a few weeks later in January.
              Something to look forward to through these pandemic times.

Lottie, great to hear how well everything is working out for you.

Snoop, dont shorten your posts, they're always so interesting.
              Have a good evening all.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning All

It's not raining
                Snoop - your posts aren't too long and they're always an interesting read

Happy Saturdays - kettle's on..
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                  Very still morning here - and very quiet. It feels more like a Sunday morning for some reason.

Gf…..we found our old slide projector the other day whilst sorting out the barn…I think we too will be going through old slides this winter. We do have my in-laws cine films too, which apparently can go onto DVD, so we should do that before they become too fragile to play.

Right…time for a brew…back in a sec!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• The rain has stopped at long last. It's very grey out but at least I don't need the lights on this morning and I'm not pondering about putting the central heating on.
                    Care home visit yesterday was awful as the relative now looks as if she's gone several rounds in the boxing ring, black eye and cut lip. The sad thing is that she can't even remember falling or going to the hospital.
                    Wow! The sun just peeped out for a few seconds.I think the allotment will need a lot more to dry out.

Comment

• Morning, the gardens rather soggy after yesterdays rains but everything looks and feels fresh so plenty of beans, peas and raspberries to pick.

Enjoy your day.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• That’s cos we’ve now got your rain gf

Really sorry to hear about your relative.
                        My MIL ( fiercely independent and in her 90’s) was very similar and ended up overnight in hospital on many occasions after a bad fall.
                        Sometimes it’s made worse by medication doses not being tweaked quite right.
                        The only upside used to be she would be entitled to free care for a few weeks which meant she was visited several times a day so any other issues had a chance to be seen and addressed by professionals
                        On one occasion we found her after a few hours on the floor fully conscious but she’d forgotten she had her emergency call button around her neck to call for help.
                        Its all very sad for everyone concerned.
                        I hope your relative recovers quickly.

I’m not sure yet what my plans are for today - I’d like to get on with more weeding and tidying up and cutting back. It really makes a massive difference doesn’t it?
                        OH cleared a large area yesterday next to the patio and it’s looking great. Perhaps , if it continues to rain, I’ll draw up more plans and do final measurements for how many metres of planks and support joists etc we need to order.
                        Its all very exciting, especially now I have my Olympic swimming pool of a water feature

Last edited by Nicos; 31-07-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Good morning all.
                          It's a dry if dull morning here after yesterday's heavy showers.
                          Off to play pitch and putt shortly.
                          Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for making me feel better, guys.

Really sorry to hear about your relative, GF. My mum's time in hospital after her last fall at home was probably worse for her than the fall itself in retrospect. I know they did their best for her, but just spending all that time in bed meant she lost what little ability to walk she still had. Her leg muscles were totally wasted by the time they discharged her.

You thinking of building a diving board, Nicos? Or a canal for canoeing?

Not much excitement here. Just as well, I suspect. Cloudy at the moment, rain due later. Having a bit of a break after walking the dogs and doing all the watering before heading back out to sow some carrot seeds and tie up the tomatoes. Was thinking of sowing yet another round of French beans, see if I have more luck this time, but we're due to have more chilly nights early next week (down to around 6 or 7 ºC), so will wait till they're over. Will start some more herb and kohl rabi seeds off in modules. Guess I could do French beans in modules too, keep them indoors overnight, give them a bit of a head start.

Not as many bees on the sweet corn this morning. They've moved over to the squash plants, which are covered in flowers. All male. Grrr, grrr and double grrr.

Frankie is all of a sudden starting to grow up. Keeps his claws in when pouncing out and biffing us. The biting is a lot gentler too.

Mr Snoop has just brought me a cup of tea and a slice of toast, so I'd better turn my attention to that. The barley loaf (goodness knows why I call it that, there's less barley flour in it than any of the others) makes fantastic toast.

So, smiles galore on the loose, dodging the huge flock of bee eaters out there at the moment. Hope they get through to you. Have a good day, everyone.

Comment

• We start our french beans off in modules otherwise the voles pull up their chairs and have a picnic in the potager

Comment

• Afternoon all,sorry about your relative GF,is no fun getting older i assure you,Snoop i love a long post,carry on,took myself to the local indoor market this morning,came back with a shopping trolly,6 wheels,is good to have somat to hold onto and put things in out the way,the double front wheels makes it swivel easier to turn,did have a moment getting it into the car,get it home,and discovers,that,if i empt it of shopping bags,it will fold flat,so thats good,got some netting for a window,lady said would i like a bag to put it in,no thank you said i,i have got some small home made bags left,so i used 1,i now have an idea when my sewing room is done,use some no longer needed sheets ext,to make several bags without handles,these can be used instead of plastic bags for anything,vegies or clothes,can be washed and reused,lady said what a lovely little bag,so my brain has turned a few coggs,just a nice little poject to get me back in the swing again,also saw some more garden planters in pound land,they hold 3 things and sit on top of each other for a tower,i had some from before,not got used,so have got another 12,am thinking strawberries,lettuce,even a few spring onions and radish for next year,might get some more,they only £1 each,and will last a long while,enjoy rest of your day,off now to see what i fancy for me tea ,thanks for some smiles snoop,they are finding their way about,and landing.
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X