Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I awoke to the smell of fresh bread this morning as I'd set the breadmaker on the timer. A great start to the day.
    Glorious sunshine here at the moment. Yesterday at the allotment my husband was moaning that he was too hot and went to hide in the shade with his newspaper. I think I'll drag his shorts out of the hibernation pile today for him, unless that's tempting fate. I'm still hopeful a few figs might ripen if the weather stays warm and I've spotted another squash hiding under the butternut squash plants. I thought I wasn't going to get any this year so the three I've now spotted are a bonus. I think I'll change the bed and get the washer going next. Sunshine is a great motivator for me.

Comment

• Morning, I awoke to a giant house spider sitting in the middle of the bedroom floor! I hate spider season!!
      Its a lot cooler, darker and wetter this morning so went back to bed for a bit…I know bad!
      Anyhoo, hope you all have a lovely day… your bread sounds lovely GF.
      sigpic

Comment

• Midmorning here and it's a glorious day.
        Just back from shopping and now off to the beach.
        The smiles arrived here earlier Snoop.
        Your day out sounds lovely Nicos.
        Have a good day all..

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Just got back from collecting the missing prescription and accidentally bought a boot full of things from 2 discount stores

Mostly food but there were quite a few English foods there for a change.
          Who can resist jacobs cream crackers, Carr’s water biscuits, custard cream biscuits, French’s mustard, Cadbury’s chocolate biscuits…that sort of thing when you’ve not had them for a year or more? Espesh as they were cheaper than uk prices because they were so near to their sell by dates.

Another mega supermarket had just filled the meat and dairy discount section ( think yellow stickers) - a lot of it was organic too! …Glad we still have room in our freezer!

We have a lot more spiders in the house too Jay….along with mice.
          Hibou has munched her way through so many spiders that she’s given up on them now.

Snoop - you can enter veg still on the plant…everything is so late this year that we thought it would still encourage entries like tomatoes and chillies too , even if they’re not ready to pick!

We (read that as ME as I was the one driving) drove off this morning forgetting the petrol can for the lawnmowers so it looks like another outing is in order.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
            Morning, I awoke to a giant house spider sitting in the middle of the bedroom floor! I hate spider season!!
            I hate house spiders too, but since a cellar spider or two has moved in (they're the ones with tiny bodies and long legs), I haven't seen a single big black house spider. The cellar spiders have eaten them. They eat all the other pests - wood lice, spiders, silverfish, flies, moths, and they are quite unobtrusive, preferring to hang upside down quietly in a corner near the ceiling. So I consider my two as pets now

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• We have quite a few of those too MH.
              One in particular starts doing a spinning action if we get too close to it.
              OH keeps saying he’ll video it and play it back on slow motion to see exactly what it does.
              Very strange!

Is it flirting with me / my OH….or wanting to eat us?
              Last edited by Nicos; 17-09-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• We have cellar spider's now too, it's a recent thing never had them before. They were supposed to be associated with damp places (hence the name) but seem to have moved into the whole area irrespective of whether it's damp or not.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• No spiders here but we are aware of mosquitoes so have plugins in all the rooms.
                  Hate the big black spiders.
                  My next doorneighbour is absolutely terrified of them and hoovers them up.
                  She puts a cork on the nossel of the Hoover in case they escape.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• The thought of the cork in the Hoover nozzle is making me smile. In Summer I never clean any cobwebs away as I far prefer spiders to flies and midges although I have rescued a bee from a web. I used to have a massive spider that ran around the lounge, just below ceiling height. I even rescue spiders that get trapped in the bath.
                    Just had a glass of ginger milk. It was bog standard milk until I dropped a ginger biscuit into it by accident. Not to be recommended.

Comment

• Morning

We have Cellar spiders I don't mind them but I hate their webs they produce them really fast, i went up stairs for a shower on the way back down a web had been built across the stairs. at face level.

Greenishfing you need a spider ladder for the bath they do work well we've had one for ages.

Enjoy your day
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

I'm with you, Bren. Don't like the webs at all. There was one over the bed the other day... Absolutely had to get rid of it in case it fell on me in the night.
                        What does your neighbour do when she needs to empty the hoover, Bramble? There could be loads of them in there...

Very bright here this morning. Definitely need to water today. I only did the 'delicates' yesterday (toms, peppers, melons, squash, those kinds of things). So it'll be a long session today.

Not much other news. Had a nice supper out yesterday. Back to the routine today, as friend up the valley leaving. We do eat and especially drink a lot more when friends are here. Time to think about putting less food in and more effort out. I'm not going to call it a four-letter word beginning with d and ending with t with two vowels in between.

Have a great day, everyone. The smiles were chased around by Frankie and are glad to be on their way in your direction.
                        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 18-09-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Morning all

Dog to walk then keys to get cut for my Daughters new front door lock.

This afternoon/evening I am going to a pub for a 'Reveal' party. We didn't have these in my younger days but it will be interesting to find out whether I am going to be Grandad to another boy or girl? This will be my 11th Grandchild methinks? Such a shame Helen my dearly departed wife couldn't be here as she loved the Grandbairns.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I had never heard of a spider ladder. If I spot one stuck in the bath and I don't need to use it urgently I generally just grab something out of the wash basket and dangle it over the side and let it climb out in it's own time. If I 'm in a hurry I'll bunch something up and scoop it up.
                            The weather looks really good again here. I picked some more blackberries yesterday even though I wasn't going to, and some raspberries but there's not quite enough to make jelly so then I had the bright idea of adding some black grapes to the jelly. When I've added the sugar later and boiled it up I'll give you my verdict. I once had a go at grape jelly, on it's own a few years ago and it ended up the same consistency as boot polish and I think the taste was probably similar. My husband has just looked up from yesterday's newspaper to tell me it's 100 days until a certain "festive" day. Time flies when you're having fun!

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

So far it’s looking good outside but there is rain forecast later.
                              We are sort of near the top of a hill/ ridge and the rain often passes either side of us following the valley and flatter ground….but we always seem to get hit by the frosts when other areas don’t.
                              Microclimates are really quite interesting aren’t they?
                              Next door are completely sheltered by our longhouse and even though they are on the north aspect of our house get a longer growing season!

No idea what I’m doing today - I thought it was Friday morning when I woke up , so I’m still trying to get my head around that I’ve lost a day

Enjoy your reveal party Snadge - I’ve never been to one either!

Comment

• Mornin gf…you snuck in there then I wasn’t looking!
                                100 days eh?….yipppppeeeee - I really do love Xmas

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X