Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the end of Christmas dinner it easily feeds 6 and usually but not always leftovers.

Comment

• That looks a good recipe gf...thanks -I"™ve saved it for next year!

The Xmas cake is made

Have to say that although it smells spot on , it looks very anaemic !!!!! I think that"™s because I only had sultanas and apricots instead of the dark raisins and currants.
      And I couldn"™t find my granny"™s old tin to bake it in so I had to go for a wider , shallower baking tin

Ha!....but it smells spot on - so thanks GF....just looking forward to adding more Calva each week.

Very chuffed to be honest! Thanks for your help xx
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Congrats on the cake, Nicos. Sounds like it's going to be a good one.

Perishing cold here. Very hard frost on the ground. Wispy hazy clouds in the sky, but not enough to prevent the solar panels from doing their job. Plus, thank goodness the range is back in the kitchen.

On the cards today... A bit of work and tidy up the basement. Looks like we've permanently got rid of the rats. What a relief!

Now, I have a question that doesn't really warrant a thread. I've got a squash I picked in September 2018 (Crown Prince type). What do you reckon to its eating qualities? It has just started to go mouldy underneath, but it's only superficial. Is it worth spending the time cooking it (roasted for freezing for soup and risottos) or is it probably pointless as it'll be tasteless?

Right, have a good day everyone. Catch you all later.

Comment

• Congrats on the cake Nicos. I hope it tastes as good as it smells. It's a good job there's no such thing as "smelly telly" (or text, or e-mail). If there was I'd spend my days drooling. Snoop I'm glad to hear you have got rid of your lodgers. The squash, I'd just cut a small piece off and cook while I was cooking something else and sample. You've done well to store it for 2 years. The sun is shining here so hopefully a trip to the allotment is on the cards.

Comment

• Morning, cold overnight and it is now clear blue skies, we are allowed to travel local, so may pop out in a bit, porridge first with honey, take care all and stay safe.

Comment

• Thanks, GF. In the end, I tried a bit on the dogs (they love squash and wolfed it down) then I tried a tiny bit myself. Texture good, colour lovely, taste better than butternut when raw. So, half in the oven roasting as I write. Other half tomorrow.
              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 21-11-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Good Morning All It's one of those days when you don't know whether to put the washing out or not. All this talk of cake makes me yearn for it, but there's only me that likes it so hardly worth the effort. Have a good day All
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• ^FF, I've got into freezing homemade cakes, biscuits, flapjacks, etc. They freeze extremely well. It was Nicos that told me this. Stops us from eating a whole cake all at once. But might suit you too.

Comment

• I hadn't thought of that Snoop, don't know why because I freeze loads of stuff to feed others! Thank for

Comment

• Haven"™t been on a lot recently although I have been looking in from time to time. I didn"™t want to pass on my recent bad luck as I think we need cheering up.

Anyways, my sympathies Nicos.

I ordered 7 rose bushes some time ago. I knew they weren"™t due for delivery until this month but I did hope it would be earlier than yesterday, whilst the weather was a bit warmer. They arrived in a tiny little box that I thought was perhaps big enough for one bush, but it contained all of them. They look healthy enough. I"™ll heel them in tomorrow.

Since no one else has mentioned it, yet, are we opening the Gardeners Rest this year or is it in lockdown? Masks at the ready. We"™ll need them anyways as I suspect it hasn"™t been cleaned since the last festivities.

Note, I avoided the "œC" word.
                      Last edited by JanieB; 21-11-2020, 03:27 PM.
                      "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                      Oxfordshire

Comment

• Weird sort of day here. Every time I have started doing something outdoors it has started to rain. I went out at one point to attempt to empty and clean the interior of the shed extension (estate car) partly because it is a disgusting mess full of all kinds of rubbish and a rotavator and strimmer and also as I was hopefull I might find another pudding basin lurking somewhere in there. It's now half done and no pudding basin. I know that I have seen one in a completely inappropriate place, but where? Then I was going to blitz some bread to make breadcrumbs but somebody had had a toast binge this morning so I've put the breadmaker on. I hope your luck changes soon Janie!
                        Last edited by greenishfing; 21-11-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Evening its not been a bad day weather wise sunny with a bit of drizzle. I've been out and about most of the day so no gardening today will be in there tomorrow raking up leaves and seeing what I can harvest for dinner.
                          Enjoy your evening.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

My but it was a cold night last night. Really hard frost this morning. No idea of the temperature but it's bright now out there and showing no sign of thawing. Very pretty. And just what I wanted.

Another busy day ahead. Still haven't roasted the chestnuts and that needs doing before they start to go mouldy. Don't have a special chestnut pan but I can't see why the top of the range itself or the oven wouldn't do. If you've got any advice, I'd be glad to receive it.

Hope things improve for you, Janie. Hope Hollie is doing OK.

So, on with the day. Have a good one all. Catch you later.

Comment

• Good Morning Snoop and All Grey here. Pan's on. Have a lovely Sunday

Comment

• Morning

Enjoy your breakfast Flo mine was bacon, eggs and roasted toms on a sourdough oatcake a perfect start to the day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X