No announcement yet.

Spoonerisms / Malapropisms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snails are still snazzles in our house (my little sister to thank for that). I used to describe big things as being fuge (feeyuuuge).
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Just thought of another, and it was REALLY embarrassing when I'd said it! I'd forgotten to do something and called myself a dildo-day-dream instead of dilly-day-dream oooooooooops!!
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Mr HF's,

Don't let the bug beds bite! love it, love him

Comment

Polos are always OlOPS in our house.

We always call dinosaurs 'daisywoos' as my son couldn't say it properly whe he was littler!

janeyo

Comment

hedgepigs and igwigs spring to mind, i have called them that since i was a child, and my kids caught it too .
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

At work the "weekly sheets" are called sheetly weeks. My daughter got nighty and dressing gown mixed and are now "nighting-gowns" - she's now 40 but it's stuck in the family.
              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
              Oxfordshire

Comment

Thrilled daughter (see my other thread) and 2 grandchildren have just left. I asked Emily (14) what was the matter, Pheobe (9) said "Oh she's just hormental that's all" What a perfect word
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Went down town today and put my car in a Par Cark!!!
                  The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Still laughin at chuckin fickens!!
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Love reading this - brings back memories, some of them have become family favourites and are still used.
                      I'm in a reet mucking fuddle - best friend years ago
                      Lollychopter (helicopter)
                      Hodgepig (hedgehog)
                      Flutterby (in common with lots of you - sounds much nicer except for cabbage whites)
                      Heffalump (elephant)
                      Igglywig (earwig)
                      Tattypillow (caterpillar)
                      Bizzy (grandsonspeak for lemonade or cola - both forbidden as they send them hyper - should be fizzy which eldest daughter is often begged for in a very quiet voice so Mum doesn't hear!!!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                        Went down town today and put my car in a Par Cark!!!
                        When we lived in Cardiff..the car park in Welsh is parcio car ( was one of the few words I picked up!!)

Mockin biddy was another one -( but forgive me on the guessed spelling!!!)
                        = 'dirty pig' (????).....although the 'English' sounds really quite quaint!!!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I do the Par Cark too, Cloud - bit of a bugger as dealing with par carks is park of my job - have to concentrate hard when discussing!

Mum has a does 'bungalow' for 'allotment' - no, I don't know why either.

We had tons of 'family phrases' most of which I did not know where peculiar to my family, so I puzzled school friends for years.

We had 'under the gerbils' (which meant the cupboard in the spare bedroom) long after the gerbils had ceased to exist

Also, 'in the cow' was any correspondance in the letter rack - originally the letter rack was in the shape of a Jersey cow, brought back from my parents honeymoon - in Jersey. We had many successor letter racks, all know as 'the cow'.

The best family phrase is 'having a Fred time'. This is having a cup of tea, as in the Bernard Cribbins song, 'right said fred', which some of the more mature grapes will recall. I had no idea that this phrase was not in common usage outside my family thus potentially leaving me open for riducle at school.

Think on your with regard to your quirks and pecadillos, parents!

Comment

Goodness knows why, but I always seem to say beetroot instead of rhubarb- and vice versa!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm anoher one that uses a Par Cark!!
                              We will be going to the "plopment"soon~neither of ours could get their tongues around allotment so plopment has stuck.
                              The last word for D to master was octopus~I was really quite sad when she stopped calling them "hoppinahopI"
                              Not so much spoonerisms but I often have total mental blocks & come out with TOTALLY the wrong words for everyday objects!!re~calling windscreen wipers/washing line??I could blame having 2 kiddies but in honesty I think I did it before they were ever born also!!
                              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I have a very dear friend who knits baby clothes in "mutual" colours so that they will suit either sex. She also uses "masculine" tape to do up her parcels. We have all adopted these words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X