Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
    I suspect Bubblewrap is anything but innocent
    lol (sorry!) Text speak, yes I have been known to use it on more than one occasion (apologies.) It is part of our lives today though. Lots of people use it, children and adults. I haven't come across children using it in class to write though, and, I work with these children each day.
    Last edited by MrsC; 20-03-2008, 10:02 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

So, FYI, IMO I CBA with all this....

When I was part managing the launch of the Orange NL network roll out some years back we had a meeting. As you are all prolly (there we go again) aware, the managers in their clown outfits love to use acronyms. I suppose it gives them some lame sense of knowledge when in reality the managers I have known have been dimmer than a match in a cave.

I digress... The point being every other sentence (and this meeting felt like one) contained at least two sets of acronyms. At the long awaited end I, as TAS vendor support, was asked if there was any final input I would like to give... I replied,
      "One small point lads (this raised an eyebrow or two from the more officious present), NMFA please". I then sat down and waited for the blank expressions to materialise.

Didn't have to wait long...

My French gaffer Raphael leCerf then asked me (in a dodgy French accent), "Er, Marteen, wat ees zis NMFA pleeese? Ah avent ze foggiest ahdeea wat zees ees".
      "No More F**king Acronyms, Raphael my old duck," was my reply.

The French all burst into laughter, whereas my Dutch counterparts were... er, slightly less than impressed.
      Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
      Cut your engines, cool your wings,
      You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
        So, FYI, IMO I CBA with all this....
        Good effort Max!

Your story about acronyms reminded me of my uncle, who used to work for the Woolwich. He was a pretty senior regional manager, so probably used to getting a bit of respect from his colleagues, but shortly before he quit (go figure) a new person was appointed as his boss. This lady's first act once in power was to change her title to General Operations Director. My uncle, and the other regional managers, where henceforth to be called Business Unit Managers. Their PAs were all renamed Admin Support Services.... There were lots more, but I forget them. Talk about a power trip!
        Resistance is fertile

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots
          The RAF live by acronyms and they spill into our lives - I, for instance, am referred to as either OCH or SupCom, translations:
          OHC = Officer Commanding House
          SupCom = Supreme Commander

This is what Snowdrop's boys shout out to himself when I call - 'Flight, it's OHC on phone' ....now for some reason I prefer SupCom

I call Mrs B "The Minister for home affairs" now .I used to call her "Mummy House " when I was driving full time but threats of a frying pan nature convinced me it was time for a change.
          There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

usually older conventions like IMO (in my opinion)
            Surely it's just easier to say "I think" rather than have to abreviate a mouthful like that?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I suspect Bubblewrap is anything but innocent
              I don't know about that if you want to know ask Madderbat!
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X