• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personaly i belive text talk should be banned on all forums

i hate it and it is just lazy

regards

matt
    "The Rabbit is 'the meek who has inherited the earth' proof against the worst man can do to it, including germ warfare, shot, trap, net, ferret and dog. I swear that on the day after the holocaust a pair of grey ears will rise cautiously above the smoking ashes of our world"............ JH

Comment

Originally posted by scared55 View Post
      (I'm hoping someone, somewhere likes a smart @rse)

KK
      'I'm sure they've all got lovely bottoms' (Quote - Father Ted)
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by mattandflyte View Post
        personaly i belive text talk should be banned on all forums

i hate it and it is just lazy

regards

matt
        Could not agree more but one small point when using I meaning your self it should always be upper case as with I'll (I will) I'm(I am).
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots
          ... if I were to buy you a pint in the pub!
          Yes please - I'll have one!

Comment

Sorry if I have upset people no harm was intended & I think my last post was a little over the top.
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

I'm a older person who hasn't learnt how to be serious yet - this debate is a good one
              Moi aussi. People keep telling me we should grow up without growing old. My aim is to grow old without growing up - I'm still 17 on the inside!

KK

Comment

Originally posted by scared55 View Post
                Moi aussi.

KK
                That's French for 'I'm from Down Under!'
                (Flum displays the fact that a little learning is a dangerous thing! )
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

at the risk of getting my butt whooped - ROFL @ Flums
                  WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!

Comment

I couldn't care less if people get the odd spelling a bit wrong, the occaisional bit of dodgy puntuation or simple abreviations - it would be a shame if we all felt we needed to get posts proof read before sending. HOWEVER, now and then people go into proper text speak which is pretty much code and if you can't be understood by a high percentage of the readers then you're missing out on speaking to most of your potential audience.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

well

i have a mild learning difficulty and as you will see from my posts my spelling and puntuality is not at its best for a 29 year old man but i dont care what i do care about is when people use "text" talk or as i see it a dam code that i for one have no idea what it says and it anoys me so much so BW i did find your last post quite a well how do you say it Not funny..............

But as a adult i can see that it was not just a dig at me and everyone else that might not be totaly a english teacher like you

so if you are ok i will pm you with every post i intend to post so you can "proof it" for me so i dont offend anyone with the way i type

until now i did think that this site was "diffrent" that the other ones i had found

regards and best wishes

matt
                      "The Rabbit is 'the meek who has inherited the earth' proof against the worst man can do to it, including germ warfare, shot, trap, net, ferret and dog. I swear that on the day after the holocaust a pair of grey ears will rise cautiously above the smoking ashes of our world"............ JH

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        I couldn't care less if people get the odd spelling a bit wrong, the occaisional bit of dodgy puntuation or simple abreviations - it would be a shame if we all felt we needed to get posts proof read before sending. HOWEVER, now and then people go into proper text speak which is pretty much code and if you can't be understood by a high percentage of the readers then you're missing out on speaking to most of your potential audience.
                        This is what I wanted to say but said a lot more politely than I would have said it.
                        I know I make the odd spelling and punctuation mistake and I hope you can forgive me for it.99% of my edited posts are for spelling mistakes spotted after posting.
                        There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Exactly.
                          The whole point of language is to communicate. If your (mis)use of language means you aren't communicating properly - then what's the point? The odd typo isn't a problem, but when every other word is mis-spelled, that just becomes too hard to read.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by mattandflyte View Post
                            totaly a english teacher like you

so if you are ok i will pm you with every post i intend to post so you can "proof it" for me so i dont offend anyone with the way i type
                            Bubblewrap is innocent

Matt - You admit to having a problem with written English, but you are at least trying, which is great. But you should equally appreciate that your posts are sometimes somewhat difficult for others to read. Don't be offended...

(I'm a bit tired, so this might not come out the way I'm thinking it ...)
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-03-2008, 09:34 PM.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I am a stickler for good English, but I guess we can all appreciate that there is a difference between people who genuinely have trouble with their writing, and those who are just slap-dash or lazy. I'm sure none of us would want to see the back of someone like Matt, just because of his typos and unusual punctuation! Far better to just ask him to clarify occasionally.

Being a web forum the Grapevine is bound to see some abbreviated text. I use it myself sometimes - usually older conventions like IMO (in my opinion) or FYI (for your information). It's just not that easy to read when you're faced with ten lines of it!
                              Resistance is fertile

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                Bubblewrap is innocent
                                I suspect Bubblewrap is anything but innocent
                                Resistance is fertile

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...