This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JanieB View Post
    ...Lard is virtually tasteless and can be used in sweet recipes. I usually use half butter, half lard or white veg fat when making pastry.
    That's how I was taught to make pastry in Housecraft lessons at school in the 60's, the lard adds an extra crispness. Now I generally use all butter or half butter half coconut oil, which is flavourless and gives the same crispness.

I don't use vegetarian white fat because it is made from palm oil.
    Last edited by mothhawk; 30-06-2020, 02:23 PM.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

• ^Great info, thanks. Looks like not only will my biscuit repertoire be increasing but my pie crusts will be improving too.

I'll report back, Nicos...

Comment

• I must say that although my husband (age 90), and very fit for his age loves lard and dripping, I do try to keep him healthy and lots of olive and rapeseed oil is also sneaked into his diet. He is a great lover of James Martin though (and his love of butter). All I can say is that a bit of what he fancies obviously does him good. All the health professionals he sees just tell him to keep up with the allotments. I believe that lots of fresh fruit and veg is the secret to a good diet.

Comment

• ^Fresh fruit and veg and exercise. An allotment is a powerful thing in the right hands, gf.

Comment

• Love your attitude gf!

I've no chance...grew up in Cheshire -a brill dairy region
            Now living in Normandy -another massive dairy area!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• ^I can't begin to imagine life without yogurt and cheese...

Comment

• Good attitude GF .
                I like cheese snoop, maybe because I don't go for puddings though, I'm more a savoury fan.
                I think activity is important , whether allotment or walking etc. I have no desire to flog myself in a gym these days
                Northern England.

Comment

• hello all hope you're doing well...
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttr9DARVY-0

approx 1.50

this thread has gone on a tangent....
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• I don"™t think this pandemic is going away soon despite the emerging vaccines. I stuck pretty strictly to the rules during the first lockdown but I found the deliveries only every 3 weeks left me craving fresh fruit and veg and milk.

Anyway, the reason for this post. I was in our local T3sc0"™s and socially distancing in the queue for the checkout. A lady came along with her trolley and put herself between me and the person in front who was unloading their shopping to be scanned. I pointed out that there was a queue and it was behind me. The lady commented "œWell you"™re a long way back aren"™t you" and went off a bit huffily. When I got to the checkout the couple behind me were where they"™d be before COVID. Too close. I didn"™t know whether to ask them to back off or not as I"™ve heard of arguments starting over such requests.

It seems that people are getting blasƩ about social distancing, which places the vulnerable in a difficult position.
                    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                    Oxfordshire

Comment

• We have not been in a supermarket since February, partly because we are shielding but partly to stop me from being arrested after hitting someone like that. We get what we need delivered from our 3 local super market chains, the drivers have all been superb and we usually get all we order without too many odd substitutions lol.

Comment

• We can't do online shopping for groceries where we live. We've eventually settled on the strategy of arriving at the shops or market as soon as they open. As the earliest shop we go to opens at 8.00 am, usually it's just us, the staff and maybe at most one or two other customers.

We've started doing this, as Mr Snoop got fed up telling people to back off and to put their masks on properly. And I got a bit embarrassed, truth to tell, because he kept coming across as a mad ranter, though it always had the desired effect because most people are a bit nervous of mad ranters!

Comment

• I really think some people just go into a fog when shopping focussing on where things are ie zoning out....
                          And not who is around them.
                          Just like in everyday life there are those who are more socially minded and those who just plain aren"™t.

I have found suddenly flinging my arms in the air as if I"™m suddenly being held at gunpoint seems to catch people"™s attention!!!!!.....spot the nutter.........but I "˜ avoid like the plague"™ groups of larking around teenagers...

I mostly go at lunchtime when it"™s traditionally the time when people have their main meal of the day here and the shops are empty.

Comment

• I did my own risk assessment by naked eye and came to the conclusion that it is not as serious as the doom merchants think.
                            Taking a wide angle view of behavior in supermarkets I spotted phone zombies poking at the screens and then reaching into the produce including ready to eat fruit. I have never seen a phone being cleaned.
                            Many supermarkets just send a member of staff to pick your order and submit it to the delivery driver.
                            Depending on the scientific report you read viruses can last between 3 and 28 days on a phone screens and any surfaces the zombie transfers it to.
                            My conclusion is that if you are fit to cultivate the land you are very unlikely to be affected.
                            My result is 2cm and one hand touch from mouth to mouth via a phone screen and an item of ready to eat fruit.
                            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Iā€™m fed up with sanitising the shopping. Never thought I could brag about my bleaching abilities.
                              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• We plonk everything on the floor which can't be soapy washed and then spray it and leave it for a couple of days. That bit of floor has never been so clean!!!
                                its the frozen stuff which is the pain isn't it?... thank goodness for spray disinfectant eh?

Lovely to see you can post again lumpy!... we've missed you!
                                Last edited by Nicos; 16-12-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X