Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do speak to your consultant. The reason I'm shielding is the medication, immune suppressant. It runs out soon as would have had another in august . I should have seen her in May but she phoned me instead.
    I had a letter via gp saying shield I'm vulnerable , then one to say im so just shield . Then one from consultant. I went with consultant who knows what's going on.
    Letters are hit and miss everywhere I think.
    We just have to use our common sense and do what we can (or not) .
    I think it's the lack of just fancying going somewhere. But nowhere appeals anyway with facemasks and queues galore.
    I just hide my thoughts in the garden and talk to the plants
    Northern England.

Comment

• Lowering the level of debate here: mothhawk, the book has arrived. There are biscuits in there I've never even heard of. So that will keep me busy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Will have to make a local adaptation: no such thing as block margarine here, so it'll be butter in all the recipes that call for marge.

And then there are those recipes that use lard. I have never in my life bought a block of lard. Just looking at the stuff feels dangerous! Anyway, looks like at some point I might just have to buy some.

Comment

• We use lots of lard in Yorkshire - well I do in shortcrust pastry A popular slang name for someone a bit overweight here is 'Lardarse ' - that's lowered the tone even further
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• I'm in Yorkshire also. What is wrong with lard? My 90 year old husband is a lover of lard and dripping. He says that in WW2 lard was far better than the axle grease that was marketed as margarine at the time. And I must agree that good dripping (hard to come by these days) is so, so tasty.

Comment

• I still make my own pork and beef dripping greenishfing, love the brown at the bottom and it makes delicious gravy

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
              I still make my own pork and beef dripping greenishfing, love the brown at the bottom and it makes delicious gravy
              Yum, yum! Of course we also love olive oil and a Mediterranean diet.

Comment

• So, your comments have sent me off looking for info about lard. Lots of saturated fat, so I won't swap olive oil for lard. But I will use it instead of butter in some recipes. So thanks.

Comment

• My parents were manchester and lard /dripping was often on sandwiches.
                  I rarely make pastry now (OH would love a pie made daily) but I would use lard.

Lardarse is still a term used
                  Last edited by Containergardener; 30-06-2020, 07:09 AM.
                  Northern England.

Comment

• Does lard work well in sweet pastry? Or is it better for savoury pies? Croissants and other pastries are usually made with lard, not butter, here, but I always like the butter croissants more.

I guess I'll just have to buy some and try.

Comment

• I'd stick with butter for the croissants

Comment

• Lard can be replaced with white vegetable fat or suet. Lard being rendered pig fat and suet rendered beef fat. I presume there are Spanish vegans, Snoop. Try their fats. Experiment with part of the fat content being a tasteless oil such as vegetable or sunflower. I’ve certainly used oil instead of fat in cakes.

Lard is virtually tasteless and can be used in sweet recipes. I usually use half butter, half lard or white veg fat when making pastry.
                        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                        Oxfordshire

Comment

• I just use butter for everything...whatever the recipe says

One day I'm sure it'll go very wrong
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• We use Rice Bran oil in everything, helps keep cholestrol levels down, doesn't change the taste of things and helps me keep the the Terry Wogan "racing snake" figure...............................................
                            I used to eat butter, lard and dripping, but stopped around 35 years ago.

Comment

• I'm a bit like Nicos. Though I have started using our local olive oil (it's got a nice almondy perfume) for cakes recently.

Rice bran oil. That's new to me. Rice bran doesn't even sound like the kind of stuff that might contain oil!

Edited to add: Sorry, Janie B. Forgot to say thanks to you. I bought a big jar of coconut oil a while back. Before I read that in fact it's not very good for you. There are vegans in Spain and that's a good suggestion. Thanks.
                              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 30-06-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                                Lowering the level of debate here: mothhawk, the book has arrived. There are biscuits in there I've never even heard of. So that will keep me busy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Will have to make a local adaptation: no such thing as block margarine here, so it'll be butter in all the recipes that call for marge.

And then there are those recipes that use lard. I have never in my life bought a block of lard. Just looking at the stuff feels dangerous! Anyway, looks like at some point I might just have to buy some.
                                I always use butter, don't have marg in the house. Butter works in lard recipes too, or sometimes instead of lard I use coconut oil which is solid at room temperature (though probably not in a Spanish summer!)
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X