Corona Cavern

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JanieB View Post
    ...Lard is virtually tasteless and can be used in sweet recipes. I usually use half butter, half lard or white veg fat when making pastry.
    That's how I was taught to make pastry in Housecraft lessons at school in the 60's, the lard adds an extra crispness. Now I generally use all butter or half butter half coconut oil, which is flavourless and gives the same crispness.

I don't use vegetarian white fat because it is made from palm oil.
    Last edited by mothhawk; 30-06-2020, 02:23 PM.
    Endless wonder.

Comment

• ^Great info, thanks. Looks like not only will my biscuit repertoire be increasing but my pie crusts will be improving too.

I'll report back, Nicos...
      Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

• I must say that although my husband (age 90), and very fit for his age loves lard and dripping, I do try to keep him healthy and lots of olive and rapeseed oil is also sneaked into his diet. He is a great lover of James Martin though (and his love of butter). All I can say is that a bit of what he fancies obviously does him good. All the health professionals he sees just tell him to keep up with the allotments. I believe that lots of fresh fruit and veg is the secret to a good diet.

Comment

• ^Fresh fruit and veg and exercise. An allotment is a powerful thing in the right hands, gf.
          Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

• Love your attitude gf!

I've no chance...grew up in Cheshire -a brill dairy region
            Now living in Normandy -another massive dairy area!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Comment

• ^I can't begin to imagine life without yogurt and cheese...

Comment

• Good attitude GF .
                I like cheese snoop, maybe because I don't go for puddings though, I'm more a savoury fan.
                I think activity is important , whether allotment or walking etc. I have no desire to flog myself in a gym these days
                Living around the wet and windy scottish border, otherwise known as 'no man's land' .

Comment

• I almost finished all the TV series I am following due to this lockdown.

Comment

• Hello and welcome, Cribration. How's your garden/allotment growing?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X