Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I carried on emptying out last years tomato plant compost from pots into a compost bag,then filled the pots with older compost from round the side of the house & planted out four more tomato plants & two mini peppers,I think we had rain in the night,I just watered the blowaway plants & one potato plant. Took some sideshoots off the tomatoes. Something’s eating my lettuce,I’m going out with a torch now,second time tonight...

Comment

• watched the rain... had to empty a few pots out as the plants were almost floating...

I suspect the beetroot I planted on the weekend won't make it...

Comment

• We have a cooler day, so watered raised beds and cut grass, leaving some daisies for the bees, then went for a bike ride.

Comment

• Not achieved much, shopped, exercised, tied in my toms, sown cress seeds then some General house work.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Rainy afternoon here.
            Tied up the tomatoes and pukked some weeds.
            Too wet to do much else in the garden.
            At least all the water butts are full again.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Popped to the plot very briefly to water stuff in the greenhouse , as the drips from the roof aren’t in the right position to water the tomatoes ;-)

Comment

• Potted up some pre-sprouted dwarf french bean seeds.
                Sowed some more chicory seeds, and snails finished off most of the previous lot.

Went up the allotment and noticed that asparagus beetles have come in great numbers when I wasn't watching, so spent half an hour squashing them all.

Comment

• It was quite windy today,I tied in the tomatoes,two were bent over a bit but they’re alright. Planted the 34th tomato plant in the ground next to some borage & another squash right next to the path it can grow over,save space in the bed. I put the raised planter I made outside,lined it with two compost bags overlapping,filled it with some really old compost & a bit of new,planted a sweet bonita pepper & sowed two varieties of lettuce in there. Strawberry runners have found the spare bit of soil I have left to plant in,they’ll be alright under brassica netting

Comment

• Potted up some more peppers in a compost/manure mix for the patio.

Comment

• I potted up four emir melons,three in black buckets with a layer of straw & one’s in a bigger container with a climbing courgette. Potted up another tomato & pepper. Watered the potatoes,pots & a few of the new plantings in the ground.

Comment

• Planted out one edible "hibiscus" (it's apparently more like a type of okra) and four cape gooseberry plants.

Pollinated two more squash flowers.
                        One thing I've noticed is that Pink Banana squash are very precocious. All of the four plants have produced female flowers already, and one is on its second flower, but the other varieties only just have female buds forming and are still about a week from opening.

Comment

• It was so hot today,I just harvested the garlic & the red onions,they’re all outside on a wire rack. I’ve never seen so many ants & aphids already on the dahlias,I squashed loads but they’ve probably multiplied by now Watered the pots & potato bags.

Comment

• Watered and fed all the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers squash and Cape gooseberries in the greenhouse.
                            Dead headed some of the sweetpeas, the windy weather has not been kind to them.
                            did a lot of weeding, they grow like steam.
                            Did lots of odds and ends, just pottering but enjoyable.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Watered and fed the melons and squash.

Did a little weeding

Sowed some more beetroot and carrots.

Tried to redirect some unruly squash vines, as well as lightly "pruning" a couple. It's not even July, and they're already starting to take over. I think 8 may have been too many...

Also noticed that a lot of my blackcurrant fruit have gotten sun scald in these last two hot days...
                              Last edited by ameno; 25-06-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• Checked the brassicas have emerged in the nursary rows and put a cover of fleece on to keep the birds off. I'll do something better at the weekend.
                                Carol planted a couple more rows of beetroot, she likes beetroot.
                                I planted the last two courget plants we raised, one on its own and the other in the sweetcorn, both with a spadeful of very old horsemuck.
                                Dug out some bindweed (I do thise 2-3 times a week in the hope it will give up)!
                                Watered the top half of the plot. We try and drench half a plot and alternate rather than a bit of water on everything. No hosepipes allowed so it's cans from a trough.
                                Watered the strawberries for the last time, looks like maybe one more small picking if we're lucky and the runners are becoming abundant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X