Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got the base ready for the greenhouse relocation project. Mortar on that is drying nicely and should be ready for the greenhouse frame tomorrow.

Removed the glass from the greenhouse in its current location. Couple of broken pieces but given how much silicone the previous owner had used I am quite pleased with that.

Pretty much ready for the frame to be picked up and carried to the new location. Hopefully I'll be able to do that with it in piece.

Not a huge amount of actual gardening today, just a little weeding/removing of nettles.

Comment

• Went to the allotment to pull up the purple sprouting broccoli, which I took home to shred. While I was there, I noticed the potatoes were coming up, so I earthed them up.

Some of the seeds I put to sprout two days ago were sprouting, so I potted them up. All 13 Cobra french beans, 12 of 15 Swift sweetcorn, 4 of 6 Marina di Chioggia squash, and 1 of 4 Galeux d'esynnes squash.

Started pollarding my big cherry tree. I've pollarded about half of it, and now every available space is completely stuffed with cherry branches, so I'll have to shred that half before I can cut off the other half.

Comment

• GH cleaned and some pottering about
        Northern England.

Comment

• Potted on 14 of my tomatoes into their final 12" pots, in a mixture of one part soil to two parts sifted home-made compost with Growmore added. I took off the cotylodons and bottom two leaves and planted them deep to maximise root growth and keep the first truss low and hopefully get an extra truss before they hit the roof of the greenhouse. After planting, I made up the last two inches in the pots with bought compost to reduce weed growth from the home-made stuff.

Comment

• First day of plants going out to harden off. Dug over another couple of beds and we’re all done. Replaced my hardening off bench to something that doesn’t look like a banana. Moved the salad bar. Strimmed the veggie patch.

Comment

• I've spent the day painting the eight pallet collars that Ghexton so kindly got me. The inside got the less palatable orange/brown fence paint, and the outside got the more upmarket slate paint.

I stuck one in the greenhouse, and tipped in compost from last year along with some well rotted chicken manure/home made compost. My goodness, it will need a lot more than what I can make myself to fill all these eight pallet collars! I can feel a bulk delivery coming lol
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20200418_212302_copy_834x1283.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	2387025
              Last edited by SarrissUK; 18-04-2020, 11:13 PM. Reason: Added photo
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                I've spent the day painting the eight pallet collars that Ghexton so kindly got me. The inside got the less palatable orange/brown fence paint, and the outside got the more upmarket slate paint.

I stuck one in the greenhouse, and tipped in compost from last year along with some well rotted chicken manure/home made compost. My goodness, it will need a lot more than what I can make myself to fill all these eight pallet collars! I can feel a bulk delivery coming lol
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]91170[/ATTACH]
                Sorry to be negative SarrisUK but I inherited some of these on my plot. They are now falling to bits, have rotted, warped and are now a bit of an eyesore.Even with your treatment I wouldn't expect more than two seasons with them. Having said that, if you got them for nowt, there is nought to complain about and they will look good for a while.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Started clearing GH No 1 to make room for the tomatoes.
                  Lots of woodlice and creepy crawlies in the compost so I brought in Mrs Brown to give it a peckover.

Name:	100_1235.JPG
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	2387036 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1236.JPG
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	2387037

Had to keep her away from the lettuce and kale on the other side.

Name:	100_1237.JPG
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	2387038 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1238.JPG
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	2387039

Comment

• Re-felted the middle shed roof and re-ran the guttering as it’s never worked that well. Whoever built the shed built it on a wonky concrete base so the guttering has to be at what looks like an extreme angle just to be level, let alone drain into the water butt.

Washed out the water butt on that shed for the first time in 8 years. It was surprisingly clean.

Drained the other two water butts on the other sheds with the intention of cleaning them out but ran out of time!

Dug out around the base of the top shed where the soil has built up against the timber and has started to rot it!!!

Checked my thermometers as the one of them (in the greenhouse) seemed a bit off. And sure enough it is!

I put two tomato plants in the greeenhouse yesterday to see how they’d fair overnight And they’re fine! So I’ll be gradually starting to plant up the greenhouse this week!

Moved the plants around in the potting shed.

Had a bit of a tidy up between the sheds where I normally dump random odds and sods.

Had lunch and dinner in the garden.

All in all, a lovely day.

Comment

• Shredded the purple sprouting plants I pulled out yesterday, and shredded about two-thirds of the cherry branches I cut off. Do the rest tomorrow.

Comment

• For yesterday

Finished snapping/removing the screws that hold the greenhouse to its old base (more rust than screw) and moved the frame to its new base.

Discovered there is a slight lip on the front base piece that goes into the ground which means I need a groove grinding out of the base for the bit by the door to sit in. Fortunately only 1 paving slab, unfortunately I appear to be missing all the masonry cutting disks for the angle grinder so that will have to wait until the nice Mr Delivery Man turns up with some.

General clean up and sort of the contents of the greenhouse as it had turned into a bit of a dumping ground of late.

Comment

• Sorted out the strawberry beds in the polytunnel.

Planted the peas grown in the root trainers at the base of the pea trellises in the poly tunnel. Draped fleece around them to try and stop the sparrows from picking at them.

Sowed beans (Slenderette and Blue Lake) in root trainers.

Hubbie has built four more raised beds so far this year so today I popped some more potatoes in one of them.
                          Last edited by Peppermint; 20-04-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Potted up 10 of my tomatoes into their final containers.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Planted some butternut squash in the polytunnel, planted a bed of mangetout peas and a bed of spinach. Put some ground cover over the area I cleared last month as it's sprouting everywhere and i'm not ready to plant out the wild flower meadow yet. Sowed French beans, courgettes and peppers from the seed swap, thanks again, in heated GH.

Comment

• Planted our and netted my brussel sprouts, and spring cabbage.

Tried post a photo but couldn’t will try edit the post later

Name:	81DDBED6-9084-4025-8370-DDEA06AD4946.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2387050
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Can the Man; 20-04-2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X