Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I decided to take a 1/2 day from work today, so spent the afternoon with the rotovator breaking up the weeds and soil getting ready for spuds and sprouts and cabbage plants. Will do the same tomorrow and will harvest the last of my curly kale

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
      I built a bug hotel
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]91114[/ATTACH]
      Love that Sp
      Northern England.

Comment

• Finished digging the strip of the big bed I was digging. It started out as half, but the strip got wider and wider as I worked my way down, so ended up more like two-thirds...
        A contractor strimmed the paths yesterday, so I raked up some of the grass and took it to line trenches for my squash.
        I also started edging the big bed with roof tiles, but didn't finish.

Now that I've finished that half of the digging, I'm going to take a few days off from allotment work and concentrate on garden jobs (like that damn cherry tree).

Comment

• Dug out and sifted a dustbin-full of finished compost from my pallet bins. Went round the plot with the hoe, more as a pre-emptive strike than because of weedy need. Watered and fed everything in the greenhouse. Inspected the brassicas to see what harm had been done by the strong winds. Looks like I've lost 3 or 4 Tuscan black kale seedlings but luckily I have a few spares still in the tray. A coupe of the Calabrese look very sorry for themselves but fingers crossed that they recover as I have no spares. The cabbages don't look at all concerned, thank goodness.

Comment

• Lots of potting about today. Re sowing seeds, putting germinated tomatoes into compost.
            Fixed my shell bunting and put it back on the shed. Cold smoked some cheese & chillies.
            Showered the dog after he’d been ditch diving........again. Then cleaned the bathroom, that took a long time !!

Comment

• Sowed seeds this afternoon
              Northern England.

Comment

• Sown the last of my pre-chitted parsnips, planted newspaper module of lettuce into window boxes. Waiting for the rest to get a bigger before planting them into the beds they might survive the slugs a bit better then.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Lots of sowing and potting on today.

I potted on four chilli plants (the rest aren't big enough yet) and all 12 of my tomatoes.
                  Potted up my three rooted sweet potato cuttings, and took four more cuttings.
                  Potted up two sprouted sweet red pepper seeds, and two sprouted hibiscus seeds.
                  Sowed spring onions, dill, and leeks.

Put the following seeds to pre-germinate on damp tissue:
                  -16 Enorma runner beans
                  -24 Spagna Bianco runner beans
                  -16 Coco blanc French beans
                  -10 winged beans
                  -14 butter beans
                  -14 Bijou mangetout
                  -16 Swift sweetcorn
                  -4 Defender courgette
                  -6 Marina di Chioggia squash
                  -4 Pink Banana squash
                  -4 Galeux d’eysines squash

Comment

• Took delivery of 4 tumbler tomato plants, 1 french flat leaf parsley, 2 chillies and 2 cucumber plants. Watered them well as they looked very thirsty will plant out in the poly tunnel tomorrow

Comment

• Spread manure on another bed.
                      Put another 9 chillies into final pots.
                      Put all the summer bling back on my shed
                      Started the search for runner bean supplies. As 20 out of 24 have rotted. maybe I should start whining like a little girl about it .
                      Made a smoked chilli sauce.

Comment

• Got talked, against my better judgement, into starting on the pond, which has been neglected for about 3 years. Hacked and hauled out about 3 wheelbarrow loads of lily roots and and a huge clump of horsetail. Spotted some newts and decided to downscale from full clear-out to tidy-up to protect the wildlife. Scooped out several million duckweed with a fine net and topped up the water level. I'll do a more thorough job in Autumn, once the amphibians vacate.

Potted on the final 12" pot the first of my cucumbers, which is in flower.

Planted out 4 of my sweet potatoes into what was supposed to be a hotbed but has now cooled to little warmer than a standard cold frame. Kept the fifth one in the greenhouse and potted it up into a larger pot. the new plan is to grow it on a bit for cuttings and try growing them out in the open once the summer comes.

Comment

• Potted up 10 Tithonia flowers into slightly larger pots.

Potted up a few tomatoes that were getting big

Ailsa Craig x 1
                          Alicante x 1
                          Amateur x 1
                          Cuor di bue x 1
                          Euromoney x 1
                          Gardener's Delight x 2
                          Iraqi Heart-shaped x 1

More to do tomorrow as I need to bring some pots down from the allotment
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Sowed Jerusalem artichoke tubers (5 each of Stampede and Fuseau)

Made some progress with the greenhouse relocation project. Weed proof membrane has arrived so that is now down over the area along with about 2/3 of the flags.

Turns out not all the pile of large flags are not the same size (they "came with the house", we periodically unearth them!) with the odd one a CM or so bigger than the rest so it will likely end up with a slightly whimsical paved area.

Finish off laying and mortaring the flags over the weekend and then hopefully on to the actual moving of the greenhouse!

Comment

• Potted on my Jalapeno chilli plants.
                              Planted out my spring onions.
                              Planted out my shallots.
                              Potted on my cucumbers.
                              Put in supports for my peas and beans.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Sowed some seeds
                                Sat put of the wind on an old camping chair in the Gh reading my kindle , with a hot choc and some banana loaf.
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X