Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We cleaned out the greenhouse! Throw away so many old pot plants and gave the place a food brushing. Hopefully next week we can give the glass a good washing!
    @thecluelessgardener

Comment

• Sowed my tumbling tom tomatoes and a lot of my Brassica seeds today. Nearly used all the available space so hopefully will be able to get some bits and pieces out in the next few weeks.

Comment

• Planted my Desiree and Setanta maincrop spuds. Emptied out all the odds and sods of pots in the greenhouse and seived the used compost, which will be added to seived soil for filling the cone-shaped holes when I plant my parsnips.

I'm going to have a go at pre-germinating the parsnip seeds this year. from what I've seen on Youtube, this takes about 5 days, so I'll probably set them going on Monday or Tuesday for planting at weekend.

Comment

• I sowed some peashoots and moved some containers with primroses and Spraxis tricolor (which Google tells me are harlequin flowers) into the front garden.The harlequin flower bulbs were a random purchase from Lidl a couple of weeks ago as I needed something to add into the primrose pots.

I've also started some sprouting radish seeds soaking in my new sprouter. Hopefully they will turn out okay. I'm not a morning person, so no way I will remember to drain and rinse them every morning before going to work, so just hoping a once daily rinse is enough to prevent me getting haemolytic uraemic syndrome If the radish seeds work okay, I have lots of nice dried pulses from Hodmedod (a birthday present) that I could try sprouting, but I did buy my Mum lots of seeds for sprouting from Premier Seeds a couple of years ago and am certainly seeing a bulk sprouting/microgreen seed order in my near future

Comment

• Checked on lettuce, tom and peashoots on windowsill, all doing fine, chilli not up yet. Also sowed mini peppers there. Sowed some radish. Harvested lamb's lettuce to have with lunch. Checked a couple of containers for broad bean germination. No sign yet but I've got several self sown parsley seedlings coming up.

Comment

• General tidy up started in the garden, plants and shrubs that were left over winter for cover or feed for wildlife is now being tidied up, pruned the buddleias down and starting to uncover some new shoots, first daffodils in flower today, rain started now so inside in the dry.

Comment

• I sorted all my seeds and added these new seeds to my bundles of joy lol

And I bought a mini wooden greenhouse from Aldi

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200309_134013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	754.7 KB
ID:	2386517

Name:	20200309_134016.jpg
Size:	768.9 KB
ID:	2386518

Name:	20200309_134020.jpg
Size:	733.6 KB
ID:	2386519
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I cropped a couple of radishes that I sowed last December in the greenhouse. Slugs have had a bit of a nibble at them so I've put down some beer traps. One I did last week has already killed a few of them.

Name:	FB_IMG_1583774729803.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2386520 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1583774734254.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2386521 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1583774738937.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2386522

I also planted some fartichokes in potato grow bags. There's two in each bag. I figured it best to use grow bags as they are buggers for growing where they were cropped from the year before because it's hard to get all the tubers out.

Name:	FB_IMG_1583774745342.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2386523

Comment

• In between the rain, I managed to hack down and dig out the diseased blackcurrant in the front garden, and plant the Japanese quince I bought in its place.

Comment

• Put dahlias to sprout in greenhouse covered with old compost. Then planted seed potatoes for next years seed. Then went to Garden Centre as not many sweet pepper seeds have germinated. Got some orchid compost at same time as a couple of plants need repotting. Then read a bit of 'Save your own seed' by Lawrence D. Hills, he quotes Trusser (1524-1580) with:

One acre composted is worth acres 3
                      At harvest thy barns shall declare it to thee

He does seem to meander a lot.

Comment

• Potted up a couple of strawberries into a hanging basket.
                        Sown seeds. Including an impulsive decision to grow carrots!
                        Sorted seeds for next round in the heated propagator.
                        Watered

Comment

• Finished digging my planned asparagus bed (a lot more bindweed than I had anticipated) and dressed it with plenty of sand. Now I just need to wait for my asparagus crowns to arrive.

Comment

• got my loofah seeds in the post

#growyourownsponge

Comment

• I'm still getting minus temps inside the greenhouse, so still tidying and doing a bit of spring pruning, when the soil is fit I shall create a new small tattie bed in one of the lawns(when SWMBO isn't looking lol)

Comment

• Started digging (and edging with roof tiles) the bed where I plan to plant my potatoes. Got about 2x1m done. Need to do about three times that before I can plant the potatoes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X