Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossed my fingers and planted my International Kidney potatoes. A bit early, even for here, but worth the risk. I'll just have to fleece them if we get a hard frost.

Comment

• Finished digging over plot today- pretty much ready for the growing season.Click image for larger version

Name:	97003C3E-71C5-44C6-87C6-89EC96F47D79.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2386431
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot12c View Post
        Finished digging over plot today- pretty much ready for the growing season.[ATTACH=CONFIG]90324[/ATTACH]
        What do you grow in the bath? Plug plants? Tap roots?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
          What do you grow in the bath? Plug plants? Tap roots?
          No only Strawberries strawberries ��

Comment

• Growing a luffa in it would be appropriate...!

Can you find an old towel rail to put next to it?

Comment

• Removed a paving slab from my patio, dug over the soil underneath, made a mini-raised bed there from half an old plastic dustbin with the bottom cut out, and planted my potted persimmon tree in it.
              It dropped it's leaves early last year, so I was a bit concerned, but the buds seem to be swelling, so I think it should be okay.

Comment

• Doh. Duplicate.
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 03-03-2020, 09:39 AM. Reason: error
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
                  Crossed my fingers and planted my International Kidney potatoes. A bit early, even for here, but worth the risk. I'll just have to fleece them if we get a hard frost.
                  Do you put seaweed on them, and do they taste like Jersey Royals?!
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                    Do you put seaweed on them, and do they taste like Jersey Royals?!
                    Yes, the ground has had plenty of Vraic (seaweed) covering it over the winter. I turned that in a fortnight ago and have just planted them about 6 inches down, so they are in contact with the remains of the seaweed.

I'll let you know in June if the taste like Jersey Royals. I suspect they'll be even better straight out of the ground.

Comment

• Turned the compost bin at the allotment.
                      Dug over some more of one of the main beds, lining the edges with old roof tiles as I went. It was harder work than I was expecting, so didn't manage to finish.

Comment

• Tidied one of the tunnels.
                        Sown seeds.
                        Started off the onion sets in trays.

Comment

• Potted up my "accidental" sweet potato cuttings, which had produced some good roots in water.
                          Sowed some carrots in a big tub in the conservatory.

Comment

• Removed the fleece from everything in the greenhouse, removed more dead leaves from plants sunk in pots in the border, watered French strawberries to start them off and also the winter salad leaves, thought they would be lettuce, looks mostly to be Rocket.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02673.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	2386471

Sure they will get eaten......whatever they are lol

Comment

• First chance to get onto the plot this week due to starting new job

Potted 2 x 'Duke' Blueberries into next-size-up pot and left in greenhouse till I sort out permanent bed in coming weeks.

Potted up more perennial roots ~ 2 x Chocolate Cosmos, 3 x Pineapple Lily

Neighbour gave me some variegated Vinca which I was able to split it and make 3 well-rooted plants.

Potted Arum italicum into larger pot and was able to split this into 2 more plants. Poor thing have been stuck in same pot for three years *badGill*

Tidied up various bits of rubbish that had been scattered round by the weekend winds

Rang council up about second allotment. They rang me 3 weeks ago to check we were still interested and said they'd call back in next week or so. You have to keep pestering them Tim (new guy in charge) was out so will ring me back on Monday....and if not I'LL ring him again and again.....and again if needs be

Left at 4pm and met plot neighbours four up who asked me if I wanted some plant pots & trays. I never say no to free stuff if I can use it! Got 120 round pots of various sizes, 2 seed trays, 10 modules of 40 and 24 modules of six. Chuffed to bits as I have a lot of sowing to do this year and these will keep me going. Will bring them home in a black bag next week and soak them in the bath to clean them ready for use in April.

Back at work for next three days 11am - 6pm so it'll be Monday before I can get back on Plot 34.
                              If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Finished digging and edging with roof tiles the big bed I was working on.

Attached some wire trellis to the posts I drove in for the akebia to grow up. Those things grow fast: it's only the 5th of March, and some of the new shoots are already 3-4 inches long.

Added about 10kg of coffee grounds to the compost heap, which I picked up in town yesterday.

Started on digging the bed where I plan to plant my new asparagus. Managed to do just less than half of it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X