Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearing out big shed at home and putting contents of small shed in it, the small shed is then going up to the allotment if I can salvage it ok to make room for a new 8x6 greenhouse that's arriving next week so I can get some electric heating going to start stuff off earlier. I found a lot of things e.g. peppers, aubergines, melons etc. didn't really have enough time to grow enough and were a bit pathetic last year.

Comment

Weeding today even found 2 parsnips that I'd missed.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I took down my bird box so I could position my IBC behind my shed. I've now got to relocate the birdbox but I'll maybe give it a clean out before hanging it again. I;ve also got to divert the drainpipe so it flows into the tank bt miracles take longer

Comment

Spent the afternoon washing all the plant labels, trays, covers, and the plastic bottles that go 9ver the bamboo canes. Cleaning and washing canes and pots as well.
          Getting ready to fumigate the greenhouse with sulphur candles.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Another 2 beds emptied, weeded & covered.
            Put manure back onto one of the beds. Blackbird obviously thought it looked better on the path .
            Cut back my 3 over watering chillies.
            Potted on some more chilli seedlings.
            Weeded the flower/shrub cuttings tub.

Comment

Took my incinerator bin up to the allotment and burned a lot of the summer and autumn prunings, as well as a whole load or woody prunings the previous tenant left behind. Once it's cool, I'll spread the ash on some of the beds.
              I took up a sweet potato, a wedge of squash, and an apple, all wrapped in tinfoil, to bake in the embers. The squash and apple ended up rather over-done, sadly, but the sweet potato was nice.

Comment

Sowed mixed chillie peppers + Habanero chillies and two lots of chives. Put all pots on top of fridge/freezer to geminate.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cleaned a root trainer thingy ready for broad beans
                  Dug over a new section of plot for 30 minutes
                  Pruned the gooseberry and the red currant
                  Came home wishing it wasn't dry January and I didn't have a slab of Wainwrights bitter in the cupboard under the stairs.
                  Made a brew instead

Comment

Extended one of my beds at the allotment, removing turf from the path and digging the soil underneath. Surprisingly easy.

Comment

Last year my best performing and tastiest tomatoes were good old Ailsa Craig. I harvested some seeds and today I sowed them. I had problems getting them off the kitchen roll paper I dried them on but once sown,they have joined the other pots on top of the fridge/freezer.
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Last year my best performing and tastiest tomatoes were good old Ailsa Craig. I harvested some seeds and today I sowed them. I had problems getting them off the kitchen roll paper I dried them on but once sown,they have joined the other pots on top of the fridge/freezer.
                        Is that the new fridge freezer Snadger,..

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                          Is that the new fridge freezer Snadger,..
                          Nope its the old one. Its a long story but American jobbie isn't coming until 21st Jan.

I have a gate with an 800mm opening, The new freezer is 745mm wide but the packaging brings it up to 800mm
                          The last lot that came to deliver it weren't qualified to either strip the packaging or if necessary take the freezer doors off.(I offered but they said I wasn't insured to do it) and they were frightened they scratched it.

I had the chance to cancel it or wait until 21st for delivery when they would have someone qualified. I bought it on a Black Friday good deal so was loath to cancel it.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Finished extending one of the allotment beds, and took down the last of the bean supports.

Comment

Turned an old council rubbish bin into a waterbutt by sealing the holes with silicon squeezy stuff, tightened up GH glazing with the same, lifted three fat parsnips for tea and found that my beetroot, cabbage and aubergines have germinated :-)

Comment

Walked to B&Q to see if they had any seed potatoes yet, but they didn't. Came home with a very expensive bag of seed sowing compost (can't carry the big bags home, and the cheaper small bags all seemed to have been left somewhere wet as they were much heavier than they should have been) and a mix and match selection of flower bulbs. I'm more interested in growing things I can eat, but this miserable corner of the world could definitely do with a splash of colour to liven it up a bit.

I've also carried a small table upstairs and set it up in front of the window in the spare bedroom after a suggestion on here. I now have a surface where I can put containers to grow microgreens/peashoots etc as my windowsills are very narrow

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X