Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016... So far this year I have preserved.....

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
    Sorry, daft question... why do you need to buy new lids? Is that just for selling products on or do you need to do that when making things for home use too?
    Once you open a jar you compromise the tightness of the fit, so air could get in and spoil the preserve or cause it to dry out.

And as Norfolk Grey said often lids from jars of strong smelling food such as pesto, curry or pickles will still carry the smell in the lid and will spoil the taste of your preserve.

You could use cellophane jam tops to line the inside of the jar and use the waxed paper disc that goes with them but you can get mould forming under these or it can tear and the smell will still transfer to your preserves.

I always use new lids; it isn't worth spoiling all my hard work.

A friend of mine poo poohed this and told me that she has always used the waxed discs under the recycled lids and never had any trouble. She gave me a jar of her a new marmalade that she had made. And low and behold when I got it home and opened it there was a thick layer of mould fur on the top.

I didn't say anything, not worth upsetting her.
    Mind you we also disagree on marmalade making methods too. She uses the cook it whole and whizz in a food processor because it is quicker.

I prefer the old fashioned way of squeezing the oranges, removing the membrane and pith and cutting the peel by hand. I think it gives a much better finish, it looks better and there is a definition to the texture rather than a whizzed up mush. Although I do use the processor to juice the fruit before I do the rest by hand.

Comment

I have started my first ever batch of fermented chilli sauce! Fingers crossed..

Attached Files
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
        Sorry. Only just spotted this.

You take your cucamelons in a bowl and a skewer and sit down with something interesting on the telly.
        You then make several holes in each cucamelon with the skewer.

Make sure the TV is interesting. LOL

Then sprinkle the cucuamelons with salt and leave over night.
        In the morning drain and rinse very well. taste one to see if they are too salty and if they are soak in some water for 10 minutes or so.

Pack in sterilised glass jars, cover with flavoured vinegar and put a lid on. Leave for a couple of months.
        Thank you Mrs Bee,i will do that next time.

Comment

Two jars of Beetroot Chutney
          ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
          a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

3 jars of spicy chilli chutney...delish😁
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

Gave a jar of my piccalilli and a jar of spicy runner bean chutney to my friend at work today ~ it felt really good to be able to share my home grown veggies ~ preserved...!
              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

cider mulled apples and pears (unfortunately my pear crop was poor so I bulked it up with apples)
                pasta sauce for the freezer

still to do apple and ginger mincemeat, dehydrated apple rings. Need to look at dessert apple recipes at some point too.

Comment

1 jar of blush dried tomatoes in vinegar and basil oil.

Comment

On the hob, simmering away: Tomato Chutney

And waiting to be consumed (in about half an hour) a big tureen of Courgette & Tomato Soup
                    - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Made 3 portions of bolognaise sauce for the freezer and that used a big load of tomatoes up. Got two freezers and I now have almost no room left Packed a lot of soups, sauces, pies, quiches and veg in over the past few months.
                      LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

• Most of the day in the kitchen ( everything always takes longer than I think it's going to )
                        Basil ice cubes
                        Spring onion soup ( probably this evenings starter )
                        Cooked beetroot now in the fridge ready for next time we have a roast ( got a honey roasted beetroot recipe to try )
                        2lt jar of pickled beetroot
                        4 jars of beetroot chutney

I will be back tomorrow!

Comment

• ^^^I am jealous, all my beetroot was pants this year - sob!sob!

Dehydrated apple rings (hopefully, I am no where near mastering the ruddy machine)
                          red sentinel crab apple jelly
                          red sentinel crab apple butter

next to do, more apple and ginger mincemeat, quince jelly and cider mulled apples.

Comment

• Made pasatta, tomato and chilli chutney, Chinese plum sauce and spicy courgette chutney

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• 2 jars of heat wave chutney ( mostly tomato, sweet pepper, chilli )
                              4 jars of beetroot, apple & cumin chutney
                              12 jars of green tomato & chilli chutney

Now having a jar crisis!

Comment

• -------SP ~ I have hit the jar crisis too ......... and with an abundance of ripe tomatoes I was in a bit of a quandary ........
                                So, I have now got in my freezer, almost 4kg of lovely tommies ready for future cooking ventures .....pasatta being one of them .....

I still have 8 plants in GH that are laden with ripening fruits ......
                                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X