Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't read all nine pages so I don't know if this has already been posted but recently I discovered zoodles. It's a thing like a large pencil sharpener that makes courgette spaghetti.
    One use for this is a zoodle pie.
    I salted, rinced and squeezed dry my zoodles.
    Then, in a big bowl, placed the zoodles, achopped ball of mozzarella, a handful of grated cheddar, crushed clove garlic, halved cherry toms and some leftover, cooked veggies. I baked thhis in the oven for 30 minutes an it was very tasty. Add anything you like. It set firm and was also good the next day.

Comment

Have a look at Zucchini Parmesan Crisps Recipe : Ellie Krieger : Food Network
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Last year I made courgette upside down cake and lemon jam and ginger jam, all with rather a lot of courgette in.

You can also blend the raw courgette and disappear it into soups, casseroles and stews.

It disppears into smoothies too, no need to cook.

Comment

Thought I would bump this up, as I am sure I am not the only one experiencing a glut of courgettes with the weather this week

and linking in another thread I found
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...pes_60026.html

EDIT - Threads merged by VC
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 27-07-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Crikey, what a ' blast from the past' this thread is. A lot of grapes posting who are not active members now and quite a few previous mods as well.
            Nothing to add, but enjoyed reading through the thread.
            My four courgette plants are just starting to produce now so I know where to come if I get sick of courgette frittata.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'll add this recipe I made the other evening....

https://www.livingchirpy.com/risotto...room-zucchini/

Therè are plenty of courgette recipes on that site!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                Thought I would bump this up, as I am sure I am not the only one experiencing a glut of courgettes with the weather this week

and linking in another thread I found
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...pes_60026.html

EDIT - Threads merged by VC
                Thanks Chestnut/VC, went off to try to find this and BAM! you had already dug it out ready for us. PS, book mentioned in #3 is still available 2nd hand from a "well known online book (and everything else) Retailer!" 150+ things to do with courgettes (no sniggering in the back )

When I get my copy I will post some ideas. until then..check out www.olivemagazine.com/recipies/vegan/romana-courgette-agrodolce

courgette fried with red onion, garlic, vinegar, a little sugar and as much chilli (or none) as you like, mint on top. Sweet, sour, spicy and very nice

Can find loads on the interweb, but I do like a good cook book
                Last edited by Vegi potager; 28-07-2019, 02:08 AM. Reason: punctuation.. although the grammer police will still get me!
                V.P.
                The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Not noticed a recipe on this thread for courgette goujons, the coating puts me in mind of southern fried chicken

Ingredients
                  thick sliced courgettes (lengthways)
                  flour
                  beaten egg
                  breadcrumbs
                  grated cheese
                  smoked paprika
                  seasoning

Mix the cheese, smoked paprika and seasoning with the breadcrumbs
                  Coat each piece of courgette in flour, then egg, then the savoury breadcrumbs before placing on an oiled baking tray.
                  Cook in a preheated oven (probably 15mins at 180c) until crispy and golden
                  Last edited by Mr Bones; 28-07-2019, 06:33 AM.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

This afternoon I have added chocolate courgette cake (plenty of recipes to choose from online, the one I used today was from a well known supermarket website), and Auntie’s courgette soup

2 large onions, gently cooked in 1 oz butter until translucent
                    1 lb8oz courgettes and cook 5 min further
                    Add 1 and a half pints veg stock (or 2 tins veg consomme) , 2 tbsp cider vinegar and one bouquet garni, simmer for 20 min.
                    Blend until smooth and season to taste ;-)
                    Last edited by Chestnut; 11-08-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

One of my favourite sides, excellent with bbq.- Courgette tadziki
                      coarsely grate about 400g courgettes (unpeeled is fine unless tough.)
                      Fry off in olive oil until dry, (10 mins or so) keep temp low to try to prevent browning.
                      Season with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
                      In a bowl mix 200g plain Greek yoghurt,
                      2 tbps mayo (I do but can be optional)
                      up to 2 tbsp of chopped herbs type dependant on bbq. 3/4 Parsley with 1/4 mint for lamb. Or Basil. I like 1 tbsp dill.
                      up to 2 cloves chopped garlic (I do but can be optional)
                      50g chopped walnuts (again optional.)
                      stir in cold courgettes.

Serve chilled, I like pilaf or bread and what ever is nicely charred from the bbq

Substitute a load of sautéed chopped chard (including stems) in place of the courgettes.
                      Last edited by Vegi potager; 01-08-2019, 08:14 PM. Reason: treasonous addition.
                      V.P.

Comment

Three courgetti recipes (no amounts given as it depends on how hungry you are - you decide on amounts):

Puttanesca
                        Fry sufficient courgetti in some butter till nearly done, add some finely chopped garlic and chilli flakes to taste and fry a bit longer, then (to serve two in our household) add a couple of teaspoons of capers (rinsed of salt or brine), one of those small cans of anchovies chopped (anchovies, not the can) and decent tomato passata of an amount to suit you. Heat and serve.

With smoked salmon and creme fraiche
                        Fry sufficient courgetti in some butter till nearly done, add some finely minced garlic and fry a bit longer, then add some chopped smoked salmon (I use 100 g between two...), stir in and then add a generous tablespoon of creme fraiche per person and a bit of ground white pepper. Heat and serve.

With spinach and blue cheese
                        Wilt spinach in some butter in a pan. Remove and chop finely. In the same pan, fry sufficient courgetti with some extra butter if necessary. Add minced garlic and fry till the courgetti are cooked. Add spinach back into pan and somewhere around 15 to 20 g per person of good blue cheese (I like Gorgonzola here). Heat till cheese has melted and stir in. Serve.
                        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks Snoop, If you fancy a change from pasta (or courgetti) with those I bet that the spinach and blue cheese especially, would go well in a pancake and baked for a bit (Italian Crispini)

Now I have made myself hungry again!
                          V.P.

Comment

todays installment... Courgette Rice

Serves 6 as a hot side, or eat cold as a salad.

Saute 2 onions finely chopped in 2 tbsp olive oil with 2 large cloves of garlic (minced) for 5 mins until golden
                            Add 1 red pepper (finely chopped) and cook for another 3-4 minutes
                            Add 175g rice (6oz) and 700g chopped courgettes Stir to coat in the oil.
                            Add 400g tin tomatoes (or fresh peeled and chopped ) salt and pepper
                            Bring to the boil, (there might be enough liquid from the veg to cook the rice, but you may need to add some boiling water to cover the rice.)
                            Place on lid a lower the heat right down to steam for 30-40 minutes. Depending on if you used white or brown rice, when it is cooked to your taste turn off the heat and leave to stand for 10 minute. I use a clean tea towel and jam it under the lid to absorb any residual steam.
                            Adjust seasoning to taste and stir in 2tbsp fresh chopped Parsley. Before serving hot. Or leave to cool as a warm/cold rice salad.

I quite like some fresh mint or coriander as well depending on what I am serving it with. I will also make this using Course bulgar wheat as is or add a tin of black eyed beans and eat it as a main course by its self.

Add chilli if you like it hot, or have it with some of the previous courgette tadziki!
                            Last edited by Vegi potager; 01-08-2019, 08:10 PM.
                            V.P.

Comment

I’m bumping this thread so that those of us with gluts can bounce off shared recipes.

Please feel free to add to the list!

Comment

Adding another courgette thread…
                                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...are-courgettes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X