Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Courgette and ricotta lasagne is really nice.
    DottyR

Comment

We've had this courgette bake for tea today :-

https://nipitinthebud.wordpress.com/...te-pasta-bake/

didn't bother with the bacon but used some peas.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        I'm using courgettes (peeled with a cheese slicer) as a lo-carb substitute for pasta
        Gino does a great salad with courgette ribbons, haricot beans with some olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. Delicious on its own ar as a side.

Comment

If I happen to have any courgettes (which is unlikely because I dont grow them) I attempt to give them away, Alternativly they go in the compost bin. Never in the field of human gardening has a vegetable had so little taste, in my opinion a complete waste of valuable space. Opinions may vary.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            I'm using courgettes (peeled with a cheese slicer) as a lo-carb substitute for pasta
            I ue a spiralise to make pasta too - make sure its still got a bit of a crunch - delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
              I ue a spiralise to make pasta too - make sure its still got a bit of a crunch - delicious!
              I've invested in a spiralizer too. I just quickly steam the courgetti or pop them in the pan with the other ingredients for a few minutes, just to soften slightly.

Comment

Use in a moussaka instead of (or with) aubergines.

If I've got a glut, I usually chop them into chunks and roast with a drizzle of olive oil and a scattering of thyme with onions, tomatoes, peppers etc, then freeze in batches. Lovely heated and stirred through pasta or as a side... add some chorizo or chicken if you're feeling fancy and carnivorous...

Comment

Thanks for all the recipe ideas I've been out and bought some feta to have a go at the fritters first. They sound yummy!

Comment

I use them to make bhajis to have with a curry

Comment

This advanced search (courgette recipe) might also help http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...archid=1467977 there are tonnes of ideas on the Vine. If you find the advanced search a pain do a g00gle seach with @fruitandveg.co.uk as part of the search
                      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

courgette gratin

courgette & tomato gratin
                        serves 4

500g new potatoes, thickly sliced & boiled 5 mins
                        2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
                        mixed herbs
                        5 tbsp olive oil (or butter?)
                        500g toms , peeled & sliced
                        500g courgettes, sliced
                        300g cheese, coarsely grated

Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
                        Mix the garlic with the oil and some seasoning.Drizzle a little of the oil over the base and sides of a 1.5-litre ovenproof dish.
                        Layer half the potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes in the dish, drizzling with garlic and herb oil as you go. Sprinkle half the cheese over the veg.
                        Repeat the layers of veg and oil, drizzle over the remaining oil, then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
                        Bake for 40-45 mins until the veg is tender and the top golden and crisp.

adapted from BBC Good Food
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-07-2015, 05:59 PM.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I tried the courgette, feta and pea fritters too. The recipe needs tweaking, but definitely promising. Since I am going to have many, many courgettes, I will have lots of opportunity to refine it! When I am satisfied I shall post it.

Comment

Take about 500g courgettes and slice them thinly lengthwise (mandolin helps) then fry in a pan in olive oil until golden both sides - I do this in batches and keep the done ones warm in a low oven. Alternatively you can grill them on a barbeque. Briefly fry a clove of chopped garlic then add 2Tbsp currants soaked in 2Tbsp red wine vinegar and 1Tbsp toasted pine nuts. Wait for the vinegar to splutter and reduce then remove from heat and spoon over the courgettes. Add some torn mint leaves, a squeeze of lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper. Serve warm. Sometimes I also add crumbled feta cheese.

Comment

Morning everyone.
                              Lottydolly - just for you! I am sure the Mods will move it if it should be elsewhere.

Courgette Fritters

1 lb of grated courgette
                              1 large onion, finely chopped
                              2 eggs
                              4 oz plain flour
                              4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
                              salt and pepper (garlic salt if you have it is delish)
                              herbs of your choice – I used dill and oregano

Grate courgette and put in a clean tea towel and squeeze excess liquid out.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl to form a 'batter'.

Large frying pan with a little sunflower or olive oil. Heat and then put in tablespoonful of batter and pat down a little. You are aiming for a fritter to be about half an inch thick. Put 4-5 fritters in to cook at a time. Don't allow them to touch one another. Flip over. Cook until nicely browned on each side. Put on a rack to cool slightly.

These can be eaten warm or cold. You can reheat them if you prefer them warm. Crisp them up under the grill.
                              Nice with a cucumber and garlic dip.

I made a batch of these yesterday to take on a picnic today. I am off to Bodnant Gardens in North Wales (near Conwy I think) with some friends. Really looking forward to it and as I look out the window the sun has just come out! So, leg in a pant and get that greenhouse watered, tomatoes and cuke for lunch picked and 'grub' packed. Have a lovely day everyone.

Comment

Julia Childs Grated Zucchini Sauteed In Butter And Shallots Recipe - Food.com

this is a link to a recipe for grated courgettes fried in butter, not the most diet conscious but truly delish. It also uses up 4-5 courgettes which can't be a bad thing. I didn't salt them quite as much but pressed the water out using a potato ricer. I've still got masses of the blighters left, so I feel a batch of chutney coming on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X