No announcement yet.

Chard, and how best to cook it...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some recipes for Chard Chard recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and style | The Guardian

Comment

Wilt chard in a frying pan with a little water and a tiny knob of butter. Drain and add black pepper to taste stir in some Philadelphia cheese pour into pasta. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Ooh yes I've made the chard curry at the bottom, its super!

Comment

It does sound good
          Don't think the OP was impressed as she hasn't been back since

Comment

It does sound good
            Might be a good way of tactfully discouraging people from coming round then?

Comment

I love Swiss chard you can use it in lots of different ways plus it looks pretty in the garden.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

It does sound good
                Don't you just love it when members join, ask a question, and never bother to come back?

Comment

It does make you wonder - and we try so hard to help If they just came back once, looked at the replies and said Thanks, then got lost........
                  Perhaps we should start a new rule - No answers given until you have posted 10 times

Comment

I belong to a French bikers forum that was always full of folks asking one question about re-registering their bikes and then buggering off. You now have to post ten times before you can even read the useful stuff, and post once in the new members intro section to activate membership. The result seems to be a smaller but more avtive forum. Of course, if you can't look around how do you know you want to join?

My mum swears by a Raymond Blanc swiss chard tart, mostly because its all cream, eggs and cheese. Too rich for me these days!
                    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chard, and how best to cook it...

Having just tried the first pickings from this Summer's sowing of Chard, I'm not sure that I'm not getting the best from it with regards to cooking. We were going to try to steam it, but boiled it lightly instead (very lazy, really: we had some water in a pan from just having boiled some potatoes; I know, I know, steaming is far better) and was ever so slightly puzzled by the taste. The leaves were pretty nice, and cooked down very much like spinach, but the stems had a slightly overpowering taste that made me wonder if I should try to remove the leaves and discard the rest (ie the stems). Has anyone else felt this on their first encounter with Chard?...

Comment

add to a pot, chop an onion finely, add and chop two potatoes (skin removed)...

boil till the potato is soft .... drain the water, return to the pot .. mash with a potato masher, add salt and fresh ground black pepper

add a little fresh cream (don't add too much as it will be runny) ..... heat, and stir continuosly until it thickens and heats up

do the same for spinach
                        Last edited by dim; 09-06-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

We had swiss chard with tea tonight but ate it raw in a salad

Comment

Small leaves raw in salad

Larger leaves I usually add to other things like stir fries, curries, stews etc - rather than have on their own.

It's the one crop that doesn't seem to be phased by slugs, whitefly, too much water, too little water, frost, snow, droughts etc. We should all eat more of it!

Comment

Thank you all!

Thank you for all your replies. I'll bear them all in mind, but I think I'd prefer to cook it rather than use it in salads. They tell me it's very nutritious, though, so I'll definitely clear the crop...

Comment

When the leaves are really big, you can take out the stem and midrib and treat that as a separate vegetable - say in a stirfry. So you'd slice the stem across into chunks and cook those first then added the shredded leaves to wilt down at the end. Delicious with a dash of soy sauce and some chopped ginger..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X