Chard, and how best to cook it...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swiss Chard?

Have grown some swiss chard - looks lovely - but I have no idea how to eat it! All suggestions gratefully tried!
    Tori

Comment

Tori you can eat the leaves and the stalks. Use the leaves like spinach - add to salads (when young) or to stews, soups, or as a steamed vegetabe, or in stir fries. The stalks can be eaten like celery - bit I don't like them.
      Try this for a start - melt some butter, add some garlic and anything else you like (herbs, courgettes, prawns) add the chard leaves, cook till wilted, eat.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

We live on chard Tori, I add it to everything.... I use it finely shredded and cooked with onion and garlic as a base in almost everything I cook. Omelettes, lasagne, pasta sauce, stews, the list is endless....

The trick is only to add 3 large leaves at a time, any more and the dish takes on a strong chard taste. But three leaves gives you all the vitamins and enough flavour.

The stems (especially the silver chard) are delicious when boiled/steamed and the covered with a cheese sauce and a little nutmeg and then baked in the oven.

Tiny chard leaves (no more than 4 inches) are lovely added to salads.

Good luck...Its worth it.

Comment

I posted a recipe for Chard Pesto last year, have a search for it, it's really nice and freezes dead well.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've run a search for the chard pesto but the only posts that come up are references to the mysterious recipe! Any chance of re-posting it or at least sending me in the right direction to find it? Sounds fab!

Comment

Wot the others say!!

Just wanted to tell you that they are growing the rainbow variety of Swiss Chard in the flower beds in Harrogate.
              I know because I picked some and ate it there and then .
              My daughter and her partner were horrified that I was eating the 'flower display'

We grow it on our lottie but it was determined to go to seed this year
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nelly View Post
                I've run a search for the chard pesto but the only posts that come up are references to the mysterious recipe! Any chance of re-posting it or at least sending me in the right direction to find it? Sounds fab!
                It's this one - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...esto_9509.html

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Cheers, m'dear! Must have been a bit thick on the searching thing... (sorry). Swiss chard has been so satisfying to grow and I love the colours of Bright Lights on my plate. I've eaten stacks of it, both cooked and in salads, and get frustrated if I've eaten it down to the bottom and have to wait for the re-growth. Next year (or even this winter), LOTS more chard!

Comment

Wow thanks everyone - tommorrows dinner will be a fabulous array of chard dishes!
                    Tori
                    P.S. my mum came round to visit the veggies and looked at the swiss chard and said 'What's that weird stuff?' and I was able to tell her your recipies and sound all clever! Ha ha!
                    Tori

Comment

Chard idea

We harvested some chard today and if like us you wonder what to do with it then this chard risotto recipe was lovely Red Chard Risotto Recipe at Epicurious.com,
                      any other ideas gratefully received.

Comment

It's brilliant in a vegetable curry - like spinach sag.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          It's brilliant in a vegetable curry - like spinach sag.
                          Oh wow, OH makes a mean curry - thanks Flummery

Comment

TEB- I never knew what a Dutch oven was til I Googled it!!!

I use swiss chard in my version of Italian bean soup.

Onions,tins toms,bacon bits, tins mixed beans,chopped swiss chard- and the odd French bean,tom puree,chicken stock and a big splodge of red wine. Garlic ,salt and basil to season.
                            Yum

Comment

lol, Nicos I read your post and thought you was having a "turn" with respect to Dutch oven - can you tell it wasnt me doing the cooking

Comment

Me..having a turn???..I'd be so lucky!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X