No announcement yet.

Veggies that scare me!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. That's the 'before' photo......the eyes and things are plucked out by A&C.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
      Distraction won't work here, not with Chef's knives. I used to be scared of sharp knives but I know how to use them now. Our knives are lethal.....

I find the best way is to slice both of the ends flat. Sit the celeriac on the root end and slice downwards, and round the curve, turning it as you go. Then cut out any particularly brown 'creases' then slice and cube.

Can someone tell me if celeriac tastes different if it's done as a gratin? I've done that, once, and it was foul. Put me off doing it again, but I wondered if it was the celeriac or something else that was foul....like my cooking so long ago.
      Celeriac as a gratin tastes exactly the same to me. Just crunchy, but I love celery and celeriac. With cheese is how I did my gratin and on top of potato mash top. If I was doing it without mash, I would add breadcrumbs as a binding agent.
      Cutting the ends off is good advice but I would still peel with a peeler. It's a hefty veg to do with a knife.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by binley100 View Post
        But you're not scared of the mouth and nose then .....
        Don't mind the nose and mouth at all - just the eyes

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
        Yup. That's the 'before' photo......the eyes and things are plucked out by A&C.
        Should I send it back since they didn't prepare it properly?

Comment

Get a refund, then prep the celeriac yourself. Go on....you know you can!
          Jules

Comment

Maybe its this week's Challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post

I think that celeriac is my 'grow something new' as part of the 52wk challenge.
              er ... ever good with the thinking ahead thing (not) - I'll need a few celeriac seeds - are there any in the Virtual Seed Parcel, VC, that you can stick in the envelope with the BBs?

Comment

er ... ever good with the thinking ahead thing (not) - I'll need a few celeriac seeds - are there any in the Virtual Seed Parcel, VC, that you can stick in the envelope with the BBs?
                If not I can swing some over.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

How about using it in a risotto VC? As a veggie don't you make those?

Comment

I don't like warty squashes I'll never grow them, and the OH had to deal with the one we got in a veg box once Can't afford a veg box now, so hopefully will never have to handle one again!

Comment

Do you fancy Monarch or unnamed, Hazel

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                        How about using it in a risotto VC? As a veggie don't you make those?
                        I had Butternut squash risotto yesterday with blue cheese.
                        I don't have a problem eating the celeriac, just the preparation thereof. Reminds me of a shrunken head. Actually it reminds me of this =

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Do you fancy Monarch or unnamed, Hazel
                          I'm easy, VC so whatever is to hand.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                            Celeriac as a gratin tastes exactly the same to me. Just crunchy, but I love celery and celeriac. With cheese is how I did my gratin and on top of potato mash top. If I was doing it without mash, I would add breadcrumbs as a binding agent.
                            Cutting the ends off is good advice but I would still peel with a peeler. It's a hefty veg to do with a knife.
                            I'm used to knives now.

When I did my celeriac gratin I did the way I would gratinee potatoes - slightly parboiled slices cooked in cream, garlic, pepper & salt and topped with grated Gruyere or Emmental cheese. I'm not sure what went wrong.....think I might try it again this weekend. I'll quarter the celeriac and get the mandolin slicer out to slice it wafer thin.

Cor.....I'm hungry now......
                            Jules

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Actually it reminds me of this =
                              If mine grow like that I'll send one back to you with a note saying

BOO!

Comment

Gives me the shivers - just thinking about opening a parcel and finding a celeriac staring up at me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X