Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that was for a 'regular starter' ?
    The main sourdough recipe doesn't include yeast to be added.

Some interesting tips too.
    -like possible failures on using chlorinated tap water ....

Just thought it was an interesting alternative...
    OH is very much into his breadmaking too these days!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Thanks, Bren. The two-pan trick sounds like a great idea to speed matters up. I've got a thick carbon steel crepe pan and some thinner carbon steel frying pans. Will start off in the crepe pan for serious heat and transfer over to the thinner pan to finish other side.

I have to say, it's all proved a lot easier than I was expecting. Using the wholemeal organic rye seems to have made it unstoppable. I had no mineral water for making the starter, just heavily chlorinated water, but I just boiled it and let it stand for a bit for any chlorine to evaporate off.

I also have to say that even though I was intrigued, I almost certainly wouldn't have tried without your encouragement, Bren and Smallblueplanet. So many thanks.

Comment

• Well, the oatcakes were an interesting experiment. I couldn't make them at lunchtime so we had them for supper. They were extremely sour. I'm guessing due to fermenting for too long? Mr Snoop was polite about them rather than keen.

I'm making bread today, so will try a sourdough preferment left to ferment over eight hours (according to recipe). Maybe that will go down better.

Any advice, Bren and SBP?

Comment

• Snoop not sure what happened to your oatcakes but it’s the sour taste that I like I’ve had piklets for lunch made with dinged discards that’s bee in the fridge since Sunday. added sultanas and garam masala very tasty.
          You’ve probably made your loaf by now hope you put up a photo.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• They really were very sour. Much more than any sourdough bread I've ever had. Anyway not put off. But in the end unable to start the loaf, as got embroiled in a problem to do with work. There's bread in the freezer and there's always tomorrow...

When you make the oatcake mixture, do you keep overnight in the fridge or at room temperature? I left it at room temperature and it is quite warm here at the moment.

Comment

• I leave it on the kitchen worktop I think putting it in the fridge might retard it some.

snoop I’ve just had a thought could the oatcake sourness be from the bicarb/baking powder I only add a small pinch.
              Last edited by Bren In Pots; 25-06-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• ^Thanks, Bren. In the first lot, I didn't add any bicarb as it was plenty bubbly on its own. However, I made a second lot and they have proved far more successful. I started off with a big heaped tablespoon of starter, a cup of oats, a cup of mixed flour (oat, wholemeal and white) and a cup of water. Left it for about six hours, by which time it was good and bubbly and had risen quite a bit, and then added oil, water and bicarb. They were quite sweet this time around. Our kitchen is very warm at the moment, so maybe less time is needed.

My first loaf was a total success, surprisingly. Half white, half French granary-style flour. Forgot the salt, though, I was so fixated on the starter. But we've had it with salty sandwich fillings and the like, so it didn't matter. Sorry for not posting a photo. I'll take one of the next loaf, promise. Likely to be all white, this time, as I'm struggling with the granary flour. I've had it before but this is a new bag and it isn't behaving the same at all. I was surprised the first loaf worked because it didn't want to absorb much water and I just poured it in, thinking it would be the same as usual. And it wasn't. Had to knead in a lot of additional flour to stop it splurging everywhere.

Comment

• Snoop glad to hear your loaf turned out well I get my flour from a local corn merchant they changed 'something' a few years back and it took me ages to get the feel for the flour after that, they sell a Canadian brown flour thats like a granary but without the bits it does make nice bread.

Comment

• A photo of last night's effort. Tastes delicious (Galician flour, renowned as the best flour grown in Spain and very expensive in comparison with supermarket flour, but great taste). The dome is from the Netherton Foundry. Sitting on top of our very primitive cast-iron range, the best thing we've ever bought apart from the house (Mr Snoop wants another so it can go in the garage for cooking in summer).

Really have to say thanks again to smallblueplanet and Bren for encouragement and advice.
                    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 02-07-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Just perfect Snoop

Comment

• Excellent, Snoop, that looks fantastic. I've started a rye loaf this morning. I find rye works really well with the sourdough flavour.

Happy baking!
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Thanks, guys. I think I've got Mr Snoop well trained now on roughly how hot the oven should be. That's the hard bit to judge because it depends on the type of wood, how big the pieces are and whether they are slightly wet/green or not, so it's a bit hit and miss. This loaf had everything going for it as regards ingredients and temperature. I was right chuffed.

I have rye flour, mothhawk. What kind of proportions to you use in relation your other flours and liquid? Keen to expand my horizons a bit. I have both white and wholemeal rye, in case that's relevant.

Comment

• That looks superb Snoop
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Mostly I use half and half, Snoop, or 2:1 rye to wheat. It does have a slower rise though, and won't rise as much. It makes a much denser bread.
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

• Thanks, mothhawk. Will give that a go.

Meanwhile, Mr Bones, the recipe was this: https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/...-pain-naturel/
                                I added quite a bit more water, though, as this flour seems very thirsty (first time using it).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X