This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is tougher than you think, Feral
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• I just bought a copy of How to Bake by Paul Hollywood.
      It's got a big section on sourdough.
      Never knew you can make it by using apples?
      But 5 days to make bread I think I'll stick to yeast bread.
      Last edited by cardiffsteve; 29-07-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Now how could we have guessed that Steve, hmmm? Maybe patience is not your middle name?

I love the idea of making bread where you don't need to buy yeast ever. And it is a local bread to me. So if I can ever get it to work for me without being ultra crusty I will be a total convert!

Comment

• Its a faff to get your starter going Steve but like Jeanie says after that its easy, and its tastes ever so nice.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Now how could we have guessed that Steve, hmmm? Maybe patience is not your middle name?
            You could be right!
            The BH calls me Mr 5 minute fad man

My BH doesnt like sourdough and also she is wheat intolerant
            Last edited by cardiffsteve; 29-07-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Ah well you see they do say that some wheat intolerant people can cope with sourdough because of the 'process.'
              I'd lend you some Feral007 starter but I'm pretty sure our border control or your immigration would intervene! Can just imagine their faces if it started bubbling up and over...........
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Herman has arrived!

Help!! Someone has left me a plastic container and a note that starts:-
                "Hello my name is Herman, I am a sourdough cake" and instructions for the next 10 days!
                There are threats too - "You cannot put me in the fridge or I will die. If I stop bubbling I am dead."
                After 10 days I'm supposed to turn Herman into an apple and raisin cake.
                Help!!!!!!
                I don't even know who left it in my kitchen while I was out.............

Edit - this explains everything - Herman's a Friendship cake!! BUT who's my friend?
                http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-called-herman
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-08-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Dunno VC - but Herman is a mixed blessing!

Comment

• I'm really worried about him! I hope he doesn't get car sick as he's going to have to travel soon As if I don't have enough to remember.........

EDIT- Oh No! Herman's even got his own website http://www.hermanthegermanfriendship...-answered-faq/ and Facebook page. He is really scary! When does a friend become a liability?
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-08-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• I travelled down from Newcastle on the train with a young lady carrying her Herman in a pot! That is when I discovered he was doing his rounds again - the last time I came across him was in the 70s.

Comment

• I've never heard of him before! What a sheltered life I've led I rarely make cakes, and only bread in the breadmaker. Aargh
                        Its like one of those computer pets - whatever they were called. If I don't feed it, it dies. Heaven help the "friend" who has left this for me!

Comment

• Anyone see British Bake Off on BBC2 tonight.
                          A guy used a sourdough starter that I think he said was 8 years old

Made some wonderful bagels and flat breads with it and Paul Hollywood was impressed.

Comment

• I think friends have to resort to pressing him on whoever will have him, VC. Everyone got Herman-ed out last time he did his rounds.

Comment

• No wonder this "Friend" left it here while I was out. I can guess who it was and I know they were in Bristol today - I'm guessing that where Herman comes from!

Comment

• LOL VC! The Feral007 starter has been vegging in the fridge since I had to go away. Will it it out later this week and get cracking again. Couldn't get the spelt flour I wanted at the health food shop so it ground to a halt. It was quite good fun while I was doing it, and not as much trouble as you'd think.

I've found a pottery style covered casserole dish so I'm planning to bake a loaf in that and see what happens. Not so crusty I hope.

I also want to make scones and caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake and see how that goes.

You can let your starter 'sleep' in the fridge, and also freeze it. But if it gets over 35 degrees hot it dies. So don't worry about a little chill, and a few days to itself. Everyone needs some down time - even Hermann!
                                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X