Be-Ro cookery book

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be-Ro cookery book

Noticed people were discussing this book and yes , I too have an ancient copy!
    However, I bought a few books from them a couple of years ago for my kids for Uni (bet they haven't even been opened!!) but one does need to feel offspring are sent off into this jolly world well equipped
    The address was

The Be-Ro kitchen
    PO Box 100
    Blackburn
    Lancs
    BB01GR

And the cost was £1.25 per book.

A very basic cookbook and clear instuctions.
    Price may have changed of course but really good value.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Thanks Nicos, after reading all the posts I'm intrigued and may invest.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

My mum still uses her Be-Ro book (its falling to bits now, its as old as me!)... I've tried to get it off her, but with no success! Going to have to invest in one!

Comment

I too have a Be Ro book. Had it a few years now and swear by it. Its falling to bits, but while there is sellotape, I'll not be parted from it.
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

I have a recent copy & swear by the highland shortbread recipe.
          Lets teach kids to cook.

Comment

Thanks Nicos! I didn't realise that Be-Ro were so close to me here in Preston! DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi, can somebody tell me what a Be-Ro book is please?

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi bramble,

It's this one halfway down the page. I find it strange that
                1. It's described as vintage
                2. some daft bugger paid a tenner for it !!

http://www.steptoesantiques.co.uk/ac...age_retro.html
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Hi Bramble, you must be younger than some of us. Bero was a brand of flour (not good flour in my book) but they did produce a very good cookery book - well mostly based on baking. It was full of wonderful recipes and really detailed baking techniques. I learned to bake with it myself but always used Great Scot flour. Much better than Bero!

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Anyone else remember when they used to give away cookery books? (or sell at a very low price)

I remember Be-Ro, also McDougalls, and I think Tate & Lyle did one too. Also you used to get the Dairy product ones. All obviously promoting their own products, but they were very good basic cookery books.

One good book I still use is "The Classic 1000 Recipes" published by Foulsham, ISBN 0-572-01671-9. Can't remember when I got it, but it covers everything from basics to winemaking and preserves. Really good value and the sort of thing you can dip into.

Comment

Doesn't Be-Ro still exist? Can't say I'd noticed.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Try http://www.be-ro.com/

They are still going, and have a newer version of the cook books, Mr D uses his as a base for most of his recipies!

Details of new book

http://www.be-ro.com/f_about.htm
                        Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 23-10-2006, 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Ah ha Mrs D! You got there just before me! Good to see its still going! Am going to order my copy now. DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi Alice, thanks for that. No, can't say i have ever heard of it but we had a basic book issued years ago by Odlums flour and it was probably based on the same thing. Also got one from the milk marketing board. Both were quite useful with basic recipes which could be adjusted.
                            As regards being younger, i wish. I,m a grandmother of four, so not so young in body but certainly young at heart.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Give someone a crossword clue..- Flower....Bee something Rrrr something (four letters)

BERO of course...wallah!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X